Quadrangular Tournament 2017

Burnie_man

18 hours ago, Dipple burn said:

Scotland games have always been well attended in Ayrshire and most of the big clubs have a Social club so the blazers wouldn't miss out on a freebie!

Forget about where and when it's held, the blazers being treated is the most important thing.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would love to see a Scotland game at Kelty. The new facilities at the park are ready that's for sure... in my 40 years involved I don't think there has been an international junior game in Fife.... I'm sure it would be well supported especially if there are Fife/ East Region boys in the squad ... 

You're wanting the SJFA to hold Junior international matches at an East of Scotland ground?? They should try Saughton Enclosure or Warner Park, Eyemouth then!!
Kelty is no longer a Junior ground. No junior internationals!

9 minutes ago, Ali_Wee_Jag said:

You're wanting the SJFA to hold Junior international matches at an East of Scotland ground?? They should try Saughton Enclosure or Warner Park, Eyemouth then!!

Bathgate, Linlithgow, Hill of Beath, Sauchie?? 

The Scottish junior cup final is held at a senior ground every single year.

Venues for previous tournaments held in Scotland

1995: Petershill, Maryhill, Pollok

1999: Arthurlie, Maryhill, Pollok

2005: Arthurlie, Petershill, St.Anthonys

You get the idea. Disgraceful if they again hold it again in Glasgow.

21 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Last international in the East Scotland v RO Ireland at Boness in Oct 1993?

Looks like it was a 1999 trial match against a Partick Thistle XI at Linlithgow, so just the 18 years.........

Since the Quadrangular Tournament began in 1994 there have been 6 Scotland Junior internationals in Glasgow, 1 in Barrhead - also 1 friendly in Glasgow.

Since WWII the figures for internationals are:

24 - Glasgow

10 - Ayrshire (3 - Irvine; 2 - Ayr, Cumnock, Kilmarnock; 1 - Auchinleck)

7 - West Lothian (4 - Linlithgow; 3 - Bo'ness)

5 - Edinburgh

3 - Dundee
  3 - Fife (3 - Glenrothes)
  3 - Lanarkshire (1 - Carluke, Motherwell, Shotts)
  2 - Dunbartonshire (1 - Cumbernauld, Kirkintilloch)
  2 - Renfrewshire (1 - Barrhead,  Renfrew)
  1 - Aberdeen
  1 - Stirlingshire (1 - Falkirk)

• 1 month later...
On 20/06/2017 at 21:51, gogsy said:

Last international in the East Scotland v RO Ireland at Boness in Oct 1993?

Apparently so, and due to stay that way as the GJFA are holding this in Glasgow again.  14/15 October, West Region games cancelled.

1 minute ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Camelon played junior scotland in a a match and it was after 1999

Aye, there's been a few trial matches by the looks of it, but the last proper "International" held in the East Region was 1993 according to Goggsy, and I've not seen anything to disprove that.

24 years, shocking.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Apparently so, and due to stay that way as the GJFA are holding this in Glasgow again.  14/15 October, West Region games cancelled.

That Saturday is R2 of the Big Scottish.

Glenafton ought to win through from the Preliminaries. With a favourable draw in R1 they could well be participating in R2.

So would none of their players get selected for the Quadrangular, weakening the national side and there potentially be the competing attraction of their Scottish Cup game distracting from the Internationals; or would the SJFA insist on call ups from Glenafton regardless. It would be interesting to see whether or not the SFA would recognize postponement of a Scottish Cup tie ""due to international call-ups" if they're 'only' for Junior international level. It would be unfair on Glenafton to make them fulfil the tie with their best players absent. 

9 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Seems a bit precipitate to cancel the whole card for what after all is a novelty tournament - I doubt anyone outside the top divisions will be selected after all. We were down to play away at Larkhall that day, and I'd rather have got that played...with all due respect I'd be surprised if either team would be missing players.

Even if some lower league grounds are bring used, I'd have thought it would have been better to cancel games on a case-by-case basis, as going by the last time it was held it's not a huge draw. Fans will show up from the teams providing players, but the non-Scotland games are usually empty. We hosted NI v IoM last time...few dozen there tops.

And blame the suits for it being held in Glasgow again. It's not like the clubs have been lobbying for it; it's hardly Euro 2020.

Seems a bit precipitate to cancel the whole card for what after all is a novelty tournament - I doubt anyone outside the top divisions will be selected after all. We were down to play away at Larkhall that day, and I'd rather have got that played...with all due respect I'd be surprised if either team would be missing players.
Even if some lower league grounds are bring used, I'd have thought it would have been better to cancel games on a case-by-case basis, as going by the last time it was held it's not a huge draw. Fans will show up from the teams providing players, but the non-Scotland games are usually empty. We hosted NI v IoM last time...few dozen there tops.
And blame the suits for it being held in Glasgow again. It's not like the clubs have been lobbying for it; it's hardly Euro 2020.

They cancel games in order to attract a crowd. Used to be the same with Junior Cup semi-finals, all games in a 50 mile radius were cancelled.

That Saturday is R2 of the Big Scottish.
Glenafton ought to win through from the Preliminaries. With a favourable draw in R1 they could well be participating in R2.
So would none of their players get selected for the Quadrangular, weakening the national side and there potentially be the competing attraction of their Scottish Cup game distracting from the Internationals; or would the SJFA insist on call ups from Glenafton regardless. It would be interesting to see whether or not the SFA would recognize postponement of a Scottish Cup tie ""due to international call-ups" if they're 'only' for Junior international level. It would be unfair on Glenafton to make them fulfil the tie with their best players absent. 

I very much doubt they would select players from any clubs involved in the Scottish Cup.

Archived