Last Ever Game at Recreation Park

For those people who go in for "firsts and lasts": having been eliminated from the King Cup last weekend Ormiston's concluding home league game of the season v Leith this Sunday (12:15pm) is apparently the final match at Recreation Park. Ormiston are moving downhill and over the hedge to their new ground next season. Unusual day and time due to the Lowland/EOS groundhop but it should at least mean a bumper crowd for the last hurrah.

is it really the final match HJ- are they building on the pitch? 

there will certainly be goals galore I'd imagine....

I'm sure my first visit to what I used to call "compost corner" was an Ormiston v Meadowbank pre-season friendly... 

25 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

is it really the final match HJ- are they building on the pitch? 

there will certainly be goals galore I'd imagine....

I'm sure my first visit to what I used to call "compost corner" was an Ormiston v Meadowbank pre-season friendly... 

No idea TtB. I suppose the pitch will still be there though I heard a while ago they were razing the pavilion.

Seen some stuff from hoppers about it being Ormiston's last game anyway.

I'm sure I saw some pictures of what was going on somewhere on this site or maybe it was on the EOS site. I see from a photo on Twitter that Duns FC have built a new stand or covered enclosure to add to the one they have already. Are they returning to the EOS or maybe going to the Juniors perhaps? They seem to have a great setup but no team. 

37 minutes ago, old speckled hen said:

I'm sure I saw some pictures of what was going on somewhere on this site or maybe it was on the EOS site. I see from a photo on Twitter that Duns FC have built a new stand or covered enclosure to add to the one they have already. Are they returning to the EOS or maybe going to the Juniors perhaps? They seem to have a great setup but no team. 

Rumours are Duns and Kelso are back next season, but you know what rumours are like. Duns i would say is craic,no sure about Kelso though. Hopefully both are back, especially for borders football, they've been missed imo 

2 hours ago, heedthebaa said:

Rumours are Duns and Kelso are back next season, but you know what rumours are like. Duns i would say is craic,no sure about Kelso though. Hopefully both are back, especially for borders football, they've been missed imo 

Canny have that heed the anti eos brigade on here  won't like that ;)

Definitely positive for the league if one or both of Duns and Kelso come back.  Added to that, the possibility of Preston returning too (who knows exactly what will happen with relegation from the Lowland League at this stage?).  Duns must have a reasonable chance of getting a licence if they are doing this work?  I remember they were rumoured to be aiming for one before they left the league.

Duns took on a redundant playing field, derelict sports hall and ruined pair of tennis courts... They've turned it into a excellent railed football pitch within an enclosed ground, complete with terraced banking, hard-standing, covered enclosure, seated grandstand, disabled access, piehut, cabins for toilets and hospitality...

Crying shame if it languished in the amateurs, IMO.

19 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Duns took on a redundant playing field, derelict sports hall and ruined pair of tennis courts... They've turned it into a excellent railed football pitch within an enclosed ground, complete with terraced banking, hard-standing, covered enclosure, seated grandstand, disabled access, piehut, cabins for toilets and hospitality...

Totally agree, great wee set up doon there.

Did they no have a high profile opening friendly against Man City  only a few short seasons ago? 

Hopefully, after all the hard work to get that far,  whatever route they choose to take, the ground will get what it deserves,regular fitba at a decent level. 

Guest brycey
On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 22:46, HibeeJibee said:

For those people who go in for "firsts and lasts": having been eliminated from the King Cup last weekend Ormiston's concluding home league game of the season v Leith this Sunday (12:15pm) is apparently the final match at Recreation Park. Ormiston are moving downhill and over the hedge to their new ground next season. Unusual day and time due to the Lowland/EOS groundhop but it should at least mean a bumper crowd for the last hurrah.

all ticket for this game a herd lol

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Great set-up for the East Region South Division. 

Great set-up for getting SFA membership, a club licence, and annual entry into the Scottish Cup; which by the noises coming out of Kelty and Auchinleck couldn't be happening in the East Region South Division, it seems.

Lets not argue what-ifs, though. We'll all agree it's a venue fit for a higher level.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent press coverage and statements from Kelty, Auchinleck and Bo'ness confirm what was already thought: i.e. due to the 'pyramid commitment' clause clubs must join a league in the pyramid to obtain an SFA licence. Can't stay in Juniors (and logically Amateurs / Welfarers - although unlikely the same pros-n-cons apply there, tbh).

HibeeJibee - could Kelty, Auchinleck and Bo'ness run with two teams?  One Junior, one EOSFL?  If the EOSFL team progress up the pyramid they could then use the Junior side as a feeder?

Interesting thought. I've no idea, maybe the SFA wouldn't either until the scenario arose.

You mean join the pyramid under the 'false flag' of what would in practice be a reserve team? Then if their reserve team ever reached SPFL (which would seem unlikely tbf) turn the Junior side into the reserves? Not in the spirit of the clause - but in the letter of it who knows.

Of course presumably it would immediately fall foul of any EPL-style requirement that, for example, the side in the league or the pyramid must be the first-strength team. Plus would they play the reservists in the Scottish Cup - or de-register them right before, register their Junior first-teamers, then vice versa right after?

Imagine it's full of potential pitfalls, anyway.

On 11/04/2017 at 17:59, HibeeJibee said:

Recent press coverage and statements from Kelty, Auchinleck and Bo'ness confirm what was already thought: i.e. due to the 'pyramid commitment' clause clubs must join a league in the pyramid to obtain an SFA licence. Can't stay in Juniors (and logically Amateurs / Welfarers - although unlikely the same pros-n-cons apply there, tbh).

Does that mean Junior teams can't compete in the Scottish Cup?

Archived