Westminster stabbing/shooting

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It always surprises me, thankfully, just how useless/stupid/deluded these terrorists are. If you wanted to make a statement would you not have killed an actual MP or someone connected to the Iraq war or Syria?

Mowing down innocent people is doing completely the opposite of what they are trying to achieve. It will be interesting to hear their motives and who is behind it. 

They are trying to achieve making people believe they are in danger. They hope that people will put pressure on politicians to "crack down" on Muslims, which will further alienate that community and act as a recruitment tool. Leading to more tension and violence. There is no real end game, creating that situation is reason enough for them to do it.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

They are trying to achieve making people believe they are in danger. They hope that people will put pressure on politicians to "crack down" on Muslims, which will further alienate that community and act as a recruitment tool. Leading to more tension and violence. There is no real end game, creating that situation is reason enough for them to do it.

It's why I've always wondered why this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. You don't have to contact anyone to arrange it, and don't have to stock up on suspicious supplies that could alert the authorities. Far simpler than trying to bomb somewhere, but the results can be equally horrific.

I'd be surprised if anyone without the authority to talk to the press was doing so for more than a soundbite to be honest. I'm a fuckin' dogsbody at a mental health hospital in the North of the city miles away from any likely terrorist activity and we've had it drilled into us that we are, under no circumstances, to talk to the press if any major incidents happen. Would be unlikely a doctor in one of the big inner city hospitals hadn't had the same chat.

Just now, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I'd be surprised if anyone without the authority to talk to the press was doing so for more than a soundbite to be honest. I'm a fuckin' dogsbody at a mental health hospital in the North of the city miles away from any likely terrorist activity and we've had it drilled into us that we are, under no circumstances, to talk to the press if any major incidents happen. Would be unlikely a doctor in one of the big inner city hospitals hadn't had the same chat.

Which city?

I was listening to the PM programme on radio 4 and serial c**t Quentin Letts was being interviewed as he had watched this happen from inside a building. Bizarrely he started his account by saying 'I'm not trying to sound like a hero' or words to that effect and then went on to give an account which would lead absolutely no one to accuse him of being a hero. He did bravely watch it happen.

11 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

It's why I've always wondered why this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. You don't have to contact anyone to arrange it, and don't have to stock up on suspicious supplies that could alert the authorities. Far simpler than trying to bomb somewhere, but the results can be equally horrific.

I wondered that too and concluded that a fair few of these are planned but the planner then bottles it for one reasonor another - possibly because not all of theseason extremists are quite as ready to be dead as they would have you believe. 

10 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Funny you should say that

58d2e625e8eab_BellaCaledonia.JPG.9a7e92fffef86236d0862368bbab922c.JPG

Great to see Liz got her 1 like for her 1 respect.  Not such a terrible day for everyone. 

48 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Its my understanding though that papers normally refuse to buy these pictures. Regardless what a shower of scumbags.

British papers wouldn't touch them. Foreign ones aren't so fussy (i.e. the pictures of Diana in the crashed car).

It's easy to see how these attacks can leave an enduring legacy.  How do you walk around Westminster, go to work etc...and not wonder if another attack is just around the corner?  There will be armed police around for a while now and that type of thing really does make you aware of a threat.  However small that threat is, would you take a child anywhere near that area in the near future, you know, just in case?

In other news....

A US led air strike on a school in Syria today killed, going by latest reports, 33 people who were using the school as a shelter.

Archived