Wetherspoons Saturday Licensing hours

Arch Stanton

Early drinking is only possible in two of the seven Glasgow branches of Wetherspoons :

The main one on George Square (Counting House) and the one facing the Radisson Hotel on Argyll Street (Sir John Moore) near the tunnel under the railway tracks at the end where there's the entrance to Glasgow Central Low Level station.

The other five all only open the bar at 11am on a Saturday (Camperdown Place outside Queen Street station, Society Rooms up West George Street, Crystal Palace on Jamaica Street, Edward G.Wylie up Boswell Street, and Hengler's Circus up the top of Sauchiehall Street).

For both the two who do open early, you have to have a breakfast (a plateful, not just a bacon roll), For every breakfast ordered, you are allowed two drinks. When there's early-KO football this leads to the ridiculous situation of loads of (unwanted) breakfasts having been ordered so the kitchen is swamped, so the delivery time is ages - longer than it takes to drink two pints. So by the time the waitress brings it out, the person has already supped-up and left.

Also it's two drinks, regardless of what they are. When they have their beer festivals on, they do three third-pints for the price of a pint, so that you can taste different ones. They wouldn't sell me three thirds with my breakfast, but they would sell me two pints !!

And neither will let you in with colours showing - there will be doorstaff.

MacKinnon's is a good bet for this.  It's about 15 minutes walk from central up at the trongate, and alcohol is served from 8am.  It's the kind of boozer that doesn't pay much mind to the daft breakfast drinking regulations.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

MacKinnon's is a good bet for this.  It's about 15 minutes walk from central up at the trongate, and alcohol is served from 8am.  It's the kind of boozer that doesn't pay much mind to the daft breakfast drinking regulations.

The people that drink in Mackinnons can longer tolerate solids.

Just now, tree house tam said:

I was in there on Friday. Rough clientele indeed. 

I'm sure the Whistling Kirk at The Green opens even earlier. When I went to some of The Commonwealth Games shite, it was the only pub around there not mobbed. It is a complete fucking midden right enough.

18 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I quite like rough pubs. I do not like smelly pubs. There's one round the back of the St Enoch centre that nearly had me spewing. Was like somebody had shat under every table.

Was it this quaint little fisherman's bar on the banks of the Clyde?

2017-03-20-19-52-15--350001912.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 21.3.2017 at 13:41, Ramagamma said:

If you are craving alcohol before 11am can i suggest you please see a doctor and get your life in order. Jesus.

Nothing says Scottish Cup away trip like a can of lager or cider to wash down your breakfast.