East Region Superleague....

watchful eye

I mention broxburn and penicuik as they have floodlights and these games could have been played midweek in march or early april. I appreciate not every team has them but those that do could use them.

Exactly this. If clubs have floodlights then they should be given midweek games in late autumn and March/April time. Also, for those teams without floodlights, a couple of midweek fixtures in August whilst it's still sunny until about 9pm needs to be considered.

I may be wrong here, but it seems like on average, it's probably fair to say that most teams home or away, suffer from maybe 2 or 3 games a season (or 10 in Camelon's case) being postponed between November & February.

The thing is though, using the summer nights and grounds with floodlights midweek at the right times of the season is a very simple solution which is easily implemented to stop the ridiculous fixture congestion at the end of the season year after year. The scheduling of fixtures has now become a long-running joke in the East Juniors and it's about time the dinosaurs running the game stepped up and used the options available to them. The dinosaurs also forget that probably 99% of the players in the Juniors will be at their work during the day and playing Monday and Wednesday at the end of the season with 6:30 kick offs might result in several guys being unable to make games, takes its toll on the players who can make it, and generally just has a detrimental effect on attendances and the performances of clubs involved.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two good wins away from home for the top 2 teams today.

The Rose eating into the goal differential with an emphatic 6-0 win away at Broughty.

The Hearts needed to take the 3 points at Lithgie & stood up to the plate, well done!

Two good wins away from home for the top 2 teams today.
The Rose eating into the goal differential with an emphatic 6-0 win away at Broughty.
The Hearts needed to take the 3 points at Lithgie & stood up to the plate, well done!

Second half was all Kelty, Rose weren't in it. Some woeful defending by the Rose for Kelty's 2nd goal.

Watched the KHTV live stream till it went down around 38 mins 8 mile, TC had just hit the post with a header then missed a great chance he probably should have scored with shortly after.

Chuffed the boys managed to turn things round 2nd half.

Good luck to Forfar West End in the play off, hopefully another team from the Dundee area in the league next year. That will be Lochee United, Broughty Athletic, Jeanfield and FWE in the last couple of years, as well as Carnoustie. Things are looking better in Tayside now.

11 minutes ago, baker2 said:

Kelty were by far the better team and deserved the 3 points! Need to mention some of the kelty support today were a disgrace!

?????

Kelty were by far the better team and deserved the 3 points! Need to mention some of the kelty support today were a disgrace!

Why were they a disgrace? Heard some singing up and silly shouts up near the pie hut but nothing untoward. However, on the way back to the car some ugly, toothless, unwashed looking, ginger mutant with a Kelty scarf on nearly fell off the kerb in front of oncoming cars. Looked about forty-odds as well... [emoji102]

Just the usual drinking in the ground and one guy who could hardly walk spewing all over the place![emoji23]

Did the police get called because of them or were they already at the game? Was working this morning so only seen the 2nd half. I've been over to Kelty many times in recent seasons and have never seen any of those pissheads at a game.

7 hours ago, surely not! said:

Aye but aye but aye but floodlights.....

Aye but there's no floodlights......

This whole idea that floodlights are what makes a fixture list possible is unbelievable to hear from what I assume are full grown adults. There are always gonna be postponements and cups but it's when these games are scheduled that's key here.

It is not acceptable in this day and age to have teams playing Saturday, Monday Wednesday and based on the comments across this forum, the quality of play on display has been (understandably) way below the norm for the majority of these games.

It's not unbelievable, and I am a fully grown adult.

Tell you what, volunteer your services to the East Region and offer to help them with a full season fixture list. Then come back here at the end of next season and discuss how it went.

6 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Exactly this. If clubs have floodlights then they should be given midweek games in late autumn and March/April time. Also, for those teams without floodlights, a couple of midweek fixtures in August whilst it's still sunny until about 9pm needs to be considered.

I may be wrong here, but it seems like on average, it's probably fair to say that most teams home or away, suffer from maybe 2 or 3 games a season (or 10 in Camelon's case) being postponed between November & February.

The thing is though, using the summer nights and grounds with floodlights midweek at the right times of the season is a very simple solution which is easily implemented to stop the ridiculous fixture congestion at the end of the season year after year. The scheduling of fixtures has now become a long-running joke in the East Juniors and it's about time the dinosaurs running the game stepped up and used the options available to them. The dinosaurs also forget that probably 99% of the players in the Juniors will be at their work during the day and playing Monday and Wednesday at the end of the season with 6:30 kick offs might result in several guys being unable to make games, takes its toll on the players who can make it, and generally just has a detrimental effect on attendances and the performances of clubs involved.

I fully agree that clubs with floodlights should be able to use them in the darker months, although I would initially restrict this to cup ties, unless you are very behind in league fixtures.

Bonnyrigg had a hell of a schedule the last month or so but don't have lights, Linlithgow do (and are due to upgrade them). Rightly or wrongly you would without doubt get objections to the fact that if Linlithgow were behind in fixtures and were able to space them out and catch up in Feb, March and early April, whilst other clubs who don't have lights were faced with 3 games a week in April and May, you'd hear the howls of protest from here.

The fixtures secretary has to try and play fair by all clubs until such times as the majority have lights.  However, there's no reason why cup ties could not be played during the darker months midweek as a starter.

If you think other teams have an advantage by having lights then you should install them yourself.

It is not a problem for the league that teams who have invested in faculties gain from it.

They don't gain from it though because the fixtures men don't schedule games to make use of floodlights.

46 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

If you think other teams have an advantage by having lights then you should install them yourself.

It is not a problem for the league that teams who have invested in faculties gain from it.

I know many of us make fun of it on here, but it does only seem to be the Juniors - and specifically the East and West Juniors - where this notion of using floodlights being "unfair" still persists. Whether because the idea of playing under artificial light is frowned upon, or on the argument not everyone has them.

Not all clubs in LL, EOSL and SOSL have them - but their use is perfectly standard in those leagues, and many amateur leagues (where they're understandably fairly rare tbf).

Indeed discarding them or curtailing their use would now be regarded as bizarre.

In the West Juniors they even schedule midweek games at floodlit grounds with kickoffs using natural light :lol:!

Most perplexingly, no eyelids seem to have been batted in the Juniors at some clubs using plastic pitches while most have grass. Surely that's even more "unfair".

If as suggested above playing by artificial light is finally embraced it'll be welcome, helpful and long overdue, IMO.

Yes that's true just now, just saying should things change clubs with no lights shouldn't complain

That was my point. I don't think there'd be many people (if any) who would complain. I think most clubs and supporters would fully embrace having the opportunity to go watch matches under floodlights somewhere midweek a few times a season as opposed to having to travel Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, several weeks in a row come April/May. And if the fixtures men are smart enough in their scheduling, it might even boost attendances.

Archived