Printer Help

Romeo

Hello.

Romeo Junior is in the habit of putting his uni work in at the last minute so the usual method of me printing things for him at work is not working out. He has the option of printing stuff in the uni library but it can be as much as a quid per essay (only 3 or 4 pages) he also has other documents and stuff that he needs to print out occasionally.

I am aware that printers are often stupidly cheap but think ink refills are extortionate.

Any P&Bers got a printer? Would you recommend one? Are there printers with reasonably priced ink that mean I won't have to remortgage the house or have sex with east European truck drivers in a layby somewhere.

Links and the like would be useful.

Ta

I have had a basic Canon 3 in 1 printer for the last few years without any problems although it is used very sparingly. Think it was about £40 and proper replacement double ink pack is £25 from Wilko. I did try posting off empty inks in the past to some place who refilled but the quality was inferior and didn't bother again for the minimal saving.

35 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Hello.

Romeo Junior is in the habit of putting his uni work in at the last minute so the usual method of me printing things for him at work is not working out. He has the option of printing stuff in the uni library but it can be as much as a quid per essay (only 3 or 4 pages) he also has other documents and stuff that he needs to print out occasionally.

I am aware that printers are often stupidly cheap but think ink refills are extortionate.

Any P&Bers got a printer? Would you recommend one? Are there printers with reasonably priced ink that mean I won't have to remortgage the house or have sex with east European truck drivers in a layby somewhere.

Links and the like would be useful.

Ta

Unless he's printing scores of pages a day. and uses greyscale whenever possible, a quick hand job in a truck stop toilet should suffice. Similar to Jimmy I've had a HP 3 in 1 for ages and the ink cartridges have lasted around 2-3 years a pop, but I don't print that often.

Thing is, multi function printers for home use not only will do your printing for you, but allow photocopying, scanning and fax (if anyone still uses that!).  These are remarkably useful functions which no home should be without.  Nice to have but non essential extras to look for are a sheet feeder to save copying a multi page document one sheet at a time and a duplexer which allows you to print/copy on both sides of the paper.  You will get such a device from about £60 but check for a review online of anything you are thinking about to see the ongoing costs.  Trusted reviews is a good site for this.

I have a large HP printer in my home office which costs around £300 for a complete set of cartridges but that gets me about 8-10,000 pages.  I also have a canon printer for photo printing which has all the same functions is much slower and has tiny cartridges that get about 500 sheets.  On the other hand it costs about £30 in compatible cartridges to refill.

Archived