Stenhousemuir vs Albion Rovers - Relegation decider?

That was fucking garbage. Fair play to Albion Rovers - they impressed me, particularly the movement of their front three (and Ross Stewart especially) and, other than a brief spell after the interval, they were the better team throughout. They're a side I admire and probably envy a bit. I can't fathom why they've been struggling this season but that result should just about see them safe from automatic relegation

But Stenhousemuir were easy opponents to play against and just didn't look like they were up for it. Given the importance of the match and what was at stake, it was distressing to see us play to meekly. I don't think we were especially bad but we just didn't look like we appreciated the magnitude of the game. The third goal summed that up - Scott McBride should never have been able to body an entire backline and score. Stewart's first goal too, while expertly taken, was the same and the striker should never have been allowed to strut into our penalty box and pass the ball into the net. I reckon David Crawford must have thought it was going wide, he didn't even move for it.

So here we are, four points adrift at the foot of the table with six games left to play for. The good feeling after beating Peterhead three weeks ago has gone - back then, I thought we'd stay up but not now. Ninth if we're lucky. What a damn shame.

2 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

just didn't look like they were up for it. Given the importance of the match and what was at stake, it was distressing to see us play to meekly. I don't think we were especially bad but we just didn't look like we appreciated the magnitude of the game. 

Couldn't agree more. If they couldn't motivate themselves for this game then what chance to do we realistically have and unless there is a drastic turn around it's going to be a long couple of months. 

I can't understand fergusons insistence with leaving mcmenamin on the park as well as he offered very little today. 

Does McMenamin and Robertson work as a front pair? I wasn't there yesterday and haven't seen much of them together but I don't personally see how that will work. It offers nothing in behind or different and if you are against a strong defence, play direct and don't use the wings (like Livingston, which was an awful performance) it's too easy to defende against in my opinion.

Next week is win or bust. It's as simple as that. We can't afford anything less than 3 points next week and expect to stay up with so few games remaining when we are not capable of stringing two or three wins together.

Is Marsh back? We look particularly weak at the back when Meechan and McCormack are part of the same back line. One is fine but both of them have been poor this season compared to last. Another option could be Duthie at right back to get Furtado back in the team a player of his talent should not be sitting on the bench in our hour of need.

The Marsh sending off last week was a disaster. What a chump he is. With him and Kerr we looked solid. But we have no cover. I'd play Grant Hamilton ahead of Meechan at centre half. He is that bad. Totally lost in that position.   

Duthie and berry might have been the only ones that got pass marks yesterday. 

Mccormack is pish. Doesn't look interested at all. At one point under no pressure at all he managed to f**k up a ten yard back pass to D.C. and put the ball out for a corner.

Agree that meechan is a much better right back and I also would have had Hamilton in at centre half with meechan at right back, I can only assume hamiltons lack of experience and possibly game time went against him that being said on the one occasion that I have saw Hamilton this year I thought he looked like he could do a job at this level.

where to start with cook as well? Ran 60 yards with the ball, didn't pass it despite having more than one chance to get rid of it, got robbed in the middle of the park, made no attempt to win it back and just watched as rovers went up the park and scored. Then had the fuckin cheek to laugh about it as he walked back over to the wing. I like cook and when he has his one good game in 4 he can be unplayable but when he's playing badly he's a waste of a shirt and another one who doesn't look like he gives a f**k at times. 

The goalkeeper got injured again yesterday. I wonder if that'll be the last of him in a stenny shirt. Heard good things about the guy bowman but never saw him play in the flesh. 

Right, rant over. Looking forward to next week now. 

Marsh is suspended for next week after he kicked the guy he fouled last week.

Don't think Brown knows what he is doing, some of his decisions have been questionable. His decision to start Ally Roy against a strong back 3 on Tuesday really summed it up. 

As for yesterday, for a must win game nobody showed up. I think the hype around Mason is finally over and he looked lost yesterday. Don't recall him or Colin winning a duel in the air.

Think for next week, we need to change it up. Either start Colin or Mason with Oli Shaw if he is available, if not give Jack Smith a shot. 

15 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

That was fucking garbage. Fair play to Albion Rovers - they impressed me, particularly the movement of their front three (and Ross Stewart especially) and, other than a brief spell after the interval, they were the better team throughout. They're a side I admire and probably envy a bit. I can't fathom why they've been struggling this season but that result should just about see them safe from automatic relegation

But Stenhousemuir were easy opponents to play against and just didn't look like they were up for it. Given the importance of the match and what was at stake, it was distressing to see us play to meekly. I don't think we were especially bad but we just didn't look like we appreciated the magnitude of the game. The third goal summed that up - Scott McBride should never have been able to body an entire backline and score. Stewart's first goal too, while expertly taken, was the same and the striker should never have been allowed to strut into our penalty box and pass the ball into the net. I reckon David Crawford must have thought it was going wide, he didn't even move for it.

So here we are, four points adrift at the foot of the table with six games left to play for. The good feeling after beating Peterhead three weeks ago has gone - back then, I thought we'd stay up but not now. Ninth if we're lucky. What a damn shame.

Don't worry. You have still to play Peterhead again. Another easy 3 points for you.

11 minutes ago, CEMSFC said:

Don't think Brown knows what he is doing, some of his decisions have been questionable. His decision to start Ally Roy against a strong back 3 on Tuesday really summed it up. 

As for yesterday, for a must win game nobody showed up. I think the hype around Mason is finally over and he looked lost yesterday. Don't recall him or Colin winning a duel in the air.

Think for next week, we need to change it up. Either start Colin or Mason with Oli Shaw if he is available, if not give Jack Smith a shot. 

Agree. Some of his decisions yesterday were baffling.

I would be tempted to start Shaw and Robertson. At least Robertson can win the ball in the air and has the ability to hold it up. As much as I like mcmenamin I don't think he's technically as strong as Shaw and Robertson. I've not saw anything of Roy to suggest he should start or play before smith. 

Realistically it can only get better. 

The decision to play Roy against Livingston was completely fine. A more mobile player against slow centre backs and he caused them bother when he was given the ball in the right areas but more often than not the ball was launched. Would have made little difference who was up front against Livingston if you are going to play in that manner.

Shaw was just coming on to a game before he went away with the Scotland set up. If he's available next week I would imagine he is a shoe in to start with either Robertson or Coco.

5 minutes ago, Neilly said:

The decision to play Roy against Livingston was completely fine. A more mobile player against slow centre backs and he caused them bother when he was given the ball in the right areas but more often than not the ball was launched. Would have made little difference who was up front against Livingston if you are going to play in that manner.

I know he caused them bother, but he has no strength. He went up against a strong back 3 and the only way to get the ball to him was on the ground as they kept winning the ball in the air.

You were alluding that Roy starting against Livingston was a bad decision by Bomber which 'summed it up' when it was a perfectly acceptable move. The manager can't be on the park to stop the players battering it up the park, our lack of composure on the ball in that game was unbelievable.

Not sure anyone can question Cook's commitment to the cause. It's quite offensive. In actual fact, the effort throughout the team I think has been excellent. Connor Duthie was a good example yesterday. He isn't even our player. As I said earlier, David Marsh stupidity and our inability to have adequate cover, ultimately have been our undoing. That was our biggest issue in the 1st quarter of the season, and we are now back to conceding laughable goals and heavy defeats. It is such a shame because at times this season we have looked as good as anyone else in this league. 

Archived