Brechin Vs Alloa

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have said Longworth's done alright for us. He's mainly come on late to close games out, and does a reasonable job. Hard to know exactly how good he is without seeing him get a run of starts, but there's certainly no need for that, considering how well our first choice attacking players have been doing.

I know it doesn't mean much, but how's he looked in the Development League?

13 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'd have said Longworth's done alright for us. He's mainly come on late to close games out, and does a reasonable job. Hard to know exactly how good he is without seeing him get a run of starts, but there's certainly no need for that, considering how well our first choice attacking players have been doing.

I know it doesn't mean much, but how's he looked in the Development League?

Don't recall him playing at all in Development League.

2 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Don't recall him playing at all in Development League.

Presumably means the boss(es) don't think he needs the extra run out. Good sign, I'd have thought.

Yeah, a lot less first team players playing development games this season. Seem to remember more playing last season. Was a regular occurrence for the likes of Reintam. Even in previous seasons we've used it a bit more with Spence, Hetherington etc. playing there. Good to see how it's worked for those two in particular!

Bit off topic but interesting in a way.

1 hour ago, Craig said:

My point was why did Jammer not have other offers (apart from EK).

I was under the impression he did have other offers, at least four, including a renewal of contract at Stranraer (League One), but chose EK for the aforementioned personal reasons. However Alloa, having just had a few reasonably successful seasons for a part-time Scottish club, were simply an offer too good to refuse at his stage of his career and had he not taken it would perhaps one day rue a good chance missed before his footballing retirement.

It would be no surprise to me if Longworth joined EK in the next year or two anyway, especially if they become a club playing in the professional leagues, an increasingly likely prospect. Plus, to re-iterate someone's previous point, EK are a junior club (amongst many) who could probably offer better terms contract-wise than most League One and League Two sides.

Were you at the game last night? Stevie ran the show.

Hetherington is a cracking player. He can do things Holmes can't and vice versa. Jon Robertson is as good as either of them IMO, but again different from both.

I think Jim G's toughest call each week must be which one (or two) of these three does he leave out.

I also think Stevie could move on to a higher level potentially if he continues to improve. He already has the basics, including pace and strength.

Just now, whereismillar said:

Is your Avatar vibrating or are me old eyes finally F%$£ed

It's not you - @Mon Dieu uploaded it after a certain Petrofac Cup game a few seasons back, and I pinched it for myself  :P

I think that Longworth was unlucky with the timing of his broken hand/wrist as he looked as if he was settling into the team and would be a worthy partner for Spence. He's a clever footballer and a welcome addition to the squad.

Someone sat beside me on Saturday said they would offer pretty much the whole squad contracts for next season regardless of what league we are in and I agree. It speaks volumes about the strength of our squad and credit to Goodwin for strengthening it further. I'll hold my hands up and admit that Goodwin has won me over. I was rather critical of him at first but since he has stopped playing there has been a massive difference in things.

I'm now looking forward to the TV scaffolding in the playoff final.

I think Jack Ross is due some credit at least for the improved strength in depth too as I suspect the money came from the League Cup. Not only did we get out the group we got through a further round and ended up at Parkhead. I'd give Jack a lot of credit for Stevie Hetherington too. It was under Ross - after initially looking to ship him out - that Stevie began to make a real impact at Alloa. 

Jim Goodwin has carried that on. I still don't agree with all of Jim's selections and subs but he clearly has the players playing for him and that's crucial. Looks to have settled into his role now and we are in decent shape at this stage for the run in. Very unfortunate that we had to go through the upheaval of a managerial change because otherwise I think the league title was there for us.

10 hours ago, BigMartyn86 said:

I'm now looking forward to the TV scaffolding in the playoff final.

Looking a bit off colour. Must be the height.scaffold.thumb.jpg.e0a8600e2940eeda27a092e9b587bf8b.jpg

Archived