Queens V Dundee Utd

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointing we have had two dreadful runs at points in the season, could have been an interesting finish had we even 3/4 points more. Think that's us safe now but avoiding defeat next week would secure it.  

Like many others I have been urging the manager to set up positively and be attack minded.

He did that today and what a difference. It would have been easy for the players to retreat into a defensive shell after being pegged back twice but we kept trying to win the game and were rewarded with a terrific 4-2 win.

Played well today and were deserved winners. Good decision to drop Mercer (should have been dropped weeks ago) as by deploying Jacobs at RB it allowed Thomson to slot into central midfield.

Dobbie MOM by a distance with Thomas also excellent.

Enjoyed that, entertaining game which we deserved to win, albeit it was anyone's game with 10 mins left. 

People round about me had just been disparaging Dykes as not really being a striker when he popped up with the third goal, after a long ball from Brownlie, another one who hasn't always been everyone's favourite!

United had plenty possession but fortunately didn't do much with it. They seemed happy to knock tha ball about miles away from the danger area and ran out of ideas as they approached our goal.

Although a long ball over the top and a shot from distance were enough to crack our un-watertight defence. But United's defence was even more porous than ours,   although we were much more attack minded today so for once it came off.

Feel we're safe now, it would be good to finish with a flourish and secure 5th.

Most people around me were content and would have taken a point with 15-20mins to go. Once game got back to 2-2 Queens lost all shape, confidence and were second to every ball. I think the changes helped in freshening things up at a  time when we were struggling to hold onto the ball and create anything.

Like a number of other games this season a good first half performance should have seen us out of sight. What a difference scoring the first goal makes and going ahead. It makes the away team come out a bit more leaving space to play.

What an enjoyable game! Two dodgy defences, in our case a particularly dodgy keeper, and unlike the St Mirren game we managed to score a couple while the better side in the first half. I thought Jacobs was a good pick at RB. Robinson continues to  amaze and annoy by turns. He had a major part in both United goals - a bigger part than Mikkelson imo. Tbf he did charge out and save bravely at a forward's feet later but wtf was he doing at the first goal, when there were two defenders trying to deal with it? The shot in the second half did dip at the last minute and that may have made it difficult for him to knock it over the bar. In the end it became an easy tap in. 

Dykes scores and assists the OG - in the same season. Well, well. Great entertainment.

1 hour ago, QOSQOS said:

Enjoyed that, entertaining game which we deserved to win, albeit it was anyone's game with 10 mins left. 

People round about me had just been disparaging Dykes as not really being a striker when he popped up with the third goal, after a long ball from Brownlie, another one who hasn't always been everyone's favourite!

United had plenty possession but fortunately didn't do much with it. They seemed happy to knock tha ball about miles away from the danger area and ran out of ideas as they approached our goal.

Although a long ball over the top and a shot from distance were enough to crack our un-watertight defence. But United's defence was even more porous than ours,   although we were much more attack minded today so for once it came off.

Feel we're safe now, it would be good to finish with a flourish and secure 5th.

The long ball over the top was a deflected clearance from our defence, which Mikkelson looked a good yard offside from.

...People round about me had just been disparaging Dykes as not really being a striker when he popped up with the third goal...

Possibly sitting near me. I thought he looked disinterested from the minute he came on. I'm not convinced he'll be a striker either tbh. For a big lad he's pushed off the ball too easily for my liking and seems to wait until the last second to jump for headers meaning more often than not he doesn't win them. Saying that he won the most important one today by assisting the fourth goal.

Robinson needs to be dropped and Atkinson given a run, those two goals gifted to United were goalkeeping errors.

As expected.

The first one I'd blame Jacobs. No idea what he was thinking and the ball should have been knocked out for a throw in. If Robinson stays put Mikkelson has a clear one on one opportunity (absolutely no way Brownlie and Higgins were getting near him btw) or he comes out and narrows the angle/buys time for his defenders to get back. He chose the latter option and I thought the CB's had got back in time. The angle looked impossible to score from and I was actually shocked it went in tbh. I was quite far away though so it may not have been as tight as I thought.

