Scotland vs Slovenia

Gordopolis

5 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

.  Naismith was a really strange sub as we then ended up with no strikers in a must-win game...

Take it from me, those who booed were irate with the decision, not the player.

I thought Naismith did pretty well. Strachan got his subs spot on.

As for the 2nd point, presumably Martin is meant to be able to make that distinction. Dreadful stuff by those who booed him. Really poor.Those who booed are morons.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We battered them in the first half, hitting the woodwork twice. We weren't as dominant in the second half but were still, comfortably, the better team. Slovenia would've been hugely fortunate to escape with a draw on the balance of play.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I thought Naismith did pretty well. Strachan got his subs spot on.

As for the 2nd point, presumably Martin is meant to be able to make that distinction. Dreadful stuff by those who booed him. Really poor.Those who booed are morons.

I didn't say I agreed with it.  I said why it happened.  And I still believe it was a poor decision.

I also take umbrage at much of the commentary on here complaining about Scotland fans at the game, and yet these are the people who stay home when their team is playing a home game.

5 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Not long back from the game.  Delighted by that victory, though it was getting a bit desperate in the second half.

Tierney and Robertson were excellent.  Provide real drive and don't seem to be overawed like so many of their team mates.

Armstrong incredibly comfortable at this level.  What a way to make your mark as debutant.  Very impressive.

Snodgrass had another poor game by his standards.  Definitely better than Wednesday, but given how miserable he was against Canada, that's not exactly a compliment.  Anya was a definite improvement when he came on.

Centre halves weren't complete bomb scares, but the two of them genuinely don't know what to do when they get near the halfway line.  There seems to be precisely zero plan at that point.  I thought Cairney was a more willing runner to take the ball off them on Wednesday, so perhaps an option.

Griffiths showed why he 'can' hold up the ball.  Won a few headers and won a foul or two.  Will be gutted with his first miss, but the team didn't recover from him going off.  Naismith was a really strange sub as we then ended up with no strikers in a must-win game...

Martin was diabolical on Wednesday night.  He genuinely did nothing and seemed to be actively looking to break up attacks.  Happy the guy got the goal but the whole stadium was raging with Strachan's decision.  Take it from me, those who booed were irate with the decision, not the player.

TL;DR - Positive - Tierney, Robertson, Armstrong.  Victory, a better performance, clean sheet, and a manager willing to look at other options.  Negatives - lucky, poor subs that took too long.  Still plan-less as an attaching threat.  Martin and Forrest are not the answers.  Snodgrass not currently cutting it.

I completely agree with most of your post. However, I thought all 3 substitutions had an impact. Naisy was forced but was still giving their defence cause for concern and I think the reason Strachan brought him on instead of the other strikers was because he is similar to Griffiths (without the natural finishing instinct), who caused the slovenian defence all sorts of problems in the 1st half. He then brought Anya and Martin on at the right times with both having an impact on the game.

Just now, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I didn't say I agreed with it.  I said why it happened.  And I still believe it was a poor decision.

I also take umbrage at much of the commentary on here complaining about Scotland fans at the game, and yet these are the people who stay home when their team is playing a home game.

Oh come on. People at the game booed when Martin came on. For all his faults he does his best and as it happened scored the winning goal tonight. Let`s not defend the booing by saying if you weren`t there you can`t have an opinion. I wasn`t impressed when Martin came on but have to say it was sad to hear the booing from the "best fans in the world". Really poor stuff.

I completely agree with most of your post. However, I thought all 3 substitutions had an impact. Naisy was forced but was still giving their defence cause for concern and I think the reason Strachan brought him on instead of the other strikers was because he is similar to Griffiths (without the natural finishing instinct), who caused the slovenian defence all sorts of problems in the 1st half. He then brought Anya and Martin on at the right times with both having an impact on the game.

Agree with most of the post pretty much spot on. only part I disagree with is the fans were booing Martin- guys behind me were screaming for him to return to the bench ( not exact language used lol)- tartan army have history of booing players - remember Gary mcalistair.

