3 at the back?

Tartan Dave

Is this an option? I made a team up employing a 3-4-2-1 formation. Although it could be a 5-4-1 in defence. 

With martin as the right of a 3, that would hopefully allow anya some cover as he looked pretty shaky defensively before. It would also not take our best centre half away from centre half. Berra in to win headers with tierney alongside as his defensive work is pretty good. Also allows him and robertson in same team. The rest of the team, there's a few names you could play in each position, the ones I chose are just preference at this moment but Burke, armstrong, fletcher(s), forrest, griffiths etc could easily come in. Just an option, I'd be very surprised to see it implemented

IMG_6465.JPG

6 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I quite like the look of that actually.

Me too, which means it will never happen. Could easily have snodgrass/ritchie for cairney coming in and playing off striker or setting left winger free. Allows our more creative players freedom and sures up the defence a bit

2 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Me too, which means it will never happen. Could easily have snodgrass/ritchie for cairney coming in and playing off striker or setting left winger free. Allows our more creative players freedom and sures up the defence a bit

Got Burke, Forrest, Armstrong etc to bring on if we're struggling as well. But, agreed, can't see it happening.

In our current state in defence it could be worth trying even against Canada. After all, if it works then it's definitely something we could use in the future, if it fails then at least we tried it out. 

Continuing with centre back pairings out of Martin, Hanley and Berra is madness, it's shown in 2 campaigns that it isn't good enough and wont get us to a finals. However we don't have anyone better so the only option is sticking an extra body back there to plug the gaps. Been saying for a while we need to go 3 at the back, would also free up the full-backs slightly to be more of an attacking threat. 3 at the back with Fletcher and Brown in front would provide as solid a base as we can get.

37 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Have we ever changed from a 4-2-3-1 under Strachan? Even in games where he's had a very high pressing number 10, it's essentially been his usual crap.

Don't think so. Think he may have threw two out and out strikers on towards the end of matches but never a proper change of formation  

It's a case of him sticking to a formation regardless if he has the players at his disposal to play it.  A terrible trait in a manager.  You can't sign players to suit a formation in international football like you can in club football.  The players at your disposal must determine the formation.

Vs Canada:

Canada.jpg.087eac19521fe88486d81a70be063222.jpg

I realise Strachan has said he won't start any Celtic players who played on Sunday, but I think that's unneccesary.

Bring Anya, Forrest and McGinn on about half time. Give Rhodes and Fletcher 30 mins at the end.

Vs Slovenia:

Slovenia.jpg.032f107dadb3b28d3e0fd006e911db7f.jpg

Griffiths, Armstrong and Fraser as impact subs

I have been sceptical of Jordan Rhodes and the praise he receives but having watched him recently I think if we play 343 system and get good supply to him then he will score goals against opposition like Slovenia. He knows where to be in the box and gets on the end of things which is something we severely lack with great deliveries from the likes of Snodgrass and Ritchie. However our most dangerous striker is definitely Griffiths and although hes not played a lot recently I still think he could thrive for Scotland as he seems to have a point to prove right now. He is desperate to start against Canada and force his way in for sunday but listening to Strachan recently talk he wants a physical striker up top and the likes of martin and fletcher seem more likely to start.

If it is Martin or Fletcher as a lone striker against Canada then that really is the last flippin' straw.

What if that's how he lines up against the Slovenians is a game he states himself is a must win?

Well, hopefully if we try something else in the friendly then we can have a plan B or even C.

We need to be looking to get some strikers on the scoresheet against Canada and not just use them as a 'hold-up man' which is WGS's usual excuse.

Archived