A STATEMENT FROM THE BEECHWOOD REGENERATION COMMITTEE

Talbot Bing

It's water under the bridge now, and the article as stipulated was to let the Talbot fans know that the Building Committee will not be in pursuit of a club license. However they are forging on and plans are in place to build a new catering facility at Beechwood during the close season. The SFA might be running Scottish football into the ground but the Beechwood Regeneration Committee shows that ordinary football fans still have a love for the game, and a pride in their club.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Kelty man said they were positioning themselves for there potentially being changes in the future and the lowland league dividing east/west.

As far as I remember the SFA position was always that new members would be placed in east or south league but this has yet to happen. I don't see how they could force Talbot but not linlithgow, Girvan or Glasgow uni

The

Kelty are in exactly the same situation after their application, we could possibly release a statement by the weekend.

Although there is positive motions planned for a discussion with the SJFA and SFA.

How vocal were Talbot in support of the Pyramid when the SJFA were in discussions (or non-discussions) pre-Lowland League?

Bottom line here is that if the SJFA acted abysmally, some of the comments that TJ & Co came out with at the time against getting involved was utter guff, and yet there was little dissent from clubs, the vast majority went along with it.  We reap what we sow.

The SJFA are equally as culpable as the SFA, but I don't see too much criticism of them in this statement.

What a situation.

I agree with Burnie man though. Some of the blame has to be laid at the feet of the SJFA. They seem to be an ambition prevention unit. The current entry routes into the National Cup competition will also go soon, cutting the Juniors off completely. Seems that's what the SJFA want though so in that sense it's a victory for them.

As Dipple says, nothing that can be done now but that shouldn't discourage the club from trying to better themselves. 

This shows that the SFA were never serious about having a pyramid and that the senior grade operates as a cartel to share out the subsidy drip feed from broadcasting revenues generated by interest in the Old Firm and national team.

Talbot need to state there intent here. Do they agree that an all in pyramid would be best for the game and how would they go about it while still looking after their own interests?

Or are they only looking to join "a cartel to share out the subsidy drip feed from broadcasting revenues generated by interest in the Old Firm and national team"

25 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

What a situation.

I agree with Burnie man though. Some of the blame has to be laid at the feet of the SJFA. They seem to be an ambition prevention unit. The current entry routes into the National Cup competition will also go soon, cutting the Juniors off completely. Seems that's what the SJFA want though so in that sense it's a victory for them.

As Dipple says, nothing that can be done now but that shouldn't discourage the club from trying to better themselves. 

In terms of senior cup, what's your source? This was voted on and rejected at a recent SFA AGM.

Asking Talbot to enter the South of Scotland League is a bit like the start of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where the plans for the bypass that led to the demolition of Arthur Dent's house were kept in a small locked office with a "Beware of the Leopard" sign on the door. Yes, there was a way to access it, but there was no serious expectation that anybody is actually ever going to do it.

SFA Club Licence and Junior Clubs

Talbot were on the verge of a licence application, part of that process is a letter of support from the clubs governing body. On requesting this Talbot were informed that should they go ahead they would be forced to play in the South of Scotland League or their East counterparts EOS League.

Can you clarify who you need a letter of support from? The SFA or SJFA.

If it's the SJFA go get clarification from the SFA, the SJFA have always been as obstructive as they can and this includes telling outright lies.

If it's the SFA then it seems strange you need a letter of support from the SFA as part of an SFA application.

9 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

How vocal were Talbot in support of the Pyramid when the SJFA were in discussions (or non-discussions) pre-Lowland League?

Bottom line here is that if the SJFA acted abysmally, some of the comments that TJ & Co came out with at the time against getting involved was utter guff, and yet there was little dissent from clubs, the vast majority went along with it.  We reap what we sow.

The SJFA are equally as culpable as the SFA, but I don't see too much criticism of them in this statement.

TJ was still at it recently, in an interview with Nutmeg magazine, saying how admission in the Juniors was only £6 and the HL/LL were 'much higher'.

Asking Talbot to enter the South of Scotland League is a bit like the start of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where the plans for the bypass that led to the demolition of Arthur Dent's house were kept in a small locked office with a "Beware of the Leopard" sign on the door. Yes, there was a way to access it, but there was no serious expectation that anybody is actually ever going to do it.

Well you would have to be mad to do it in the current format but it is still an option.

The pyramid is a dilemma that isn't going away and it's inevitable that sooner or later, one of the bigger clubs is going to jump ship. There's nothing stopping junior clubs from getting together, discussing and deciding mutual priorities and then presenting a united front to the SJFA, whether that be a demand for the formation of a Western feeder league or otherwise.

10 hours ago, Isabel Goudie said:

Which would be fatal, the geography and the appeal of such a move would render the slow death of a prosperous club. Why can some people not see this? The system sucks, isn't inclusive and discrimenatory. It is not a pyramid because it is not inclusive and frankly should be challenged! 

I agree with you I just pointed out that was the way into the pyramid.  My suggestion of a SJFA Lowland Super League (east and West) was slammed last week.

I agree with you I just pointed out that was the way into the pyramid.  My suggestion of a SJFA Lowland Super League (east and West) was slammed last week.

That's because a West and East Lowland League is the way forward, not a Junior Superleague to compete with the existing East biased LL.

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

In terms of senior cup, what's your source? This was voted on and rejected at a recent SFA AGM.

I don't have a source, pal. I'm working on an assumption that it will go, given that there have been recent attempts to take it away. I may well be wrong...usually am!

3 hours ago, calmac25 said:

Talbot need to state there intent here. Do they agree that an all in pyramid would be best for the game and how would they go about it while still looking after their own interests?

Or are they only looking to join "a cartel to share out the subsidy drip feed from broadcasting revenues generated by interest in the Old Firm and national team"

They have stated their intent. They intended to gain an SFA licence as a club who have invested money and industry into the set up. Surely aiming for the next step of certification is a logical move. Why does there have to be an ulterior motive?

26 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

That's because a West and East Lowland League is the way forward, not a Junior Superleague to compete with the existing East biased LL.

You need to make your product more appealing to those who are wanting to do that.  Very few clubs will want to join the SPFL. Do we really need more clubs in it.  AN SJFA Lowland League would maybe let the sfa get these teams into the Scottish cup.  Things can always change. 

1 hour ago, Bankies Alive said:

Glasgow Uni were given their license last year but were not made to play in the EoS or SoS leagues.

Exactly.  Both Girvan and Glasgow Uni have gained a licence since Linlithgow so it's hard to understand what's happened here in terms of the clause about being part of the pyramid. 

Banks o'Dee and Golspie Sutherland are a separate case as there is no route into the Highland League anyway (and nothing at all seems to be getting done to change that).

Just now, stanley said:

Exactly.  Both Girvan and Glasgow Uni have gained a licence since Linlithgow so it's hard to understand what's happened here in terms of use  clause about being part of the pyramid. 

Banks o'Dee and Golspie Sutherland are a separate case as there is no route into the Highland League anyway (and nothing at all seems to be getting done to change that).

Girvan had their licence before Linlithgow from when they were in the senior system

2 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Girvan had their licence before Linlithgow from when they were in the senior system

They were members of the SFA before Linlithgow, but obtained their license well after shortly before the deadline to retain Scottish Cup entry for this season.

Archived