Westminster stabbing/shooting

24 minutes ago, Romeo said:

The Just Giving Page for PC Palmers family currently stands at 145k. 

I wonder how much of that came from all the MPs who sang his praises in Parliament this morning.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, throbber said:

I just pronounce it as Princes street as if it were belonging to a prince. Just depends who you are speaking to though I suppose.

If it did belong to a prince, then Princes would have an apostrophe in it (Prince's)

Princes Street is named for two sons (both princes) of some Hanovarian King George the something in the 19th century (I think).

George and Frederick?

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Based on the information that has been released about the attacker it appears that it would well nigh impossible to deter an attack such as this in the future.  

Agree.

Crude, unsophisticated, un-coordinated, lone not terribly well-known nut-job using freely available materials to commit his violence. I doubt there is really anything practical that could have been done except further bollards on the bridge, and even then. We can't just put tank traps everywhere.

Saying all this, I have no doubt this will be used to push pro-UK British nationalism, immigration curbs, the continued erosion of our privacy and massive spending on both conventional and non-conventional security forces. And of course more uses of the phrase "now is not the time."

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Based on the information that has been released about the attacker it appears that it would well nigh impossible to deter an attack such as this in the future.  

Correct, I'm not sure driving an SUV is going to make you stand out anywhere, especially not in London.

2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Agree.

Crude, unsophisticated, un-coordinated, lone not terribly well-known nut-job using freely available materials to commit his violence. I doubt there is really anything practical that could have been done except further bollards on the bridge, and even then. We can't just put tank traps everywhere.

Saying all this, I have no doubt this will be used to push pro-UK British nationalism, immigration curbs, the continued erosion of our privacy and massive spending on both conventional and non-conventional security forces. And of course more uses of the phrase "now is not the time."

No doubt it will be one of the issues but unless you can stop folk from Kent emigrating to the Midlands then visiting London it would not had much effect in this case.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

An awful lot of these European terrorists seem to have had little do with any kind of Islam until they went to prison and were indoctrinated into the perversion of IS. There must be something that could be done about that. Haven't read much about this individual though.

An awful lot of these European terrorists seem to have had little do with any kind of Islam until they went to prison and were indoctrinated into the perversion of IS. There must be something that could be done about that. Haven't read much about this individual though.

There was something on the radio the other day about the Saudi-funded projects in prisons, and how there's something very dodgy about it (but the funding is crucial to the service and so blind eyes are turned (so to speak)).

A well meaning soul* has just sent me a black union flag graphic "In case I want to use it on my Facebook profile."

Nah, you're alright.

* Passive aggressive arse pretending to be helpful while really asking "Why the hell haven't you used this on your Facebook profile yet? Do you love terrorism?"

13 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Update: There are a couple of Metropolitan policemen standing guard outside my nearest subway station. I can see them from my window. It's not looking good. Goodbye, Pie and Bovril. I've enjoyed my time on here.

Don't feel bad, you'd have been caught/shot to pieces eventually. It will be a relief

19 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Update: There are a couple of Metropolitan policemen standing guard outside my nearest subway station. I can see them from my window. It's not looking good. Goodbye, Pie and Bovril. I've enjoyed my time on here.

Start singing, that should scare them off.

Archived