A STATEMENT FROM THE BEECHWOOD REGENERATION COMMITTEE

Talbot Bing

SFA Club Licence and Junior Clubs

Auchinleck Talbot FC are a club many would argue are the epitome of a highly functional progressive club who operate very efficiently within the resources available’ a model for all non-league clubs, some would say for many league clubs also. Since the threat to their very existence in the early 1970s the club galvanised the town round them and have progressed into a modern sustainable club. Having improved year on both on and significantly off the park consistently cultivating a team that has competed at the top end of Junior Football almost every season for almost four decades.

A club that many describe as a quintessential community club jumped through the hoops and ticked all the boxes in order to be officially recognised as such by the SFA through the “Community Award”.  The club over the last two decades have extensively renovated Beechwood Park into a fabulous small stadium perfect for non-league football in the modern era with facilities befitting an arena where people would take their families to spectate.

So, what next? What would such a club do to remain on a progressive route? A club with an outstanding pedigree and a large fan base, surely a club licence would be the obvious target, one would think! However, such is the idiosyncratic nature of Scottish football that this it would appear is impossible for any club who ply their trade in Junior Football in the West or Central belt.

It is common Knowledge that Talbot intended applying for a club licence, their ground is after all in many aspects way and above the required standard, their infrastructure is all but in place. Two Junior clubs already have obtained this privilege and the cash advantage that goes with it, but unless a massive anomaly is addressed in the whole process there won’t be any more.

Talbot were on the verge of a licence application, part of that process is a letter of support from the clubs governing body. On requesting this Talbot were informed that should they go ahead they would be forced to play in the South of Scotland League or their East counterparts EOS League. A new approach demanding full commitment to the pyramid system has been enforced after Linlithgow Rose’s Licence award means that Rose can indeed enjoy the rewards of a licence without being forced out of Junior Football. Banks o Dee have a similar arrangement.

This preposterous position that would force an ambitious Junior club to play in a vastly inferior league, that is geographically incompatible, is the serious proposition that the SFA would expect clubs to honour should they apply for a licence. It is impossible to come up with any argument to counter the one that suggests that this would be financial and social Armageddon for a club such as Talbot. But Talbot, much to their surprise have discovered that this flawed concept, engulfed in tunnel vision is indeed the SFA’s solution to complying with UEFA mandate and commitment to the pyramid system.

So, what can be done? Will Junior clubs accept this? Will the SJFA roll over and allow their clubs to be discriminated in such a fashion? Could such an outrageous scenario unfold in any other country? So, for the time being Talbot’s ambition of a Club Licence would appear to be dead in the water. The club will continue to improve the ground and will use the guidelines for club licence as a template. You never know, the SFA could just see the error of their ways and find a resolution to this outrageous incongruity. However be advised, don’t hold your breath!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if Auchinleck went into the Lowland League it would be some amount of travel. Most of the teams in Lowland league are central and towards the East.  BSC Glasgow when at maryhill was further west now in alloa. 

SFA will need to get a full pyrmaid in place but even if East of Scotland and South of Scotland league becomes feeder League for Lowland league where does West of Scotland teams go.  As stated already it would not be a good place to go.

When Linlithgow went through the process - the SFA tried late on to change the goalposts to push the Rose towards the LL.

Fortunately at that time they accepted this had not been part of the initial requirements but still added a caveat that they could in the future add this condition of joining the LL.

I'm sure if my recollection isn't correct someone will clarify.

SFA Club Licence and Junior Clubs

Auchinleck Talbot FC are a club many would argue are the epitome of a highly functional progressive club who operate very efficiently within the resources available’ a model for all non-league clubs, some would say for many league clubs also. Since the threat to their very existence in the early 1970s the club galvanised the town round them and have progressed into a modern sustainable club. Having improved year on both on and significantly off the park consistently cultivating a team that has competed at the top end of Junior Football almost every season for almost four decades.

A club that many describe as a quintessential community club jumped through the hoops and ticked all the boxes in order to be officially recognised as such by the SFA through the “Community Award”.  The club over the last two decades have extensively renovated Beechwood Park into a fabulous small stadium perfect for non-league football in the modern era with facilities befitting an arena where people would take their families to spectate.

So, what next? What would such a club do to remain on a progressive route? A club with an outstanding pedigree and a large fan base, surely a club licence would be the obvious target, one would think! However, such is the idiosyncratic nature of Scottish football that this it would appear is impossible for any club who ply their trade in Junior Football in the West or Central belt.

It is common Knowledge that Talbot intended applying for a club licence, their ground is after all in many aspects way and above the required standard, their infrastructure is all but in place. Two Junior clubs already have obtained this privilege and the cash advantage that goes with it, but unless a massive anomaly is addressed in the whole process there won’t be any more.

