Scotland V England

mizfit

Gordon overall was poor. At 2-1 with a couple of mins to go we should be seeing any game out. Would we have taken a draw at kick off yes but its how we get the draw thats a scunner.

Cmon scotland cmon.

Thought he was In part responsible for the second goal, and had one of his poorest games for Scotland. However he has been a hero for us on a lot of previous occasions.

Don't agree with the criticism of Hart...sounds like typical arrogant English to commentators deflecting blame. Both were wonderful strikes from Griffiths who worked tirelessly with little support due to Strachan's unbelievably negative tactics.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are people coming out with "great game from Griffiths"? P and B was pointing and laughing at him until the 87th minute, for good reason. Yes, he struck two decent free kicks in the dying moments, but that doesn't equate to a "great game". Hart will take a hammering for those goals. 

Griffiths played as well as he possibly could have. He ran all day, and held it up pretty well.

Maybe blew a half chance or two but then more than made up for it.

Unbelievable overall game for him.

Why are people coming out with "great game from Griffiths"? P and B was pointing and laughing at him until the 87th minute, for good reason. Yes, he struck two decent free kicks in the dying moments, but that doesn't equate to a "great game". Hart will take a hammering for those goals. 

Tbf to him he had zero to work with, Armstrong (who presumably was there to help him) was absolutely no where all game. I thought Griffiths ran himself into the ground and was nuisance enough for the England defenders.

Not long back.
Gutted at the end but absolute scenes at our 2 goals.
England are a fairly limited team but clearly have a level of quality that we can only dream of.
 It`s not a bad result and all credit to the players who gave their all but it`s a real uphill task as others have stated. 
Some decent displays from some of our players today.
Snodgrass was really poor and for all the energy Anya brings his second touch is often a tackle.

This is exactly my feelings on the match.

Snod needs to find form before playing for us again. Anya was pretty good defending and ran all day but was so poor on the ball.

So many Scotland players were absolutely dead on their feet at the end. We probably didn't really deserve to equalise as they looked comfortable for the most part. But boom, and then boom again. Sometimes it's like that.

I'd really like to see a big improvement in our set piece deliveries. That should be a big part of our game but until grif's heroics our set pieces were woeful. We played some nice stuff at times, but no real cutting edge until the end.

Strachan got the very best out of that team today. It was nearly a very special win. But hey ho.

That's fucking football.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Tbf to him he had zero to work with, Armstrong (who presumably was there to help him) was absolutely no where all game. I thought Griffiths ran himself into the ground and was nuisance enough for the England defenders.

I thought Armstrong did ok. Quite often he was filling in when Brown was in advance of him. Not his best game but he still looks the part to me.

Fair enough, but "he ran all day" or "he ran himself into the ground" isn't in itself "great". I agree with you though re Armstrong, who offered v little (like Anya)

Fair enough, but "he ran all day" or "he ran himself into the ground" isn't in itself "great". I agree with you though re Armstrong, who offered v little (like Anya)

I disagree about Armstrong. On the ball he is very, very good - and was at the heart of the good stuff we did. It just didn't quite go for him with the killer ball today and then his f**k up at the end was a disaster.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I disagree about Armstrong. On the ball he is very, very good - and was at the heart of the good stuff we did. It just didn't quite go for him with the killer ball today and then his f**k up at the end was a disaster.

Yep it didn`t really work for Armstrong today but I thought he showed some flashes of real quality. He has a level of ability  on the ball that is crucial at this level. He made a bad decision at the end but the guy has the quality that we are crying out for.

Every time the ball was played into him, regardless of the quality of pass he took in in and played a pass. He was excellent and deserved his goals at the end. No idea what you're really expecting tbh.

28 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Lex's post is fairly dramatic but I do agree with the sentiment. Bar the obvious scenes at the goals, it was for the most part another uninspiring performance and Slovakia and Slovenia's wins leave us well out of it. Does anyone genuinely think we'll qualify? 

I genuinely didn't think we'd qualify after we dropped points at home to Lithuania in the second game.

International football is cut-throat, and if you can't deal with the shite teams at home you're fucked, as it means results like today's which would normally be decent, are essentially pointless.

Armstrong will most likely be a vital player for us if we're to qualify for Euro 2020, I reckon. Another year under Rodgers', or a good manager down south's, guidance and he'll go from strength to strength.
We could have a decent enough team in some areas. Tierney and Robertson full-backs, Fraser and Burke on the wings, Armstrong and Cairney in the middle and Griffiths up top. Sadly there are just no centre-backs (I'm hoping to God that Lindsay gets even better) or 'keepers. All of our defensive midfielders are getting older, too.

Just back in the hotel after the game. Haven't read the comments but despite being gutted at the result I am also actually pretty happy about it as well.

I thought we played well, they were dead on their feet by the end. Much as I have slagged Strachan in the past, he got the team and subs pretty spot on.

The scenes at the second goal though, unbelievable.

Still fucking seething we couldn't hold on. If we had it's the sort of things you'd be telling the grand kids about the thumb scoring two wonder goals against those vastly overrated c***s. I'd have been happy with a draw at kick off but that was sickening. Fully expected them to equalise too which says a lot. 

Would've been nice to get the win to dish out many GIRUYs to those cretins that call our leagues 'tinpot' and "their nans could score for fun in Scotland". 

Guest bernardblack

Future looks bright tbh. Think a lot of fans (maybe the older ones who have seen the glory days) need to lower expectations. We had a league one centre half playing against the English golden boot winner today. Keeper had a bad day....that happens.

Tierney, Robertson, Paterson, cairney, Burke, Fraser, Armstrong.....plenty there for the next few years.

Edit for spelling

We saw the finish line, right within our reach, and panted it. What a timid little loser nation we are, in so many ways.

When you associate a few incidents in a football match with a whole nation of people you reveal yourself to be a bit of a tube tbh.

Archived