Scotland vs Slovenia

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, paddymcp said:

I think the booing was more directed towards Strachan tbf. Chris Martin just seemed to be a good enough excuse. Ginger lives to be sacked another day.

Why not boo when Anya came on then. He did well but wasn`t an obvious sub for a more attacking player in Snodgrass in a game at 0-0 that we needed to win. Martin was a much more obvious sub given the way the game had gone. The booing was aimed at least in part towards Martin.

Why not boo when Anya came on then. He did well but wasn`t an obvious sub for a more attacking player in Snodgrass in a game at 0-0 that we needed to win. Martin was a much more obvious sub given the way the game had gone. The booing was aimed at least in part towards Martin.

Anya has been largely a successful part of Strachan's reign. Martin has been poor.

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Well I'm right bang in the middle. I think Strachan is a busted flush with no hope of coming back to qualification levels of form/results, but I desperately want to see us at a finals. Tonight didn't do much to nudge me out of that middle ground.

The point I'm trying to make is that booing is the wrong way to go about. I have no problem with people thinking he should be sacked. That is their opinion. Instead of booing they should get behind the team. It has a negative impact on the team and I only have a certain amount on this Earth to go and see us at a major finals without hoping for us to lose. 

That game was a snorefest and near unwatchable because of the visitors. Scotland are a limited side but at least TRIED to play footy and get the breakthrough.

However, Slovenia just came with a game plan to sit back and defend for 90 mins and try to nick a point. It very nearly worked but the team trying to play football found a way through thankfully.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Anya has been largely a successful part of Strachan's reign. Martin has been poor.

OK fair point to an extent but in a game at 0-0 with time running out he`s not an obvious sub. The notion that people weren`t booing Martin just isn`t credible IMHO.

Even if they were booing Strachan  it must have been pretty gutting for Martin, Dreadful stuff from those who booed.

The point I'm trying to make is that booing is the wrong way to go about. I have no problem with people thinking he should be sacked. That is their opinion. Instead of booing they should get behind the team. It has a negative impact on the team and I only have a certain amount on this Earth to go and see us at a major finals without hoping for us to lose. 

Booing is grim indeed, but it's either that or boycotting games. Each equally attritive. I've never booed or boycotted. Thing is, I don't fancy popping my clogs with my last worthy memory of Scotland at a finals being John Collins doing six pack thrusts at the crowd vs Brazil in 1998 (or Burley leaping around with no teeth). And that just fuels the sensitivity that the current managerial regime appears to be malfunctioning. So, I'm not a fan of booing, but I understand the frustration 100%.

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Booing is grim indeed, but it's either that or boycotting games. Each equally attritive. I've never booed or boycotted. Thing is, I don't fancy popping my clogs with my last worthy memory of Scotland at a finals being John Collins doing six pack thrusts at the crowd vs Brazil in 1998 (or Burley leaping around with no teeth). And that just fuels the sensitivity that the current managerial regime appears to be malfunctioning. So, I'm not a fan of booing, but I understand the frustration 100%.

Like you I understand the frustration. I could understand some booing if we were losing but at 0-0 in a "must win" game it`s just pathetic in my view.

Like you I understand the frustration. I could understand some booing if we were losing but at 0-0 in a "must win" game it`s just pathetic in my view.

That's why I reckon the booing was more a cumulative thing - not related to the 0-0 on the night (at the time of the substitution), but more about the long run of unsatisfactory results and continuously inneffective subs beforehand. Hardly helpful, but I can sympathise to an extent

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

That's why I reckon the booing was more a cumulative thing - not related to the 0-0 on the night, but more about the long run of unsatisfactory results and continuously inneffective subs beforehand. Hardly helpful, but I can sympathise to an extent

Fair enough I can see why you think that, My own view is that the booing was absolutely about Martin coming on. Probably a bit of both in reality.

Some positives for a change tonight,  robbo teirny and Armstrong looked very very good and have plenty years left thank feck,  Cairney is a ready made replacement for brown and looks an upgrade too. Total over haul in defence and and a clean sheet.  

The ginger 1 changed his tactics when backs to the wall, I have said all along when we go out to attack we play well, the constant need to shore everything up has cost us another campaign hopefully the next boss starts a campaign in this way as tonight we could and should have totally destroyed that lot.

Well done Scotland!
Haters gonny hate.
Chris fucking Martin, what a sub, just the guy you need for a goal.
Tired. No sleep all night & straight to work with a smile.
Canny wait for the next game...

Guest bernardblack

Thoughts on playing Robertson in front of Tierney on the left?

As Robertson is a threat going forward but cannot defend at all.

Thoughts on playing Robertson in front of Tierney on the left?

As Robertson is a threat going forward but cannot defend at all.

I think Robertson is a good defender. Few very good challenges and blocks last night.

Just keep them where they are?

Archived