West Region restructure proposal.

The Ilford Drummer

4 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Of course you were, everything else was secondary emoji23.png

Obviously not but it wasn't treated with contempt  most of the games we played in were exciting and full of players giving it there all.It has a place it just needs to be done sensibly and if as i said a 16 team league goes through limit the district cups to 1 that's sensible for me.

Does the east region not still have one district cup ?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obviously not but it wasn't treated with contempt  most of the games we played in were exciting and full of players giving it there all.It has a place it just needs to be done sensibly and if as i said a 16 team league limited to 1 district level cup not the 2 that's sensible to me.

Trust me, you can't have 16 teams leagues and 30 game seasons with a sectional league cup as well. You'll be upto your necks in fixture backlogs.

The East Region is a live example.

Just now, Burnie_man said:

Trust me, you can't have 16 teams leagues and 30 game seasons with a sectional league cup as well. You'll be upto your necks in fixture backlogs.

The East Region is a live example.

I'm not saying keep the sectional if we have 16 team leagues i'm saying keep one district cup not do away with all of them. I was also responding to the guy who said it was totally pointless now in it's current form and i told him why i disagreed with that.

I'm not saying keep the sectional if we have 16 team leagues i'm saying keep one district cup not do away with all of them. I was also responding to the guy who said it was totally pointless now in it's current form and i told him why i disagreed with that.

As I said above, I broadly agree, on a knockout basis.

I think there's two separate issues here.League reconstruction and revamping the cups.Personally I think there's a place for the sectional cup.If as suggested they go to two districts of 32,the sectional could be cut down to 8 groups of 4,three fixtures each played over one week,the quarters the following midweek,semis later in the season at a neutral venue under the lights,,final the same.League reconstruction I think is something that shouldn't be rushed.Im not a fan of a 16 top team league.Looking back a couple of season ago you had Camelon then Linlithgow the following season playing three games a week for six weeks because of good cup runs.Personally the I think the 26 games a 14 team top league is plenty.Possibly the bottom end is the biggest problem,the old Denny to Dalmellington argument being a massive factor.

I'm pretty sure that if the 4x16 divisional structure is voted in, those in favour would like to see the 12 months between the AGM and implementation used for a detailed consultation over how the additional fixtures will be accommodated. This would necessarily include a thorough review of the number and format of cup competitions and involve all interested parties.

9 minutes ago, PRICEY said:

I think there's two separate issues here.League reconstruction and revamping the cups.Personally I think there's a place for the sectional cup.If as suggested they go to two districts of 32,the sectional could be cut down to 8 groups of 4,three fixtures each played over one week,the quarters the following midweek,semis later in the season at a neutral venue under the lights,,final the same.League reconstruction I think is something that shouldn't be rushed.Im not a fan of a 16 top team league.Looking back a couple of season ago you had Camelon then Linlithgow the following season playing three games a week for six weeks because of good cup runs.Personally the I think the 26 games a 14 team top league is plenty.Possibly the bottom end is the biggest problem,the old Denny to Dalmellington argument being a massive factor.

Get up to date please, two districts of 32 clubs is NOT part of the reconstruction motion. It was part of an early draft proposal from one club which was dropped at an early stage.

The objections regarding fixture congestion and travelling are also capable of being addressed, either because they can be shown to be not as much of an issue as people imagine, or accommodations can be made to mitigate them.

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP!

With the West Region AGM coming up in just over a month's time (28th June I believe) can we focus discussions about these proposals on THIS thread instead of randomly tacking them onto other random threads?

Or is that too much to expect? :unsure:

45 minutes ago, Juniorfootball123 said:

So if new proposal is agreed, does that mean league cup at start of season is scrapped and 4 go up from the Super First etc? 

It means next season will still have all the same competitions as this one, however yes there will be 4 teams automatically promoted from the Super 1st Division and no relegation from the Super Leagues. Three teams will also be promoted from each District League to make up the 16 teams in the new 2nd tier league, whatever they call it.

