Scotland vs Slovenia

Gordopolis

We were well worth the win last night, a perfectly looking good goal chopped off early, griffiths so unlucky not to score. Tierney was outstanding, fair play to the big man for coming off the bench and getting the winner. Slovenia were piss poor, time wasting and petty fouls all game, Brown was getting niggled at for 90 minutes and done well not to react.

Something to build on now and hopefully the boo boys come out to support the team v England.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, forameus said:

Brown's "hard-man" (he's not really) image was not a good thing last night when he was letting a few of the Slovenia players really get to him.  Other than that he played well, a lot of the time he looked like the one trying to drive us forward when others were playing square passes.

In general, that's easily the best we've played so far this campaign.  Don't think anyone really comes out of that without at least a passing grade, except maybe Snodgrass, who is looking less and less like the proverbial international class with every passing Scotland game.  Delivered a couple of good corners, but his movement on the left (admittedly not his best position) made him look even poorer.

Terrible miss from Griffiths, but aside from that I thought he did pretty well.  The bad miss looked like it was too high for a volley but still too low for a header.  Just one of those awkward ones.  Still, I'd wager that a few in the stands could have scored it just by letting it hit their bodies.  Really no need to go for a crashing volley from there.  Second one was much better, and really very unlucky.  Then deliberately backing into the keeper earned him his injury.  Baffling decision to send him back out after half time though.  Can only assume he told everyone he was fine and could run it off, but as soon as he ran out he looked like he couldn't move.  Should've been subbed at half time.

Not sure bringing Naismith on for him was the right decision.  He was busy up front, and looked pretty good, but there were a few occasions where he was coming really deep, winning the ball, but then there's no-one beyond him.  We really needed someone further forward than him, and I don't think we changed to that quite early enough.  

Slovenia were absolutely honking.  I'd be raging if I was one of their fans who'd travelled over to watch them try and shitfest their way through a game against Scotland.  Keeper looked very nervous throughout and lucky to leave with just the one conceded.  

and then there's Chris Martin.  Not going to read back over all the pages of this thread, but seems that people are quite rightly criticising the booing.  I don't care if it was aimed at the decision rather than the player, if you're bringing on a forward with ten minutes to go when we need a goal, erupting in boos is hardly going to build his confidence, is it?  Particularly when it's a guy who has seemed very low on confidence in a Scotland shirt.  Before the game, it looked like he was reverting to type.  Won the ball quite well a few times, then fell on his arse a few times too.  But although the goal probably shouldn't have been a goal (dat keeper...ooft) he was there, and he got the goal.  Delighted for the guy, and you can see how much it meant to him.  And if Strachan did celebrate the goal by telling him to get it right up them, fucking brilliant.  Hope he had a pint of all the salty tears of those that were desperate to see us lose after the game.

It doesn't change a huge amount long term.  It gives him a stay of execution given we actually looked like a competent football team.  We fully deserved the win, and now he moves the must-win tag onto the next game.  It's very likely we'll lose to England at Hampden, but it's by no means certain.  Even if we managed to beat them, it's still a very long shot we'd actually do anything in the group, but it's at least upgraded the group from disaster to just poor.  

Agree abt Martin. He spent his first few minutes on his arse. His goal though was excellent. Superb work by Armstrong but Martin had a fair bit to do. Something Griffiths hasn't done until now. I'm for giving him another chance.

Was there a decent replay of that off the ball incident on Brown towards the end of the game? Looked like the Slovenian boy had a go at him right in front of the linesman, but he didn't flag.

The Slovenians were lining up to have a pop at our captain fantastic. The seethe he produces is tremendous.

Guest bernardblack

Scott Brown continually gave the ball away last night. It got to the point where he couldn't complete a five yard pass. Morrison and Fletcher for me in the centre of the park.

Also I'm still annoyed at him picking and choosing when to play for Scotland.

Scott Brown continually gave the ball away last night. It got to the point where he couldn't complete a five yard pass. Morrison and Fletcher for me in the centre of the park.

Also I'm still annoyed at him picking and choosing when to play for Scotland.

Didn't happen.

He retired due to the fact he was needing a break, he played through injuries all of last season and he was worried he wouldn't be able to get back to fitness. He explained this pre match last night.

Guest bernardblack

Didn't happen.

He retired due to the fact he was needing a break, he played through injuries all of last season and he was worried he wouldn't be able to get back to fitness. He explained this pre match last night.

As a general way of life, I try to avoid all Scott brown interviews

2 hours ago, harry94 said:

I find it interesting how Strachan is always quite pragmatic in the rigidity of the teams he puts out but there is always one exception. He seems to really love pacey wingers who offer little in consistent end product (I remember him covering a Dundee game a few years ago for Sky and praising Martin Boyle through the roof and seeming really genuinely excited by him) which seems to play into James Forrest.

