Dundee United v Ayr United - 28 March 2017

3 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

The refusal to face facts and drop Harkins plus McCall's baffling obsession with Scott McKenna through December and January might be what gets us relegated.

Basically this. Balatoni/Meggat was/is by far our best CB pairing.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with Harkins is McCall has signed here m without really knowing how he is going to fit into the team. He has played him in numerous positions of without success and seems to be trying to hard to impress now.
I think he is the sort of player if we had built the team round him he would be excellent, but we have tried to shoehorn him in to an existing team and it hasn't worked. I think he could do well next year if we go full time and McCall picks a formation / system that suits him

Harkins is bone idle.  All of this stuff about him playing out of position is just excuses.  He is, I assume, the highest paid player at the club as well as 1st team coach and yet his contribution since late November time had been absolutely zilch.  The guy has quality, but if you look at the number of clubs he's played for in his career, it speaks volumes.  His attitude stinks.  On Saturday we couldn't even trust him enough to put him on as a late sub for Forrest into what in theory is his best position (against 10 men).  I appreciate the argument that he is capable of moments of brilliance, but they are too rare to justify the damage he does in the meantime.   

Harkins was fantastic for his first few weeks (months?) but he has sadly tailed off since then. It really doesn't suit him to be playing in a team that's up against it most weeks, if you stuck him in the Hibs team he'd look a different player... unlike quite a few of our players!

Of course Harkins would never get a game for Hibs because they've got guys who are equally talented but actually put a shift in as well. It's the same with all good teams -they need players who have both talent and application - which is why Harkins has spent his entire career lumbering from one piss poor team to another. Eventually, if he drops down the leagues far enough he'll find some place where he'll stand out. Or he'll throw in the towel and pitch up on Sportsound offering his opinion on more successful players. Probably the latter.

51 minutes ago, rb123! said:

McKenna wasn't even on the bench at the weekend.

Murphy was, we've punted better youngsters than McKenna out on loan in recent years.

McKinnon's interview on ArabZone said he was delighted with Robson and Coote but he is wary about "burn out". Toshney is doing a photo thing before the game in the club shop with Dillon and Spittal so no appearance from him tonight either. I'd start both Coote and Robson but I think Dixon will definitely be back in the team with possibly Nicholls or Murray in for Cootes midfield position.

My team -

Bell
VdS (if fit)
Durnan
Edge
Robson

Telfer
Flood

Coote
Andreu
Murray

Mikkelson

Raymondo's team -

Bell
Murdoch
Durnan
Edge
Dixon

Flood
Telfer

Nicholls
Andreu
VdV

Murray

Get into this pile o p1sh

R Team P W D L GF GA GD Pts Form
1 St. Mirren 6 4 1 1 9 4 +5 13 WWLDWW
2 Greenock Morton 6 3 2 1 6 4 +2 11 WDDWWL
3 Ayr 6 3 1 2 7 9 -2 10 DLWLWW
4 Dunfermline 6 2 3 1 9 5 +4 9 DWDDLW
5 Hibernian 6 2 3 1 8 8 0 9 DDLWDW
6 Falkirk 6 2 2 2 11 8 +3 8 DDWWLL
7 Raith Rovers 6 2 1 3 6 9 -3 7 LLWLWD
8 Dumbarton 6 1 3 2 12 13 -1 6 DDLWDL
9 Queen of South 6 1 2 3 4 8 -4 5 WLDLLD
10 Dundee United 6 1 1 4 7 10 -3 4 WLDLLL

Would take a point in this. However, a win would be massive and would set us up nicely for Saturday.

We've done well in recent weeks but I fear this might just be a stretch too far for us despite United's poor run of form.

I think I would go with the same team that have started the last two games providing they're all fit. Rose wasn't as good vs Dumbarton but he still did okay and doesn't warrant being dropped.

I'll be there hoping for a decent performance, no injuries and to sneak a result.

Archived