A STATEMENT FROM THE BEECHWOOD REGENERATION COMMITTEE

Talbot Bing

With respect, it would help matters enormously if Talbot posters were a little less defensive & cease seeing conspiracies everywhere against them like a certain failing football club from Glasgow. It's getting past boring.
"Your comments about Gretna etc are inappropriate, they were the authors of their own demise", dear oh dear oh dear... do try reading the paragraph in full & taking the time to digest the material instead of skimming for trigger words to indulge in reflex "whataboutery", there's a good chap.
As I said, no matter how foolproof a system any footballing organisation will come up with, and how honest are the intentions of the clubs aiming to step up:
1. Some will nevertheless rashly undertake what they are incapable of (Royal Albert & the first sojourn of Edinburgh City being the classic examples).
2. Some will throw prior prudent planning to the wind in a dash for success, cut corners, & it all ends in disaster (such as Gretna when Mileson seized control). This happens as it is within the existing senior and Junior grades as it is as the respective stories of Glasgow Rangers and Irvine Meadow demonstrate, let alone with clubs looking to step up.
3. Some will fail down to sheer bad luck - the lump of West Lothian Junior clubs all coming directly or indirectly from the wreckages of former Scottish Football League sides are testament to how even the best run sides may fall victim to events outside of a club's control (in this instance the collapse of the shale oil industry turning their localities in ghost towns in a few short years).
But it is not for the SFA - or anyone else - to tell clubs what sort of business plan or short/long term strategy they have to adopt: they are not a local government enterprise initiative/regeneration board there to nanny clubs into "good practice". They are merely there to put the framework in place for clubs to compete within, & that framework created can be gauged to be to the overall satisfaction of existing members (by no means without grumbles) insofar that they're all readily taking part in it!
If those outside it don't like it, then fine, move on, no one is forcing you to become licensed. But as I've said a little self-honesty as to motivations wouldn't go amiss - the only reason Talbot & certain other Junior sides are making such a fuss over the licensing criteria is the prospect of kissing goodbye to all that lovely Scottish Cup money, otherwise it would be no skin off their noses to tell the SFA no thank you, would it? Talbot would toddle off back to playing only Junior games and nothing materially would change.
Like I said, this is less about a licence and more about the largesse which comes with it. Until you start being at least honest with yourselves about it, let alone with anyone else, few are going to take what you say as genuine and honest. Which is a big part of the problem the Juniors face in their dealings with Scottish football as a whole: the "big kids" have been bitten in the ankles a few times too many by what they see as their ungrateful selfish little brothers, & as I warned many years ago would happen have now lost patience.
The structure of Scottish football may be a pig's breakfast, but neither is it a buffet where you get to pick & choose the bits of it you find the most appetising. If Talbot - or anyone else in the Juniors - aren't willing to at least show a little Spartans style cunning to demonstrate what they see as the absurdity of the licensing system (which in itself would show a willingness to progress), but merely expect to have everything they want handed on a plate, they're going to be staring at an empty one for a long time to come.

Which team do you follow my friend

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Quantum Leap said:

I honestly just don't read anything he bashes into his keyboard anymore.
It's always the same old shite rehashed and rebashed.
I just skip past his comments.emoji6.png

Funny you should say that but I do the same. It doesn't matter a jot what is said on this forum the SFA will rightly or wrongly do what they want.

6 hours ago, Killiepiyo said:

You openly created a conspiracy involving the regeneration committees statement! Lol honest to goodness 

The "committee" posted up a lengthy critique of the licencing requirements tagged to a thinly veiled call to arms to other Junior sides & a feeble disclaimer on the official club website, then pulled it down once it had plenty of time to disseminate.

That's not a "conspiracy", that's trying to be fly - and that will continue to be the case until such times as Talbot issue out a statement making it abundantly clear the parties responsible did so without their permission & that they want no association with any part of it.

That juvenile feet-of-clay attempt at sleekit behaviour may generate smirks around the Beechwood orbit, but it will cut little ice with those at Hampden: indeed, it's more likely to make for a frostier response; so all in all a counter-productive action, & tough luck on Kelty Hearts who will be trying with a more mature approach with the beaks in the wake of it.

13 hours ago, WaffenThinMint said:

With respect, it would help matters enormously if Talbot posters were a little less defensive & cease seeing conspiracies everywhere against them like a certain failing football club from Glasgow. 