Talbot were on the verge of a licence application, part of that process is a letter of support from the clubs governing body. On requesting this Talbot were informed that should they go ahead they would be forced to play in the South of Scotland League or their East counterparts EOS League. A new approach demanding full commitment to the pyramid system has been enforced after Linlithgow Rose’s Licence award means that Rose can indeed enjoy the rewards of a licence without being forced out of Junior Football. Banks o Dee have a similar arrangement.

This preposterous position that would force an ambitious Junior club to play in a vastly inferior league, that is geographically incompatible, is the serious proposition that the SFA would expect clubs to honour should they apply for a licence. It is impossible to come up with any argument to counter the one that suggests that this would be financial and social Armageddon for a club such as Talbot. But Talbot, much to their surprise have discovered that this flawed concept, engulfed in tunnel vision is indeed the SFA’s solution to complying with UEFA mandate and commitment to the pyramid system.

So, what can be done? Will Junior clubs accept this? Will the SJFA roll over and allow their clubs to be discriminated in such a fashion? Could such an outrageous scenario unfold in any other country? So, for the time being Talbot’s ambition of a Club Licence would appear to be dead in the water. The club will continue to improve the ground and will use the guidelines for club licence as a template. You never know, the SFA could just see the error of their ways and find a resolution to this outrageous incongruity. However be advised, don’t hold your breath!

You forgot about Girvan too! If this is accurate than i hope the SFA have a clear idea of what they will do to treat other teams not participating in the pyramid the same.

Integration is the only real answer to this. The SFA should make a stand. I would hope that Talbot fire some shots at the SJFA too to demand that they engage in the pyramid

I don't really see the problem with restricting access to the senior Scottish Cup, which is really the only advantage in having a licence. I'm of the opinion that if you want to play yearly in a senior competition then you should become a senior club.

Remember, every premier league junior club still has two chances every season to qualify for it, either by winning the league or the national cup.

The unfair aspect is that two junior clubs have already achieved licencing prior to the gates being shut, and now can enter the big cup every year, along with Girvan, while other clubs are now prevented from doing so.

I would like to inform readers that the above article is not a statement from Talbot, but from an independent committee who have worked hard to upgrade Beechwood Park. The committee has made no secret that they were working towards a club license and the article was issued to let Talbot supporters know where they now stand. 

Decisions like this really does show what kind of people or aresholes running or should that be ruining Scottish football.

After watching that display tonight you would think the SFA would maybe have more concerns.

9 minutes ago, energyzone said:

I don't really see the problem with restricting access to the senior Scottish Cup, which is really the only advantage in having a licence. I'm of the opinion that if you want to play yearly in a senior competition then you should become a senior club.

Remember, every premier league junior club still has two chances every season to qualify for it, either by winning the league or the national cup.

The unfair aspect is that two junior clubs have already achieved licencing prior to the gates being shut, and now can enter the big cup every year, along with Girvan, while other clubs are now prevented from doing so.

So tell me how a team like Talbot become a senior club then? Oh, and there is a substatial fee handed out to licenced clubs every season, so you're wrong about the only advantage. 

So tell me how a team like Talbot become a senior club then? Oh, and there is a substatial fee handed out to licenced clubs every season, so you're wrong about the only advantage. 

Tell the juniors that you'll quit if they don't work out a way to progress. Take like minded clubs with you. There must be at least 10clubs in the West/south west with similar ambitions as Talbot

Can someone explain why a Club license is needed if the club don't want to play in the Lowland League or the pyramid? What does the licence bring in terms of benefit? I've never heard of it before.

I would imagine resigning from the SJFA and applying for membership of the South of Scotland League would be the way to go.

What is the fee? When senior fans occasionally drop in here for an argument they are always pretty adamant that they don't get any subsidies from the SFA.

9 minutes ago, Isabel Goudie said:

They have to go to East of scotland or south of scotland league thats whats stipulated then wait to enter the lowland league when they can

1 minute ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

They have to go to East of scotland or south of scotland league thats whats stipulated then wait to enter the lowland league when they can

Which would be fatal, the geography and the appeal of such a move would render the slow death of a prosperous club. Why can some people not see this? The system sucks, isn't inclusive and discrimenatory. It is not a pyramid because it is not inclusive and frankly should be challenged! 

I would imagine resigning from the SJFA and applying for membership of the South of Scotland League would be the way to go.

What is the fee? When senior fans occasionally drop in here for an argument they are always pretty adamant that they don't get any subsidies from the SFA.

I think the issue people have is when it's called subsidies or handouts! I believe​ non league licenced clubs get payments from the SFA due to being members. I'm sure I've seen it quoted as between £4-10k per year.

Merge the south and west leagues would be an easy answer as the south teams can't afford promotion to the lowland as it stands

Archived