Scotland vs Slovenia

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was it aye?? Strachan, for the first time has stated this is a must win, his words. Its his last chance or he goes for me. Its really quite simple.

According to the media at the time, and according to a lot of fans, the England game was must win given our lack of points against Lithuania and Slovakia.

Good to hear that Strachan has finally recognised that his team has to win a game. Will he manage it?

The 'must win' thing is irritating.
The first two fixtures were 'must wins' in the context of the competition, as they involved weak opposition.
Our failure to beat Lithuania, rendered Slovakia away a 'must win'.
Our humiliation in Slovakia rendered Wembley a 'must win'.
Our humiliation at Wembley rendered tomorrow's game meaningless.
This is the one Strachan calls a 'must win'.

Yep.

6 Oct 2001 - Scotland v Latvia - 23,228

As I thought, it's set to be the lowest for a Hampden game that I've been at.
It really does get me down; there was so much positivity when Strachan was appointed. Being in Germany for the start of the Euros qualifying was as positive as I've seen Scotland fans since the infamous 2008 qualifiers. Now we won't even get 30,000 for a qualifier. Did it all go downhill after the Gibraltar game where he played 1 at the back? After that game he deservedly criticised the players, but he has nothing but praise for them after a 1-1 draw with Lithuania.
He really has lost it, and his ego is the only thing keeping him in a job. I think he'll go after defeat/a draw tomorrow though.

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

'Wembley' is an incorrect southern name for 'Cuppy', I believe, yes. 

And I take it 'Cuppy' is a bizarre shortened version of the proper name 'World Cup'? 

Having said that, we used to play and call it 'Knock-out' and strangely only now and again played 'World Cup' - the main difference being that we all chose a country to be beforehand (Cue arguments about who had shouted "I'll go Brazil" first) - and very rarely, if we had enough players 'Pairs' (which may or not have included the controversial "must pass at least twice" rule).

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

As I thought, it's set to be the lowest for a Hampden game that I've been at.
It really does get me down; there was so much positivity when Strachan was appointed. Being in Germany for the start of the Euros qualifying was as positive as I've seen Scotland fans since the infamous 2008 qualifiers. Now we won't even get 30,000 for a qualifier. Did it all go downhill after the Gibraltar game where he played 1 at the back? After that game he deservedly criticised the players, but he has nothing but praise for them after a 1-1 draw with Lithuania.
He really has lost it, and his ego is the only thing keeping him in a job. I think he'll go after defeat/a draw tomorrow though.

It was the Dublin game for me. That was a missed opportunity but if we then went to Tbilisi and won it gets forgotten about. It turned in Dublin then rapidly plummeted like a fucking stone when the game in Tbilisi ended. we've been desperately trying to keep our head above water ever since.

21 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

And I take it 'Cuppy' is a bizarre shortened version of the proper name 'World Cup'? 

Having said that, we used to play and call it 'Knock-out' and strangely only now and again played 'World Cup' - the main difference being that we all chose a country to be beforehand (Cue arguments about who had shouted "I'll go Brazil" first) - and very rarely, if we had enough players 'Pairs' (which may or not have included the controversial "must pass at least twice" rule).

it was always cuppy doubles for us, or just cuppy if there wasn't enough. Those were the days.

9 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

'World Cup' is another incorrect name for 'Cuppy', I believe; I have also heard some misguided individuals using the term 'Cuppies'. 'Pairs' is 'Cuppy Doubles'; playing as individuals is 'Cuppy Singles'. I can faintly recall using the "must pass at least twice" rule, though; and a 'no poaching' one - and some controversially disallowed goals as a result of said rules. 

I have no evidence or rationale to back this up but I have a feeling we will win 2 - 1 tomoz Snodgrass penalty and and Griffiths to score the winner...... I usually get this feeling before Scotland game however it melts away into panic after the first 10 mins of the game lol the good thing about this game is that expectations are rock bottom most people I have spoke to think we are going to get beat - this is weirdly when Scotland tend to win!!!

1 minute ago, skippy2015 said:

most people I have spoke to think we are going to get beat - this is weirdly when Scotland tend to win!!!

An absolute myth.

With very very few exceptions, when Scotland are expected to lose, they lose.

The Canada game was as lifeless a performance as I can remember. Forget about it though, we will be better tomorrow. My main worry is that I can't honestly predict what team will start. Wee Gordos complete lack of understanding makes it hard for me (and impossible for him).

I'll go with the flow here and say we'll draw. Ultimately not good enough to ever qualify, but not bad enough to get him the sack. Even if we lose he won't get the sack. For whatever bizarre reason the SFA bellends won't do a thing.

An absolute myth.
With very very few exceptions, when Scotland are expected to lose, they lose.

Ok I'm grasping at straws lol [emoji23] I do think we will win tomoz however 2-1 watch this space - I will expect the quotes to come in when we are 2 nil down at half time

3 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Ok I'm grasping at straws lol emoji23.png I do think we will win tomoz however 2-1 watch this space - I will expect the quotes to come in when we are 2 nil down at half time

To be honest, I think we might win tomorrow too, although I'd see a draw as likelier.

I don't think it really matters either way though - qualification is gone.

Our defence is garbage, the manager is a dead man walking who talks about the game like some Alzheimer's grandfather wittering on about grand kids he doesn't even actually remember and it will be played in stadium with less atmosphere than a cemetery.

We are going to get gubbed, I'm glad we are going to get gubbed and we need to get gubbed so we can get some change.  OK, the SFA will be in charge of that change and will inevitable f**k it up but we need at least SOMETHING to re-enthuse the nation - a hammering so we can turf out all the fucking losers clogging up our international team.

Once again we're at that stage when loads of so-called fans are openly hoping for a Scotland loss.

I don't know what anyone thinks this achieves, other than make you look a bit feeble.

Support the fucking team and then criticise/call for the manager to go. Or f**k off and watch something else.

Once again we're at that stage when loads of so-called fans are openly hoping for a Scotland loss.

I don't know what anyone thinks this achieves, other than make you look a bit feeble.

Support the fucking team and then criticise/call for the manager to go. Or f**k off and watch something else.

Hiya Mark, hiya pal [emoji57]

Archived