West Region restructure proposal.

The Ilford Drummer

9 minutes ago, MrAnoymous said:

As stated in the back log of games why doesn't the fixture man just make at the start of the season a couple of mid week games when thethe suns still out to help with the usual back log off games come the end off the season? I'm sure the east do that

I believe the West region allready do just that, it's called the league cup!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, MrAnoymous said:

As stated in the back log of games why doesn't the fixture man just make at the start of the season a couple of mid week games when the suns still out to help with the usual back log off games come the end off the season? I'm sure the east do that?

In the East Region they abolished the sectional cups when they moved to 16-team divisions.

At the moment the West Region opens with sectional cups played Sat-Wed-Sat-Wed-Sat then QFs > SFs use the next 2 Weds. So that's first 4 midweeks taken-up - thereafter it's September and too dark to play by natural light.

17 hours ago, rednblack said:

See you think it's dross some others think it's dross but many people don't.

We had a great time in our sectional league cup run and eventual win this season and some 700 people were at the final about 85/90 per cent of the crowd were from kirky you could see at the end what it meant to everyone.

Not everyone can win trophies every year for every club who do so regular or semi regular you have ten or fifteen who don't.

We could  introduce 10 new cups if you want to give everybody a chance of winning silverware but the teams that win regular would simply prioritise.

To go to 16 team leagues AND keep a sectional League Cup which takes up early season midweeks is going to create problems IMO.

As has been said, the East scrapped their sectional LC because a) very few liked it anyway and more importantly b) it freed up midweek slots to get the leagues off to a solid start. Even at that, some clubs still face a busy end of season schedule.

9 hours ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

And yet again we sit with just one fixture on the board.Easter hols coming up and a lot clubs could be doing to promote their games, if only they knew who and when they were playing.Total joke set up, hopefully only one more season to suffer it.

Hopefully NO more seasons to suffer it!

The fixture scheduling motion that's been submitted proposes a start to advance notice NEXT season. Ultimately the intention is to have half a season's fixtures out by the AGM and the second half by 30th November. This would be brought in in quarter-seasons though for 2017-18 only, the deadlines would be fixtures to the end of September issued at the AGM (pretty much what happens already),  Oct-Dec by 31 August, Jan-Mar by 30 Nov and the rest by 28 Feb.

• 1 month later...

AGM motions were debated at yesterday evening's West Region meeting, including the Whitletts proposals for League Reconstruction and Fixture Setting. While there were several delegates who expressed opposition to both of these, rather more (in my estimation) spoke out in favour. Any proposed amendments must be submitted by next Thursday, 4th May, then these and the substantive motions will go before the AGM in June to be voted on.

1 hour ago, archieb said:

AGM motions were debated at yesterday evening's West Region meeting, including the Whitletts proposals for League Reconstruction and Fixture Setting. While there were several delegates who expressed opposition to both of these, rather more (in my estimation) spoke out in favour. Any proposed amendments must be submitted by next Thursday, 4th May, then these and the substantive motions will go before the AGM in June to be voted on.

I'd like to have heard that conversation.

"Can we discuss this proposal to make things better"?

"Naw".

8 hours ago, archieb said:

Whilst anything calling itself a committee is rarely fit for anything but ridicule, not using daylight hours in early season midweek and continuing with the utterly pointless sectional cup shows that old duffers haven't a clue. Pointing out that the weather can make a nonsense of fixture planning and getting ahead of the game by playing as many games pre November would also be wasted on those who think forward planning means ten days maximum and think early season drama means mismatches in a joke competition on pitches that could well be a bog, once they get around to scheduling the proper stuff...sigh.

19 minutes ago, froggie said:

Whilst anything calling itself a committee is rarely fit for anything but ridicule, not using daylight hours in early season midweek and continuing with the utterly pointless sectional cup shows that old duffers haven't a clue. Pointing out that the weather can make a nonsense of fixture planning and getting ahead of the game by playing as many games pre November would also be wasted on those who think forward planning means ten days maximum and think early season drama means mismatches in a joke competition on pitches that could well be a bog, once they get around to scheduling the proper stuff...sigh.

The only people who can make decisions on sectional cups are the clubs themselves as they are the people responsible and not the members of the Management Committee.

24 minutes ago, froggie said:

This needs to be picked up on . The sectional league cup is not as you say ' utterly pointless' . Sure some clubs don't take it seriously till they get to the knock out stages but my own club showed if you embrace this even just a bit you can enjoy it and it can be the cataylst for a good season. We enjoyed our group this season and the knockout stages which attracted decent mid week crowds against good opposition. Was about 700 at the final and 80 or 90 per cent of the crowd were rob roy. Meant the world to ourselves as it would most clubs in the central maybe bar one or two. No idea what you are getting at with joke of competition and mismatches or pitches being 'bogs' . In the junior grade we need a district cup competition in what form it takes that is the main issue.

6 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Why?

Because it gives clubs lower down the pecking order a better chance to possibly win a trophy as has happened in recent years in the district central level. It also means if you get put out early doors in the scottish and or west or you find yourself mid table with little to play for  you still have another cup competition to look forward to. No need for me to go from 4 cup competitions to 2 . 3 is a good happy medium IMO and i will stick by that opinion.

Maybe i should of said central district level . Probably wouldn't happen but i think the central club should have a vote and see what the vote tells us as should the ayrshire have a vote and go with what the majority want.

It's a waste of time. In the East we got rid of it when we restructured (league cup sections) and I've yet to meet anyone who misses it. It's glorified friendlies when you should be playing league games.

A knock out cup for lower or regional divisions is a decent idea though.

8 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

It's a waste of time. In the East we got rid of it when we restructured (league cup sections) and I've yet to meet anyone who misses it. It's glorified friendlies when you should be playing league games.

A knock out cup for lower or regional divisions is a decent idea though.

Well we are a premier league club and i'm as certain as certain can be that the majority of our fans and committee think a fair bit about the district cup competitions especially this season when our league is full of ayrshire teams.

It's the sweeping statements i don't like people labeling something utterly pointless or like yourself a waste of time  . I simply don't agree with that and think a decent percentage of people in the district my club are from will feel the same. All my opinion which won't change :)

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

You've just won it so you don't look at it objectively. Understandable, but League Cup sectional competitions waste early season fixture dates especially if leagues are being expanded to 16.

We hadn't won it for 40 odd years and every year we played in it we were keen to win it as it showed when we played many quarter finals and semi finals where we drew decent crowds.

I agree if we go to a 16 team league one of them should drop but still like the idea of having one district cup all about finding the best way to implement it.

Archived