Haud oan, you mean a Senior club from Govan, don't you.

12 hours ago, WaffenThinMint said:

The "committee" posted up a lengthy critique of the licencing requirements tagged to a thinly veiled call to arms to other Junior sides & a feeble disclaimer on the official club website, then pulled it down once it had plenty of time to disseminate.

That's not a "conspiracy", that's trying to be fly - and that will continue to be the case until such times as Talbot issue out a statement making it abundantly clear the parties responsible did so without their permission & that they want no association with any part of it.

That juvenile feet-of-clay attempt at sleekit behaviour may generate smirks around the Beechwood orbit, but it will cut little ice with those at Hampden: indeed, it's more likely to make for a frostier response; so all in all a counter-productive action, & tough luck on Kelty Hearts who will be trying with a more mature approach with the beaks in the wake of it.

This is why Diamond White should be banned!

On 22/03/2017 at 21:21, Talbot Bing said:

So, what can be done? Will Junior clubs accept this? Will the SJFA roll over and allow their clubs to be discriminated in such a fashion?

Here's your answer:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/lower-leagues/bo-ness-and-kelty-ponder-leaving-juniors-to-follow-spfl-dream-1-4412717

So go & choke on it you multiple alias running weirdo! :lol:

Ahhhaaaahaaa [emoji23] I like that wee bit with the editing there wafer thin.

Acht yer material is copied from me son so c'mon tae fk try yer own[emoji23].

Onto your post, There is nothing new about Kelty who are public about it for a while or Bo'Ness who are open to change. We all know this or folk in the know do.

I am not against change but just that its done with common sense with financial viability for all interested parties.

Your suggestion of playing two teams in paraell leagues to each other is ludicrous and that's where your argument flatlined am afraid.

Go back to your dark room, rethink again your thought process and return with some input that is credible. [emoji16]

15 hours ago, WaffenThinMint said:

Actually, IMHO this article delevers no answers. It is bog standard local newspaper stuff that tells us nothing more than most of us already knew. That being that three Junior clubs including Kelty and Bo'ness are interested in a club licence. All the rhetoric regarding the LL is there to make the article more interesting. 

Go Waffin, enlighten us to what you think this answers? 

Actually, IMHO this article delevers no answers. It is bog standard local newspaper stuff that tells us nothing more than most of us already knew. That being that three Junior clubs including Kelty and Bo'ness are interested in a club licence. All the rhetoric regarding the LL is there to make the article more interesting. 

I think I agree - they want a licence but don't want to commit to the pyramid in its present form. That's why they haven't committed already and are asking questions. I think I heard that reporter is barred from Bo'ness ground? Maybe there is the agenda....

Looks like Bo'ness United might be the first domino to fall in terms of going for it despite the EoS entry angle:

http://bonessunitedfc.co.uk/item.php?pg=news&pd=1009&it=88

Will be interesting to see what unfolds from here, because I suspect the SFA don't actually want top junior clubs to do this and will try to dream up another way to move the goalposts on licensing. Would never try to tell the regulars at Newtown Park what should happen with their club, but since I was knee high to a grasshopper it's always seemed weird to me that a club that once played home games against the Old Firm in the top tier back in the 1920s (Bo'ness FC was one of the two clubs that amalgamated at the end of WWII) that clearly has as much potential in terms of drawing a regular crowd as the likes of Alloa or Stenhousemuir had no clear way back into the seniors, if they ever decided to give it a go again. If they became licensed and moved to the EoS, I'm confident that within two seasons the BUs would be in the chasing pack for the end of season playoff for SPFL entry and having the Shire around locally at that level maybe makes that a lot easier to contemplate than it was a few years back.  

On Thursday, April 06, 2017 at 16:05, Isabel Goudie said:

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Looks like Bo'ness United might be the first domino to fall in terms of going for it despite the EoS entry angle:

http://bonessunitedfc.co.uk/item.php?pg=news&pd=1009&it=88

:lol:  Sorry Isobel, you were saying ?

• 11 months later...

This thread was started a year ago today. We contacted the SJFA for guidance and our plans to get licenced around this time too, Im assuming Talbot were probably the same.

