West Region restructure proposal.

The Ilford Drummer

The relevant committees can call the leagues whatever they want

I would have more confidence in them if they could have sorted the final few games of this season.

Maryhill had five games in hand over Yoker about six weeks ago. Yoker play last two games after Maryhill season is done.

Final league game in mid June?

Reconstruction hopefully will come with a more organised (and manageable) fixture list.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/05/2017 at 09:56, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'd go for Super Duper, Super, Not so Super and Not Super at all.

Eta, East and West obviously.

I'd go with Super, No' bad, Awright and Bit Shite leagues.

Programme editorials would be so much more fun to write.

Wouldn’t it be good if the three Regions all followed broadly the same naming convention therefore less confusion.

We’ll now have the Premiership as the top division in the West, whilst the Premierleague remains the second tier in the East.

Wouldn’t it be good if the three Regions all followed broadly the same naming convention therefore less confusion.
We’ll now have the Premiership as the top division in the West, whilst the Premierleague remains the second tier in the East.

The Premier League in the East is the daftest name ever. The very definition of "Premier" is "first in importance, order or position". That's clearly not the case in the East.

4 minutes ago, glensmad said:

The Premier League in the East is the daftest name ever. The very definition of "Premier" is "first in importance, order or position". That's clearly not the case in the East.

It may or may not be daft, but it's understood that it's the level below the Superleague. Now with the West dumping the Superleague tag and creating a Premiership and Championship it's really going to be confusing.

It may or may not be daft, but it's understood that it's the level below the Superleague. Now with the West dumping the Superleague tag and creating a Premiership and Championship it's really going to be confusing.

I don't see how it's confusing as it's the same as what the senior leagues in Scotland and England do (although I still think it's daft). But having a "Premier League" that isn't actually the premier league is confusing to me.

5 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I don't see how it's confusing as it's the same as what the senior leagues in Scotland and England do (although I still think it's daft). But having a "Premier League" that isn't actually the premier league is confusing to me.

Well in that case so is having a Championship where the winners are not the Champions.

The point I’m making is that once the West and East/North Regions are out of kilter then it just causes further confusion. It would go good if there was a consistent naming convention, but then this is the Juniors where nothing is ever as it seems.

Well in that case so is having a Championship where the winners are not the Champions.

I absolutely agree with you on that one. The reason the English called their 2nd tier as the Championship was because it was the top tier of the leagues run by the EFL. The English Premier League was a company all of its own and not under the EFL banner.

However, when they decided to rename the SPFL leagues, the powers-that-be clearly didn't understand the reasoning above, and simply copied the names from England, presumably because they thought it was the "in thing", without actually thinking about the logic of it.

Now it seems that the West Region Juniors may follow suit, with the third tier being called League One. It's just plain daft.

I'm pretty sure someone pointed out before that before Premierships and Premier leagues divsion 1 was the top league and people probably thought it was obscure because they were used to the status quo and scared of an ever evolving world.

I'm pretty sure someone pointed out before that before Premierships and Premier leagues divsion 1 was the top league and people probably thought it was obscure because they were used to the status quo and scared of an ever evolving world.

It's a purely British thing, not an evolving world. The top leagues in France are "Ligue 1" and "Ligue 2", in Italy it's "Serie A", and "Serie B", in Spain it's "La Liga" and "Segunda Division", and in Germany it's the "Bundesliga" and the "Zweite Bundesliga".

Only in the UK is the third tier league known as "League One". It's just daft.

So now we know, IF the current reconstruction proposal had come into force NOW, for the start of NEXT season, the new divisions would look like this:

West Region Premiership:

Arthurlie, Auchinleck Talbot, Beith, Clydebank, Cumnock, Girvan, Glenafton Athletic, Hurlford United, Kilbirnie Ladeside, Kilsyth Rangers, Kilwinning Rangers, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, Largs Thistle, Petershill, Pollok, Troon

West Region Championship:

Ardrossan Winton Rovers, Blantyre Victoria, Cambuslang Rangers, Cumbernauld United, Darvel, Irvine Meadow XI, Irvine Victoria, Kello Rovers, Larkhall Thistle, Maryhill, Renfrew, Rutherglen Glencairn, St Roch's, Shettleston, Shotts Bon Accord, Yoker Athletic

West Region League 1:

Annbank United, Benburb, Craigmark Burntonians, Dalry Thistle, East Kilbride Thistle, Forth Wanderers, Greenock, Glasgow Perthshire, Lesmahagow, Maybole, Neilston, Port Glasgow, Rossvale, Thorniewood United, Whitletts Victoria, Wishaw

West Region League 2:

Ardeer Thistle, Ashfield, Bellshill Athletic, Carluke Rovers, Dunipace, Gartcairn, Johnstone Burgh, Lanark United, Lugar Boswell Thistle, Muirkirk, Newmains, Royal Albert, St Anthony's, Saltcoats Victoria, Vale of Clyde, Vale of Leven.

Thoughts?

45 minutes ago, shirley said:

That sure to put teams oot game.

Not out the game they can go into regiona  amatuer league, exactly where teams should go if they can't survive a small change like that.

3 hours ago, archieb said:

So now we know, IF the current reconstruction proposal had come into force NOW, for the start of NEXT season, the new divisions would look like this:

West Region Premiership:

Arthurlie, Auchinleck Talbot, Beith, Clydebank, Cumnock, Girvan, Glenafton Athletic, Hurlford United, Kilbirnie Ladeside, Kilsyth Rangers, Kilwinning Rangers, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, Largs Thistle, Petershill, Pollok, Troon

West Region Championship:

Ardrossan Winton Rovers, Blantyre Victoria, Cambuslang Rangers, Cumbernauld United, Darvel, Irvine Meadow XI, Irvine Victoria, Kello Rovers, Larkhall Thistle, Maryhill, Renfrew, Rutherglen Glencairn, St Roch's, Shettleston, Shotts Bon Accord, Yoker Athletic

West Region League 1:

Annbank United, Benburb, Craigmark Burntonians, Dalry Thistle, East Kilbride Thistle, Forth Wanderers, Greenock, Glasgow Perthshire, Lesmahagow, Maybole, Neilston, Port Glasgow, Rossvale, Thorniewood United, Whitletts Victoria, Wishaw

West Region League 2:

Ardeer Thistle, Ashfield, Bellshill Athletic, Carluke Rovers, Dunipace, Gartcairn, Johnstone Burgh, Lanark United, Lugar Boswell Thistle, Muirkirk, Newmains, Royal Albert, St Anthony's, Saltcoats Victoria, Vale of Clyde, Vale of Leven.

Thoughts?

The Candy got promotion, yippee.

Archived