Scotland vs Slovenia

Gordopolis

Just to kick off a thread for Sunday's game.

I'm thinking it'll be 1-1.

My team:

Gordon

Anya Martin Berra Tierney

Brown Fletcher

Burke Armstrong Fraser

Snodgrass

Strachan's team:

Gordon

Anya Martin Berra Robertson

Brown Fletcher

Ritchie Snodgrass Naismith

Fletcher

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be a better performance than a lot expect, but I just can't see us winning.  1-1 is probably a fair bet, either us going behind early and scrambling a draw like against Lithuania, or a late sickener.

If we win, he stays. If we lose, he's SURELY gone. For the first time in my life I'll probably be willing the opposition on, as horrible as that is. I don't think I'll be the only one.

Think the big call is in midfield. Drop Fletcher or not? Not convinced he thinks him and Brown play well together. Hence Fletcher being dropped before.

He will play him though I feel. I reckon Steven Fletcher will get the nod up front. 

Gordon

Anya

Martin 

Mulgrew

Robertson

Fletcher

Brown

Armstrong

Forrest

Snodgrass

Fletcher

0-1 Slovenia.

Just to kick off a thread for Sunday's game.

I'm thinking it'll be 1-1.

My team:
Gordon
Anya Martin Berra Tierney
Brown Fletcher
Burke Armstrong Fraser
Snodgrass

Strachan's team:
Gordon
Anya Martin Berra Robertson
Brown Fletcher
Ritchie Snodgrass Naismith
Fletcher

He'll definitely start with Armstrong. Surely to f**k that's a no brainer.

I would start with Naismith up top rather than the out of form strikers we have.

Guest bernardblack

Is Fraser fit?

If we lose, Strachan has to go. Someone new to come in and get settled before the next campaign.....although no idea how far down the pots we'll be :(

Going 2 nil to the Scots, I know it's against what most think will be the final score but I'm a fucking optimist. :angry:

Anything less than a win is unacceptable.

I wish Strachan would field a mostly SPFL side at some point, they can't do anything worse than the shite from the English Championship he keeps giving caps too. My thinking is that a squad of players who play in the same league will know their international team mates much better.

Craig Brown did field a lot of home grown talent and they c***s qualified year in and year out.

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

He'll definitely start with Armstrong. Surely to f**k that's a no brainer.

I would start with Naismith up top rather than the out of form strikers we have.

Armstrong? Do we know yet he can perform at a level beyond our pub league? Reminds me of the Leigh Griffiths situation where he became our best striker due to being on back of daily record the most. Armstrong should have played against Canada to see if he's really as good as his performances suggest. 

13 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

if he's really as good as his performances suggest. 

This makes no sense - I'm pretty sure someone can perform as well as their performances suggest. Agree with the sentiment of your post though - he should have had a run against Canada.

Armstrong and Fraser have both been tearing it up and should both get to play at some stage. Unfortunately I think it will be from the bench in both cases.

All these posts and no ones rolled out the 'two up top at home' puffery yet.  Agree regarding Armstrong, he's been excellent this season but is still un-capped. This IS a must win and i'm not sure this is the game to throw him in especially when we do have quite a few options in there.

All these posts and no ones rolled out the 'two up top at home' puffery yet.  Agree regarding Armstrong, he's been excellent this season but is still un-capped. This IS a must win and i'm not sure this is the game to throw him in especially when we do have quite a few options in there.

He'd cope fine.

Will Fraser be fit do we think?

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

Armstrong? Do we know yet he can perform at a level beyond our pub league? Reminds me of the Leigh Griffiths situation where he became our best striker due to being on back of daily record the most. Armstrong should have played against Canada to see if he's really as good as his performances suggest. 

In what way is playing against Canada in a meaningless friendly in front of 2 men and a dog performing 'at a level beyond our pub league'? The best player on the park in that game plays in the league below our pub league!

Armstrong has performed in numerous big games this season domestically and in Europe, not sure why people think players need 'given a chance' in crappy friendlies to somehow prove themselves. There is a lot of myth about players being 'able to step up to international level' like it is a much higher standard or a totally different game, when it's not. Every round of fixtures you'll see players who can't even get a game for their clubs but perform well in the internationals.

Also, no-one who would be ahead of Armstrong in the queue has exactly proven themselves to be of a quality to get us to a major finals, so it's not like it's a big risk to include him over anyone else.

56 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

This makes no sense - I'm pretty sure someone can perform as well as their performances suggest. Agree with the sentiment of your post though - he should have had a run against Canada.

Armstrong and Fraser have both been tearing it up and should both get to play at some stage. Unfortunately I think it will be from the bench in both cases.

His performances suggest he has great potential. Until he steps up to that level we won't really know how he will perform. Unless you are suggesting everything is equal then my comment was sensible. 

Archived