St Mirren v Ayr United Championship 1/4/17

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I enjoyed that on Saturday :) First time we have won 3 leagues in a row in almost 10 years! First time we have scored 6 in a league game since beating Clydebank 8-0 in 99/00. We need to not get carried away though and make sure we produce as good a performance on Saturday against Dumbarton.

Would love to know what McCall was writing on his wee clipboard he was holding in the first half until about 4-0 when he chucked it :lol:.

On 02 April 2017 at 08:36, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Had a wee watch of the highlights this morning, and the first thing that struck me was the attendance. SMP has always looked a pretty sorry sight during your time in this league - and the Premier League to be fair - with no atmosphere and plenty of empty seats. That didn't look to be the case yesterday, fair play to Ayr United too - they brought a very decent looking support.

It's difficult to gauge because of how hilariously bad Ayr looked (and we haven't beaten them this season, lolz), but it looked like St Mirren played some really nice stuff. Mallan, Stelios and Morgan all look to be playing with all the confidence in the world, and that'll be down to Jack Ross. I've got no doubts about it.

Very interesting to see McGinn giving Stelios a rollicking after his reaction to the tackle that lead to Ayr's second. That was an excellent bit of captaincy and, dare I say as an outsider, it looks like something you guys have missed for since Goodwin dropped out the team.

It's coming up to a year since I interviewed Lewis Morgan - as a fringe player - for Uni last year. Since then he's scored against Rangers (about a week later), became one of your standout players and earned a Scotland call up. My career boosting chats are available for a small fee for any player who wants them :lol:

Next week should be fun...

The atmosphere from the home end was great on Saturday, it's actually a very good ground when it's full and St Mirren are playing well. It helps when the away team turns up and bends over though, which I'm sure Dumbarton won't. Still can't see past a St Mirren win though, they are a completely different entity since they splashed the cash in January.

We embarrassed ourselves really, some dreadfully gutless performances. Particularly livid watching Forrest sell the jerseys for both the 3rd and 4th goals. For McCall to claim that the players were tired was predictable nonsense. If players are tired, that should be in evidence at around 4:30, not 3:05. I find it pretty unforgivable that the players weren't up for that game, they'll know all about it when they line up against Peterhead and Stranraer again next season.

7 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

The atmosphere from the home end was great on Saturday, it's actually a very good ground when it's full and St Mirren are playing well. It helps when the away team turns up and bends over though, which I'm sure Dumbarton won't. Still can't see past a St Mirren win though, they are a completely different entity since they splashed the cash in January.

We embarrassed ourselves really, some dreadfully gutless performances. Particularly livid watching Forrest sell the jerseys for both the 3rd and 4th goals. For McCall to claim that the players were tired was predictable nonsense. If players are tired, that should be in evidence at around 4:30, not 3:05. I find it pretty unforgivable that the players weren't up for that game, they'll know all about it when they line up against Peterhead and Stranraer again next season.

That's the best the atmosphere has been at a home game apart from maybe the time we beat Celtic 4-0. I sit in the main stand and there's usually not much singing at all so was good to hear it spread round the ground. Fair play to the Ayr fans who stayed and even made a bit noise in the 2nd half, think I might have been in the pub by HT if it was the other way round. Embarrassing from the few wee boys having a heads gone going nuts at the Saints fans in W7 though.

15 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

That's the best the atmosphere has been at a home game apart from maybe the time we beat Celtic 4-0. I sit in the main stand and there's usually not much singing at all so was good to hear it spread round the ground. Fair play to the Ayr fans who stayed and even made a bit noise in the 2nd half, think I might have been in the pub by HT if it was the other way round. Embarrassing from the few wee boys having a heads gone going nuts at the Saints fans in W7 though.

Ach, youthful exhuberance, when you've watched diddy teams long enough you learn to accept shite like Saturday a wee bit better, I had a good bit of banter with the steward at the pie stall, seemed very relaxed about it all rather than the usual "wound up toys" that usually put on high vis.

1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Still can't see past a St Mirren win though, they are a completely different entity since they splashed the cash in January

We actually made money in the January window.  We sold Kyle McAllister to Derby for 6 figures and Jason Naismith to County for a nominal fee.

We never spent anywhere near that on the replacements.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

We actually made money in the January window.  We sold Kyle McAllister to Derby for 6 figures and Jason Naismith to County for a nominal fee.

The assumption that we "splashed cash" is a bit of a lazy one. We shipped 10 players out and brought 10 in. The supporters also threw in £10K to fund a loan signing to the end of the season and that helped secure Rory Loy.

The rest was pretty much 1 for 1 other than the £25K or so we got for Naismith which was put into the managers pot.

The McAllister money hasn't been touched. Not a penny of it.

Throw in £200K from the live TV cup quarter final at Celtic Park and the extra revenue generated from the Challenge Cup and I'd reckon we are in a decent financial position which, if we manage to stay up, will put us on the front foot going into the next campaign.

I caught an interview with McCall on Worst FW this morning and the wee runt is a deluded fantasist. He actually said for the first 15-20 mins on Saturday Ayr were in "total control". Strange as after 20m they were 2 going on 3 down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I caught an interview with McCall on Worst FW this morning and the wee runt is a deluded fantasist. He actually said for the first 15-20 mins on Saturday Ayr were in "total control". Strange as after 20m they were 2 going on 3 down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got in just after the 1st goal went in and left as soon as the 5th went in, Ayr were not competitive at any point during that period.

Once a manager starts spouting errant nonsense like that they tend to lose the backing of most fair-minded fans, it just comes across as them taking the fans for idiots.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

2 hours ago, Div said:

The assumption that we "splashed cash" is a bit of a lazy one. We shipped 10 players out and brought 10 in. The supporters also threw in £10K to fund a loan signing to the end of the season and that helped secure Rory Loy.

The rest was pretty much 1 for 1 other than the £25K or so we got for Naismith which was put into the managers pot.

The McAllister money hasn't been touched. Not a penny of it.

Throw in £200K from the live TV cup quarter final at Celtic Park and the extra revenue generated from the Challenge Cup and I'd reckon we are in a decent financial position which, if we manage to stay up, will put us on the front foot going into the next campaign.

I just really used that as an expression to describe the massive changes on the field rather than making assumptions about the cash turnover, although for a club to make such a massive improvement to the playing staff while still turing over a profit for the month is incredible. My main point was emphasising the fact that St Mirren now compared to St Mirren pre-2017 is two completely different things.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

If that is a genuine quote then that is absolutely incredible.

Seen McCall quoted as saying his job isn't in danger even if Ayr go down as he took them up last season, which would probably be true if he wasn't pissing off the fans by coming out with ridiculous statements like they dominated for 20 mins despite being 3-0 down by the 23rd minute.

7 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Seen McCall quoted as saying his job isn't in danger even if Ayr go down as he took them up last season, which would probably be true if he wasn't pissing off the fans by coming out with ridiculous statements like they dominated for 20 mins despite being 3-0 down by the 23rd minute.

I don't much like McCall but the interviews I've seen he didn't say that.

3 minutes ago, Div said:

I don't much like McCall but the interviews I've seen he didn't say that.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Just going by this ^^^ wouldn't put it past it him he's came out with similiar nonsense before.

I doubt very much that McCall actually said that Ayr we're in total control for 20 minutes.  I think he was pretty honest in his interview while at the same time realising that there's nothing to be gained by throwing individual players under the bus given he doesn't have many options to change the team.  Adams, Cairney and McDaid would certainly improve things, but I presume only Cairney is likely to start next week.  

Archived