Scotland V England

mizfit

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This squad more or less picks itself (especially with it being as big as 29!). Only contentious selections are probably not having Burke, Shinnie, McGregor and sticking with guys like McGinn.

Hanley, Phillips & presumably Ritchie are injured. Rhodes has been out of favour, and Strachan isn't a big fan of his anyway.

Can't think of many others who would improve that squad.

Having Martin plus Berra/Mulgrew/Reynolds at the back is going to be exciting!

Mon tae f**k. If he includes McGregor instead of McLean folk would be moaning why McLean isn't in the squad.

Can only have a certain amount of centre mids.

McGregor >>>>>>>>>>>>> McLean.

McLean's general play has been very good since about November, following a fairly sluggish start to the season. His final product is occasionally found wanting, but he is usually excellent between the halfway line and the edge of the opposition 18-yard box. Maybe I'm looking at this through red-tinted glasses, but I think he has done just enough to warrant a call-up over McGregor.

I am as surprised as seemingly everybody else by Reynolds' inclusion, but I do feel that some of the criticism directed at him is a little on the harsh side. Our defence has been good this season, and Reynolds' improved form has contributed to that. He has weaknesses in the air and sometimes against more physically imposing attackers, but his positioning and reading of the game is certainly better than many centre-backs in the Premiership - although we admittedly aren't blessed in this department. When he has dropped out of the team this season either due to injury, suspension or otherwise, McInnes has usually reverted to him by choice rather than necessity - and doing so in December solidified our defence and helped to improve our season. He undoubtedly has his share of deficiencies, but I think he is a bit underrated. Nevertheless, I thought Lindsay might have got the nod after an impressive season - I can only conclude that Strachan is favouring experience if he is forced to call upon Reynolds at some stage. 

I'm disappointed for Shinnie as he has, in my opinion, been our best and most consistent performer over the course of this season. Scotland are perhaps stronger in midfield than elsewhere, but I nevertheless think he is unfortunate to miss out over McGinn and Bannan.

I'm fine with Burke going to the Toulon tournament instead, makes sense. McGregor not being in the squad is bizare, especially when Barry Bannan & John McGinn have managed to get in. 

Does anyone have any experience in tickets being lost in the post?

I phoned the SFA this morning. They confirmed they had been printed and sent, probably within a few days of ordering them (a month ago). Got told there's nothing they can do because Hampden doesn't have electronic gates they can't cancel the tickets and replace them. I've to phone back the week of the game to see if they have a contingency plan sorted. Nothing in place just now because it's a high security fixture. Worried.

51 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

Does anyone have any experience in tickets being lost in the post?

I phoned the SFA this morning. They confirmed they had been printed and sent, probably within a few days of ordering them (a month ago). Got told there's nothing they can do because Hampden doesn't have electronic gates they can't cancel the tickets and replace them. I've to phone back the week of the game to see if they have a contingency plan sorted. Nothing in place just now because it's a high security fixture. Worried.

I'd be waiting for the postman's next delivery with a baseball bat.

3 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

Has anyone else noticed the difference between the squads released by SFA's twitter and BBC Sport Scotland? BBC doesn't list Allan McGregor or Charlie Mugrew as being selected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39998863

This was confusing me also. Perhaps the twitter image is incorrect as four keepers does seem a bit odd.

Where are folk hearing that Burke is in the Toulon squad?

I know it's only Wikipedia but there is a full squad already listed with no mention of Burke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Toulon_Tournament_squads#Scotland

Edit: Just saw the Daily Record article. He is included in place of the injured Greg Kiltie... Apparently.

heading through on an early train for this. whats the best pubs near hampden?

The montford is good.

Think we're going to Ark, nice beer garden so hopefully it's sunny all day.

Archived