The second one was a freak shot. It looked like it dipped in front of him at the last second. It was too low to knock over the bar therefore a parry was always going to be the outcome and hope it lands at one of our players feet. Unfortunately it doesn't. Was there any hint of offside there?

Out if interest. What do the Jim Lovers think Atkinson would have done differently? And fail to mention his outstanding save early on as well I notice :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I fucking love Ray McKinnon.

I'm glad to see you coming out, on P&B too.  Not sure this is the right thread for it but good on you.

Not sure if it will be reciprocated; can't see Ray going for a chubster like you bu who knows.

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Possibly sitting near me. I thought he looked disinterested from the minute he came on. I'm not convinced he'll be a striker either tbh. For a big lad he's pushed off the ball too easily for my liking and seems to wait until the last second to jump for headers meaning more often than not he doesn't win them. Saying that he won the most important one today by assisting the fourth goal.

As expected.

The first one I'd blame Jacobs. No idea what he was thinking and the ball should have been knocked out for a throw in. If Robinson stays put Mikkelson has a clear one on one opportunity (absolutely no way Brownlie and Higgins were getting near him btw) or he comes out and narrows the angle/buys time for his defenders to get back. He chose the latter option and I thought the CB's had got back in time. The angle looked impossible to score from and I was actually shocked it went in tbh. I was quite far away though so it may not have been as tight as I thought.

The second one was a freak shot. It looked like it dipped in front of him at the last second. It was too low to knock over the bar therefore a parry was always going to be the outcome and hope it lands at one of our players feet. Unfortunately it doesn't. Was there any hint of offside there?

Out if interest. What do the Jim Lovers think Atkinson would have done differently? And fail to mention his outstanding save early on as well I notice :rolleyes:

You'd like to think Mikkelson was offside for the second, but I suspect he wasnt. As I said earlier, he looked clearly offside for the first

He certainly didn't looked disinterested IMO

FAO 19QOS19 ^^

We all see things differently but I just thought he looked like he was 'going through the motions' up until his goal. Even his celebration looked half arsed :lol:

It's quite possible that he just isn't as fast as I thought. He looked quite quick to me at the beginning of the season but against Falkirk he had (what I thought was) a 50/50 race with the 'keeper and he never got close to it. And today I thought he looked more sluggish than earlier in the season. But as I say it may not be "disinterested", more just less quick than I thought!

We all see things differently but I just thought he looked like he was 'going through the motions' up until his goal. Even his celebration looked half arsed [emoji38]

It's quite possible that he just isn't as fast as I thought. He looked quite quick to me at the beginning of the season but against Falkirk he had (what I thought was) a 50/50 race with the 'keeper and he never got close to it. And today I thought he looked more sluggish than earlier in the season. But as I say it may not be "disinterested", more just less quick than I thought!

Boy must be tired .

18 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You'd like to think Mikkelson was offside for the second, but I suspect he wasnt. As I said earlier, he looked clearly offside for the first

For the first the ball to Jacobs put him under a lot of pressure and he was quickly closed down. I'm sure it was him who played the ball back into no mans land so no offside (will need to see it again)

How close were we in the goal moth scramble in the second half. Did defender play ball when on ground like Higgins in first half when a free kick was awarded against him

A talking point of the game. In the first half one of our players was penalised for trapping the ball while on the deck (can't remember who. Marshall?). In the second half when there was a scramble in the Utd box the Utd CB practically sat on the ball and yet a penalty wasn't awarded. Surely a foul is a foul regardless of where it's committed? I don't think I've ever seen our players surround an official like that before and I've never seen Dobbie as furious. If there's one thing worse than poor officiating it's inconsistently poor officiating!

Archived