The SJFA have had at the very least 12 months to get things moving for the benefit of all their clubs, just last month was the 1st of them canvassing opinion from clubs. Is it any wonder clubs are looking to take control of their destiny.

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 21:21, Talbot Bing said:

SFA Club Licence and Junior Clubs

Auchinleck Talbot FC are a club many would argue are the epitome of a highly functional progressive club who operate very efficiently within the resources available’ a model for all non-league clubs, some would say for many league clubs also. Since the threat to their very existence in the early 1970s the club galvanised the town round them and have progressed into a modern sustainable club. Having improved year on both on and significantly off the park consistently cultivating a team that has competed at the top end of Junior Football almost every season for almost four decades.

A club that many describe as a quintessential community club jumped through the hoops and ticked all the boxes in order to be officially recognised as such by the SFA through the “Community Award”.  The club over the last two decades have extensively renovated Beechwood Park into a fabulous small stadium perfect for non-league football in the modern era with facilities befitting an arena where people would take their families to spectate.

So, what next? What would such a club do to remain on a progressive route? A club with an outstanding pedigree and a large fan base, surely a club licence would be the obvious target, one would think! However, such is the idiosyncratic nature of Scottish football that this it would appear is impossible for any club who ply their trade in Junior Football in the West or Central belt.

It is common Knowledge that Talbot intended applying for a club licence, their ground is after all in many aspects way and above the required standard, their infrastructure is all but in place. Two Junior clubs already have obtained this privilege and the cash advantage that goes with it, but unless a massive anomaly is addressed in the whole process there won’t be any more.

Talbot were on the verge of a licence application, part of that process is a letter of support from the clubs governing body. On requesting this Talbot were informed that should they go ahead they would be forced to play in the South of Scotland League or their East counterparts EOS League. A new approach demanding full commitment to the pyramid system has been enforced after Linlithgow Rose’s Licence award means that Rose can indeed enjoy the rewards of a licence without being forced out of Junior Football. Banks o Dee have a similar arrangement.

This preposterous position that would force an ambitious Junior club to play in a vastly inferior league, that is geographically incompatible, is the serious proposition that the SFA would expect clubs to honour should they apply for a licence. It is impossible to come up with any argument to counter the one that suggests that this would be financial and social Armageddon for a club such as Talbot. But Talbot, much to their surprise have discovered that this flawed concept, engulfed in tunnel vision is indeed the SFA’s solution to complying with UEFA mandate and commitment to the pyramid system.

So, what can be done? Will Junior clubs accept this? Will the SJFA roll over and allow their clubs to be discriminated in such a fashion? Could such an outrageous scenario unfold in any other country? So, for the time being Talbot’s ambition of a Club Licence would appear to be dead in the water. The club will continue to improve the ground and will use the guidelines for club licence as a template. You never know, the SFA could just see the error of their ways and find a resolution to this outrageous incongruity. However be advised, don’t hold your breath!

You will probably heard that last night Bonnyrigg  Rose opted for lure of the seemingly huge pots of gold that await them in the EofS and eventually the LL....with the added bonus of playing in the Big,,Scottish Cup....The argument that they are ambitious and this is  the only way to go for future success... it seems to them that junior football has no future at all....I am sure that if many of the fans at the meeting had the above well presented statement of your position it would have put a different slant on the pots of gold fairy tale....They are expecting bigger crowds in their new adventure next season......time will tell.....junior fans are junior fans in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, BENJI BOY said:

You will probably heard that last night Bonnyrigg  Rose opted for lure of the seemingly huge pots of gold that await them in the EofS and eventually the LL....with the added bonus of playing in the Big,,Scottish Cup....The argument that they are ambitious and this is  the only way to go for future success... it seems to them that junior football has no future at all....I am sure that if many of the fans at the meeting had the above well presented statement of your position it would have put a different slant on the pots of gold fairy tale....They are expecting bigger crowds in their new adventure next season......time will tell.....junior fans are junior fans in my opinion.

The post you quoted is indeed well presented and eloquent, and does describe well the problems faced by Talbot and other West Region clubs who would like to gain a licence and/or enter the pyramid. But the main problem that it identifies is the lack of a viable alternative set up in that area due to  the geographical vagaries of the SoS league. 

But that is clearly NOT the case in the East. So quite why that particular post would have swayed the votes at Bonnyrigg’s meeting last night I’m not sure. 

Archived