11 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I've been to every qualifier since we beat Latvia to qualify for 98 apart from Poland the last campaign (Wedding) and both home qualifiers this campaign (Work commitments). I'm a Scotland fan. There is nobody with more passion for our country than me. Everyone on here commenting is a Scotland fan. The ones that should be ashamed of themselves are the ones booing their own players and clearly were wanting the team to fail in the hope that our manager would resign. Disgraceful.

I've been to every qualifier since we beat Latvia to qualify for 98 apart from Poland the last campaign (Wedding) and both home qualifiers this campaign (Work commitments). I'm a Scotland fan. There is nobody with more passion for our country than me. Everyone on here commenting is a Scotland fan. The ones that should be ashamed of themselves are the ones booing their own players and clearly were wanting the team to fail in the hope that our manager would resign. Disgraceful.

Wanting the players to fail so the manager would resign so, in turn,we could (theoretically) do better in the longer term. It's not an invalid viewpoint. It's all about Scotland doing well in the longer term as opposed to the shorter term.

I was swithering between the two camps tbh.

I don't even know why anyone would have a problem with the sub tbh. Martin should never ever ever start for us again but with 20 to go at 0-0 in a must win game that we have completely dominated in it's a no-brainer imo.

6 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Agree with most of the post pretty much spot on. only part I disagree with is the fans were booing Martin- guys behind me were screaming for him to return to the bench ( not exact language used lol)- tartan army have history of booing players - remember Gary mcalistair.

Agreed

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Wanting the players to fail so the manager would resign so, in turn,we could (theoretically) do better in the longer term. It's not an invalid viewpoint. It's all about Scotland doing well in the longer term as opposed to the shorter term.

"Theoretically" being the most important word there. We should be supporting the team to win no matter the circumstances. 

"Theoretically" being the most important word there. We should be supporting the team to win no matter the circumstances. 

But that's a bit sheep-like, is it not? If you feel strongly that a different manager/setup will hold a better future, you surely wouldn't blindly hope for a win (that would keep the current manager in place)? Not saying Strachan is definitely a dead duck, but it isn't a heinous crime or unpatriotic to look at the long game.

But why give up the slim chance of qualification so we can get Strachan sacked? If we lost tonight campaign was over and England game would have meant very little. Strachan is gone at the end of this campaign anyway it makes more sense to get 100 per cent behind the team and get as close to qualifying as possible. Now at least England game going to be a great night day out and if we were to somehow put in an amazing performance and win suddenly we have half a chance. In my opinion fans that want Scotland to lose aren't real fans and probably don't attend any of the games or only attend when we are winning.

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

But that's a bit sheep-like, is it not? If you feel strongly that a different manager/setup will hold a better future, you surely wouldn't blindly hope for a win (that would keep the current manager in place)? Not saying Strachan is definitely a dead duck, but it isn't a heinous crime or unpatriotic to look at the long game.

I would think that if anyone feeling as strong as that would much rather hope to be proved wrong than hoping to lose and our nation not making another major finals?

But why give up the slim chance of qualification so we can get Strachan sacked? If we lost tonight campaign was over and England game would have meant very little. Strachan is gone at the end of this campaign anyway it makes more sense to get 100 per cent behind the team and get as close to qualifying as possible. Now at least England game going to be a great night day out and if we were to somehow put in an amazing performance and win suddenly we have half a chance. In my opinion fans that want Scotland to lose aren't real fans and probably don't attend any of the games or only attend when we are winning.

Yep, I agree with that. England means something now, and we got to enjoy a much needed victory tonight. I'm just saying it is just as valid to be critical of strachan. His stewardship has seen us fail to win a vital match for years. It's schoolboy stuff to get overly excited about tonight. He's in no way off the hook, but he's given himself a decent chance of turning things around.

I would think that if anyone feeling as strong as that would much rather hope to be proved wrong than hoping to lose and our nation not making another major finals?

Well I'm right bang in the middle. I think Strachan is a busted flush with no hope of coming back to qualification levels of form/results, but I desperately want to see us at a finals. Tonight didn't do much to nudge me out of that middle ground.

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Well I'm right bang in the middle. I think Strachan is a busted flush with no hope of coming back to qualification levels of form/results, but I desperately want to see us at a finals. Tonight didn't do much to nudge me out of that middle ground.

I think this is where most of us are.

Archived