Scotland V England

mizfit

Strachan has his favourites and he's going to stick by them.

Ritchie is the most bizarre of a few bizarre omissions.  He's just had a cracking season at Newcastle who've won the Championship.  He played 52 games and scored 16 goals...Yet not in the squad?

He would have been in my starting 11 never mind the squad.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'd have argued Ritchie was one of his favourites up until now. I feel like Starchan just likes to be a contrarian and do the opposite of what people would expect him to do.

McGinn is in because he is (potentially) the future of the national team. But then he should also be picking Burke and Hanley for the same reason. And not picking the likes of McLean or Murphy. (No disrespect to them)

I think we are all in agreement that the first 11 should be heavy on Celtic players

I am stunned that Reynolds was selected ahead of Shinnie but considering the dearth of Centre Halves you can kind of see why he was selected him, we just have to hope he doesn't need to pass the football as his use of the ball is abysmal.

Similar team to last time out and should give England a bit of a scare but that that will be all really. I know some think Strachan will then walk but a "brave" defeat will keep giving him hope. 6 More months and he will be gone so its not all that long to wait really.

The omission of Burke I can actually understand. I've watched most of his contributions in the Bundesliga and I can't see how he would come on against England and make an impact. I would probably keep him in the U21's for now, and see how he starts next season for Leipzig.

How much football has Burke played?Not that that's mattered in the past, but curious.

He plays a part in most games, doesn't he? 65 odd minutes a start, and then a 10 minutes cameo from the bench when he doesn't.

He started the last RB game. Didn't do much. But still.

The omission of Burke I can actually understand. I've watched most of his contributions in the Bundesliga and I can't see how he would come on against England and make an impact. I would probably keep him in the U21's for now, and see how he starts next season for Leipzig.

Was he included in the U21 squad?

BBC on Burke:

But Strachan said that the 20-year-old had been left out his squad because he thought it unfair to put so much pressure on a young player who has lacked first-team starts.

God forbid we can bring on a substitute who's accustomed to having to make an impact as a substitute.

Burke set to play in the Toulon tourny with the U20s instead. Fair enough imo.

McGinn over McGregor/Shinnie is just baffling though.

In that case,justified for me. He'll be much better served playing at an age group where he can excel than featuring briefly for the senior team in a game we're likely to get pummeled in. Next campaign I'd expect him to become far more important

So what does that make the team... 

probably

gordon

tierney

martin

Mulgrew

robertson

brown

mcarthur/fletcher

armstrong

forrest

snodgrass

griffiths

it's a shame fraser was injured for last squad as I'd have quite liked him in from start in place of forrest or snodgrass but doubt strachan would give a starting debut in this game

edited to add mulgrew, hadn't seen him in squad

The defensive selections show exactly why we won't make the WC. Not a fan of Strachan in this role and to be fair he doesn't have too many options. Pretty mediocre options we have unfortunately.

Where is Ritchie?

I also think they should have still snuck Burke in, whilst not starting regularly, he is an exceptional talent in one of the best leagues in the world.

Archived