Emulators

Boostin' Kev

Couldn't see a specific thread for this. 

Occurred to me earlier that I haven't switched on my PS4 for at least 1.5 months been pretty busy and haven't had time or concentration to be bothered with current gen games so an emulator would be a bit of fun for times like these. 

I've played various ones in the past mainly SNES and have reinstalled Snes9X today on my laptop.  Have a bluetooth Moga controller for Android that I don't think is compatible with Snes9X, also read that PS4 controllers can be used alongside a 3rd party program but thinking of just paying £20 for the Buffalo USB SNES controllers that get very good reviews.

Does anyone else play these regularly?

I've got a 150GB emulation folder on one of our storage drives. Frankly, I could take that with me to a desert island and wouldn't miss all the new-fangled stuff much. MAME, WinUAE, Steem and Spectaculator get the most frequent use, but I keep meaning to play a few more of the SNES/Mega Drive games that I never got around to trying back in the day.

Last I checked, the Spectrum folder contained every game ever made for the machine, and it only takes up a few hundred megabytes  :mellow:

I sometimes fire up a PSX/PS2 emulator and play some of my old favourites (Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004, I'm looking squarely at you) on my laptop; saves a load of bother faffing about, digging the PS2 and its associated cables out of a drawer. I just use a PS4 controller alongside the program DS4Windows, which is excellent (plug and play, once installed, and you can also use the pad wirelessly through bluetooth) and even allows you the frivolous pleasure of customising the light bar to whichever colour you desire. As a result, I'd probably recommend that if you're a fan of the PS4 controller.

Never tried MAME, seen it mentioned a lot though.

Used a PS1 emulator on my mobile 4 years ago much better on laptop of course. Have played N64, NDS and Dreamcast ones as well. Fancy replaying some of the classic SNES games as a contrast to the current gen ones.  DS4Windows was the program I saw mentioned for the PS4 controller, do you if it works with a Moga bluetooth controller as well?  Got one of those sitting around doing nothing.

Every time I fire up an emulator I get bored pretty quickly :( I think, though, thats its generally because I want to play N64 or Dreamcast games and without the original controller its just a faff.

MAME is pretty decent but only, I would say, if you remember playing the originals in the arcade.

I remember, a while ago, finding a nice little program that created a front end for all your emulators along with some other settings and stuff. Its not much good for the casual user as firing up the individual emulators is easier but its worth looking at if you use them often. I'll try and find the link

10 minutes ago, The Diabolical One said:

A PS/XBox controller must be good for an N64/Dreamcast emulator?

Its ok for most Dreamcast stuff but not for the N64 - not enough buttons!

ETA - thinking about it, it was jsut the N64 that the controller was the problem. I cant remember why I stopped playing the dreamcast :unsure:

I found the front end - Emulationstation

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Its ok for most Dreamcast stuff but not for the N64 - not enough buttons!

ETA - thinking about it, it was jsut the N64 that the controller was the problem. I cant remember why I stopped playing the dreamcast :unsure:

I found the front end - Emulationstation

I never owned an N64 just assumed PS/Xbox controllers would suffice. 

I was recently using Dolphin to emulate Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the Wii. I bought a Wii mote + nunchuck + sensor bar a few years ago to try it, but I have a much better experience using the Steam controller and configuring the touch pad to be used as the Wii's pointer.  Works a charm.

The DS4 is recognised by Steam as a native controller now.  I don't know if it's enough to just have Steam running in the background (probably not), but if not then it's easy to have your emulator .exe launched through Steam as a third party app.

I had a jailbroken PSP then PSP Go that I used for emulating 8-bit and 16-bit consoles.  The PSP was probably the perfect device for emulating that era, with a similar resolution and appropriate control sheme.

I've never bothered trying to use MAME, but I've always had an interest to play the old Simpsons and Turtles arcade releases. They looked incredible to me at the time.

25 minutes ago, The Diabolical One said:

I'm not that big on nostalgia tbh, going to try to use PS4 controller for Snes emulator this afternoon. 

Its not really a nostalgia thing. The N64 had two main buttons and 4 C buttons. Even Ramagamagamaga can work out that makes 6.

Its not really a nostalgia thing. The N64 had two main buttons and 4 C buttons. Even Ramagamagamaga can work out that makes 6.

The second analogue stick does an ok job of emulating the c buttons and you can always shove the z trigger onto r2 but its just not the same.

I managed to "jailbreak" my old psp and now rum several emulators on it. Still getting to grips with it but I'm running Snes, Megadrive, Game Boy, Amiga and Scumm simulators so far. All working pretty well and 2nd hand psp's go for pennies on eBay. 

I forgot SCUMMVM counted as an emulator - that's a cracking piece of software. Always fun to check back every six months or so and see what obscure title they've managed to add to the collection. I see you can play Voyeur through it now. Gadzooks. Latest compatibility list is here, and there are 8 games you can download for free, including Dreamweb...egad!

Elsewhere, did anyone else ever have a GP2X? That was a nice wee handheld for running emulators on. Rendered pointless by modern smartphones, of course.

12 hours ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

I managed to "jailbreak" my old psp and now rum several emulators on it. Still getting to grips with it but I'm running Snes, Megadrive, Game Boy, Amiga and Scumm simulators so far. All working pretty well and 2nd hand psp's go for pennies on eBay. 

I got a Moga Pro bluetooth controller which has a cradle to attach my Galaxy Note 4 to and that works well.  Not that I ever play games much at home let alone out of it.

Archived