Scotland vs Slovenia

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

In what way is playing against Canada in a meaningless friendly in front of 2 men and a dog performing 'at a level beyond our pub league'? The best player on the park in that game plays in the league below our pub league!

Armstrong has performed in numerous big games this season domestically and in Europe, not sure why people think players need 'given a chance' in crappy friendlies to somehow prove themselves. There is a lot of myth about players being 'able to step up to international level' like it is a much higher standard or a totally different game, when it's not. Every round of fixtures you'll see players who can't even get a game for their clubs but perform well in the internationals.

Also, no-one who would be ahead of Armstrong in the queue has exactly proven themselves to be of a quality to get us to a major finals, so it's not like it's a big risk to include him over anyone else.

If anything, International football is a worse standard than club football a lot of the time.

I'm looking forward to seeing whatever Strachan's bat-shit crazy inclusion is tomorrow. He usually gives us one. I'd probably play this in the "Conte formation":
Gordon
Martin Berra Cooper
Anya Brown Morrison Robbo/Tierney
Snodgrass Armstrong
Fletcher

30 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

If anything, International football is a worse standard than club football a lot of the time.

Yip, obviously depends who you play for and who the games are against. But Armstrong plays in front of 50-60,000 every week and has played numerous European/Champions League matches, the idea that it's a risk to play him in front of 25,000 at home to Slovenia because he hasn't been 'tested' previously in some pointless kick about is ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yip, obviously depends who you play for and who the games are against. But Armstrong plays in front of 50-60,000 every week and has played numerous European/Champions League matches, the idea that it's a risk to play him in front of 25,000 at home to Slovenia because he hasn't been 'tested' previously in some pointless kick about is ridiculous.

The risk is that we leave a better player out who's playing at a higher level. Similar to what happened when Leigh Griffiths was chosen against England. Midfield is one of the few areas where we have a good bunch to pick from and there is decent competition. Armstrong deserves a chance perhaps even from the bench but it wouldn't be the first time Strachans friendship with Celtic ended in a bad decision being made. 

Snodgrass has been woeful last couple of scotland games, but strachan will still persist i imagine.

How i would line up.

Mcgregor 

Tierney Martin Mulgrew Robertson

Armstrong 

Fraser Cairney Brown Ritchie 

Griffiths 

Strachans probable line up.

Gordon 

Anya Martin Mulgrew Tierney

Fletcher Brown 

Forrest     Snodgrass   Ritchie

C, Martin

I grew up on the same street as Armstrong. There was a slight dearth of kids around a similar age there, so we spent seemingly endless hours in the school holidays playing football together with three or four others - usually smacking a ball against a wall until late on in the evening; the other residents, in hindsight, were either deaf (a possibility given the demographics of the area) or just extremely tolerant. He was a bit better than the rest of us, in all honesty. I knocked him out of Cuppy once; he was characteristically magnanimous in defeat. That remains, to this day, my proudest footballing achievement. For these reasons alone, he should start tomorrow. 

All these posts and no ones rolled out the 'two up top at home' puffery yet.  Agree regarding Armstrong, he's been excellent this season but is still un-capped. This IS a must win and i'm not sure this is the game to throw him in especially when we do have quite a few options in there.

Are we still talking about must win games?

Lithuania at home was must win. We didn't win.

Then Slovakia was a game we had to win. We didn't win.

Then England away was a must win game. We didn't win.

Give it up. This is just flogging a dead horse.

15 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Are we still talking about must win games?

Lithuania at home was must win. We didn't win.

Then Slovakia was a game we had to win. We didn't win.

Then England away was a must win game. We didn't win.

Give it up. This is just flogging a dead horse.

Was it aye?? Strachan, for the first time has stated this is a must win, his words. Its his last chance or he goes for me. Its really quite simple.

The 'must win' thing is irritating.

The first two fixtures were 'must wins' in the context of the competition, as they involved weak opposition.

Our failure to beat Lithuania, rendered Slovakia away a 'must win'.

Our humiliation in Slovakia rendered Wembley a 'must win'.

Our humiliation at Wembley rendered tomorrow's game meaningless.

This is the one Strachan calls a 'must win'.

Archived