Scotland vs Slovenia

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A good manager can cobble together a defence.    A Walter Smith type manager worked with the likes of Caldwell, Ritchie, Wilkie etc.   

Strachan isn't that man. 

You mentioned this group being 'winnable'. With the squad (especially the defence) we have, I think you are taking things too far. We were never winning this group. It was always about trying to come second to England.

Guest DAVIDB69
I would probably have played Naismith upfront, tbqhwy. Can't say I'm too bothered about Griffiths' selection, though; none of our options are particularly enticing. 

Agreed griffiths isn't international class nor playing club football, which is a problem.

However fletcher and Martin consistently fail so not where else we go

Guest DAVIDB69

You mentioned this group being 'winnable'. With the squad (especially the defence) we have, I think you are taking things too far. We were never winning this group. It was always about trying to come second to England.

Agreed realistically third bottom was always the likely spot as to where we stand, still can't see us beating anyone else in the section apart from Malta at home

I can't think of any game in last 3 years we have played well under his charge. I,m not sure what WGS has over the SFA but anyone else would have walked or been punted.

November 2014. Not quite at the 3 year mark yet.

Guest DAVIDB69

November 2014. Not quite at the 3 year mark yet.

Was that the Eire game did we really play that well though, it was a late fortunate goal.

I remember we went to Dublin spouting that we were better than them saying they were out of it

1 minute ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Was that the Eire game did we really play that well though, it was a late fortunate goal.

I remember we went to Dublin spouting that we were better than them saying they were out of it

Fortunate goal?

Guest DAVIDB69
Fortunate goal?

Sorry it was a decent goal I was thinking of another goal he scored but that was the last okay performance

A team with Burke, Armstrong, Fraser and Snodgrass actually sounds somewhat exciting.

It is a massive shame they won't all start. Matt Phillips too when he's back from injury. 

Burke really should be getting deployed up front - especially away games on the break. There's no point in playing any other way.

Burke and Snodgrass up front would be interesting. Snodgrass seemed to do well for Hull playing up top in a 5-3-2. Only problem is that it means that we won't be able to play the likes of Fraser or Ritchie who I think should be starting.
Burke played up front himself for Leipzig quite recently, and according to people on here, he looked lost. We genuinely have far too many players to play in the 3 behind the striker.

55 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I would probably have played Naismith upfront, tbqhwy. Can't say I'm too bothered about Griffiths' selection, though; none of our options are particularly enticing. 

Aye, I'd have gone with Naismith too but Griffiths is the next best option. We've had enough failures with strikers whose game is mostly about holding the ball up to bring the midfield in and play with their back to goal, we're as well trying something different. I highly doubt it's going to work but there's a chance having a more mobile centre forward can breath some life into the system, as he's clearly not going to deviate from the 4-2-3-1.

I've given up predicting Scotland games tbh but what do I know is, you canna defend like we have so far and expect to qualify for a major tournament.

If our centre backs get the basics right and can actually learn to head the fitba then we might just get a point tonight..

Cairney was a shining light in the shitshow against Canada, he looked to make the creative forward pass on some occasions at least, instead of constantly looking for the safe ball going nowhere, so hopefully he starts. Armstrong has been excellent for Celtic so hopefully he can carry that over tonight. 

We are going nae where with Strachan imo but ah f**k it, still want us tae win any game we play.. but if we don't he might be away.. probably no though..

Archived