(Please don't let them be called Super League, Championship, League 1 and League 2, that's just so unimaginative and stupid !)

With regard to the cup competitions, if the proposal is voted through there will be a year to discuss and make proposals regarding the way forward for the cup competitions from season 2018-19 onwards, to be voted on at the 2018 AGM for immediate implementation.

That makes perfect sense to me, hope it does to those voting.

If it were 4 leagues of 16 that means each team playing 30 league games which would be good so I would scrap the central league cup and the sectional cup you play at the start of the season,keep the west the Scottish and evening times

It means next season will still have all the same competitions as this one, however yes there will be 4 teams automatically promoted from the Super 1st Division and no relegation from the Super Leagues. Three teams will also be promoted from each District League to make up the 16 teams in the new 2nd tier league, whatever they call it.
(Please don't let them be called Super League, Championship, League 1 and League 2, that's just so unimaginative and stupid !)
With regard to the cup competitions, if the proposal is voted through there will be a year to discuss and make proposals regarding the way forward for the cup competitions from season 2018-19 onwards, to be voted on at the 2018 AGM for immediate implementation.
That makes perfect sense to me, hope it does to those voting.

It might be unimaginative, but at least consistent with what the two senior leagues in the U.K. Are called, so a neutral looking in would have an understanding of what level within junior leagues teams play at. Which is certainly not the case just now in both east and west.

Just now, superpollok said:

It might be unimaginative, but at least consistent with what the two senior leagues in the U.K. Are called, so a neutral looking in would have an understanding of what level within junior leagues teams play at. Which is certainly not the case just now in both east and west.

I just think it's stupid having the 2nd tier league called the "championship". That was introduced in England because it was the top league run by the English Football League, whereas the Premier League was run by the Premier League itself. That's not the case in Scotland, all the league are under the SPFL banner, but they just copied the names of the English league because they thought it was trendy.

Not for me.

West Premier League, West Division One, West Division Two and West Division Three please.

1 hour ago, Juniorfootball123 said:

So if new proposal is agreed, does that mean league cup at start of season is scrapped and 4 go up from the Super First etc? 

Nothing changes till the start of season 2018-19

29 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Proposal is for the top division to be called the Premiership, etc in line with SPFL. Unless someone has already tabled an amendment, that can't be changed this year, but it could at NEXT year's AGM if someone proposes so.

35 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I just think it's stupid having the 2nd tier league called the "championship". That was introduced in England because it was the top league run by the English Football League, whereas the Premier League was run by the Premier League itself. That's not the case in Scotland, all the league are under the SPFL banner, but they just copied the names of the English league because they thought it was trendy.

Not for me.

West Premier League, West Division One, West Division Two and West Division Three please.

football in general seems to be hell bent on moving away from normal naming conventions, but I'm completely in agreement with you about this. 

in the less glamorous grades we inhabit these attempts to give leagues fantastical names just come across as daft, and at the end of the day we'll all still be calling it by the anachronistic tag of "Junior" Football. 

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

Not for me.

Well TBH that was my preference too but the Premiership, Championship etc nomenclature wasn't picked up and objected to when the proposal went out for consultation OR at last month's West Region GM. So what if it has to stay in for the AGM vote - like I said it'll be easy enough to change it before it comes into force.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Does that mean the 'Superleague' / 'Super' branding is being done away with - unlike the other 2 regions? Or are you meaning it'll be Super Premiership, Super Championship, Super L1 etc.

The proposed new League Rules state:

1.       The West Region Premiership will consist of 16 clubs

2.       The West Region Championship will consist of 16 clubs

3.       The West Region League One will consist of 16 clubs

4.       There shall be a West Region League Two consisting of all remaining clubs

The proposed new League Rules state:
1.       The West Region Premiership will consist of 16 clubs
2.       The West Region Championship will consist of 16 clubs
3.       The West Region League One will consist of 16 clubs
4.       There shall be a West Region League Two consisting of all remaining clubs

Makes sense & simplifies things.

Archived