I get that when we're maybe under the cosh, it's actually a good option to have somebody who has the pace to drive us forward and break fast but it doesn't seem to have any sort of impact in games like last nights and Forrest, in particular, doesn't really ever seem to be able to assert himself. Having someone of the style of Gauld or Cairney instead would surely make a bit more sense in a game like last night when we've got a lot of the ball and up against a deep back line.

I'd be really interested to see what sort of level Gauld is at and if he could make an impact. He was playing regularly for Vitória de Setúbal in the top flight on loan but Sporting took a hissy fit after being pumped out of the cup and took him back which seems to have upset supporters of both teams there as he was impressing and coming on very well. It's hard to really know how different leagues equate to each other but I'd guess that I wouldn't expect him to be far away. There was talk of Young Boys being very interested.

Agree with most of that this was one of the problems mcgeady had with strachan he was not allowed to go inside and get involved in the play strachan wanted him to stay wide this is why forrest falls out of the game last night more to keeping the shape than free flowing

Scrolling through this thread and seeing comments about how 'Scotland fans' are a disgrace. What a generic, nonsensical statement based on the actions of a few.

Also make sure u read the loads of comments hoping Scotland get beat against Slovenia so strachan get sacked. See your point it's not majority but certainly not a few who were booing it was a few thousand.

8 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Also make sure u read the loads of comments hoping Scotland get beat against Slovenia so strachan get sacked. See your point it's not majority but certainly not a few who were booing it was a few thousand.

Absolutely, it wasn't 2 or 3, it was 2 or 3 thousand. I just find it bizarre to get back from Hampden, where I spent £35 for a ticket and supported every player in dark blue from the first minute to the last, to find comments like 'get it right up the Scotland fans' on here.

Same goes for comments about the 'Tartan Army' being fannies. And what exactly does that mean? That everyone who is in the SSC is a fanny? People need to stop pretending that every single person in the TA/SSC behaves and supports the national team in exactly the same way, because it just isn't true.

Just now, AyrTroopMajor said:

Absolutely, it wasn't 2 or 3, it was 2 or 3 thousand. I just find it bizarre to get back from Hampden, where I spent £35 for a ticket and supported every player in dark blue from the first minute to the last, to find comments like 'get it right up the Scotland fans' on here.

Same goes for comments about the 'Tartan Army' being fannies. And what exactly does that mean? That everyone who is in the SSC is a fanny? People need to stop pretending that every single person in the TA/SSC behaves and supports the national team in exactly the same way, because it just isn't true.

The former is just the way the internet is.  You're not going to get someone saying that those few Scotland fans, you'll get them saying the wider group is a disgrace, because it's a land of hyperbole.

The latter is probably because someone that describes themself as a Tartan Army Footsoldier or something similar is going to be a fanny.  By the definition, we're all really in the "Tartan Army" no matter how cringey.  But if you're desribing yourself as that, then you're probably a tit.

Lol yeah I agree. Today there's actually more positivity on here than I've seen for ages. The crowd was low last night but thought atmosphere wasn't to bad considering. Can't wait till a full house for England game hope we can replicate the performance. concerned we don't have a friendly in the calendar for June as end of season and by time England come around some players won't have played for a few weeks. Ireland have pencilled in 2 friendlies against Mexico and Uruguay . England have no games planned but play France after they play Scotland strangely. Would like to see at least 1 friendly with a training camp to prepare properly

There's positively on here because Strachan actually deployed a team most people have been wanting for about 18 months.

Low and behold, Scotland beat a team of full time footballers, some of whom play at big clubs.

34 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

There's positively on here because Strachan actually deployed a team most people have been wanting for about 18 months.

Low and behold, Scotland beat a team of full time footballers, some of whom play at big clubs.

And all it took was for him to almost certainly be getting his jotters had they lost.

I suppose that having absolutely nothing to lose must be quite liberating.

Wasn't there something about brown having a 96% passing accuracy last season or something? People just make up what they want to see.

I'd estimate he must have given the ball away about 5 times at most last night

Love the seethe from quite a few on here regarding Scott brown picking and choosing when he plays for our country. How many from this crop of armchair supporters were actually there last night and not gave a f**k. But would also bite your arm off for a ticket to watch us play England in the next qualifier ? 

Just now, Disco30 said:

Love the seethe from quite a few on here regarding Scott brown picking and choosing when he plays for our country. How many from this crop of armchair supporters were actually there last night and not gave a f**k. But would also bite your arm off for a ticket to watch us play England in the next qualifier ? 

I wasn't there last night and I'm not bothered about a ticket for the England game.

Nothing to do with the team, I refuse to pay the SFA over the odds for match tickets.

Scotland games shouldn't cost more than £25 no matter the opposition. Last night the tickets should have been reduced to £10 for adults £5 for kids.

Archived