Brechin Vs Alloa

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, hedgeman83 said:

To be fair didn't think the ref was that bad. As said we weren't at our best tonight few tired looking players out there alloa deserved the win I think. Think putting Caldwell on was the wrong move he offered nothing maybe should have been Trouten for Ally

Yeah have to agree with you there. Caldwell should have stayed suited up . Trouts would have been the better option. I thought it was an entertaining game and a bit gutted that we conceded so late . However on to the Fife now.

4 minutes ago, theycallmetrinity said:

Citydiehard lives in Brechin and goes to Brechin games. I would say he's originally from south of Stirling and turn left at Cumberland

Would that stop them hanging out ? They maybe had their tea at the Ashvale before heading up to the Glebe.

To be fair the ref was quite poor.

Wasnt the best of games, didnt think we were at our best tonight either but thats what its all about at the end of the day grinding out results.

Didnt think brechin offered a great deal for us to worry about, 3 points sealed as soon as caldwell came on, he was garbage for us and he still is.

Well done to jim & the team once again.

That was dire again,clueless Dodds.Alloa were the better side and deserved the win.Just wish people would stop blaming the standard of referees for our defeat as its the same for every team in the league.And an empty Glebe at every game speaks volumes of what the people of Brechin think of the standard of football Dodds has us playing .Time for a change to get them back.

46 minutes ago, citydiehard said:

That was dire again,clueless Dodds.Alloa were the better side and deserved the win.Just wish people would stop blaming the standard of referees for our defeat as its the same for every team in the league.And an empty Glebe at every game speaks volumes of what the people of Brechin think of the standard of football Dodds has us playing .Time for a change to get them back.

Does that mean you're going to f**k off and make the atmosphere a bit less poisonous? Your continual bile on here doesn't help anything apart from maybe making your sad little life a little better :rolleyes:

I think one difference last night Alloa were able to bring on players that could improve improve things we just fill holes when we make subs

It's the big improvement Jim Goodwin has made to the squad

He was able to rest three of our best player last night (Spence, Holmes, Flannigan) but not weaken the side. We also had Marr and Longworth on the bench and they would start for most teams in the league IMO.

Not made many games recently, this season in fact, but was able to make this one. I wish I could say nothing beats a cold Tuesday night away from home with an injury-time winner but it was done in typical Alloa style and my toes were still defrosting by the time we'd passed through Dundee on the way home.

Quite a lot of cars in the Glebe Park car park and surrounds last night and when I checked the time before the teams came out there were what looked like about 60 folk in the ground, and it was 19:47! Late kick-off, hardly anyone in, and I still managed to finish nearly 2000 numbers away from the winning 50-50 ticket in a crowd of 372, or whatever it was.

Beforehand, I'd heard that Goodwin had shouted instructions from the sidelines to Greig Spence during the East Fife game on Saturday which Greig had found to be undoable and had taken a bit personally. He was then subbed by Goodwin less than 5 minutes later and had words after he came off, although I don't think they were arguing, more of Goodwin actually doing a bit of sensible man-management. However, this may have had a say in whether Spence started last night, Goodwin showing who's boss regardless of whether that means dropping his top goalscorer. I also mentioned to someone before the game that the conditions were perfect for Hetherington to be booked tonight, and was duly proved correct in the first half (albeit for simulation rather than a mis-timed tackle) 8)

On the subject of the referee, I also thought he had a poor game. There were two instances inside 30 seconds in the second half when Alloa were given a free-kick and the referee indicated the use of an elbow, no card awarded much to the ire of a few Alloa supporters. The free kick broke down and Brechin looked like they were breaking away when Flannigan pulled the shirt of the player with the ball, and was booked (correctly I may add). Both sides had what I believe to be justified gripes against him but the arguable decisions made I didn't think included any game-changing effect. Unfortunately it's something us lower league supporters have not only got to put up with, but are now accustomed to. The flip-side to that coin though is that they make for some interesting comments from the sidelines to officials, players and opposition supporters and at a game like last night with the volume of support there, everyone (players included) hear everything :lol: 

As for the game, it was quite an exciting end to end affair (after the Brechin-dominated first fifteen minutes anyway). Was glad to see the teamsheet beforehand and see Trouten was a sub, always a thorn in Alloa's side but Brechin still had a couple of half-chances in the first half which went just wide. Alloa had a great chance to get the opener about ten minutes before half time. What looked like could've been a penalty was waved on as the ball broke to Kirkpatrick with just the keeper to beat. He went for the opposite top corner when along the ground inside the near post looked simpler. Still a good save by the keeper but a glorious chance missed. We then got the opener right on half-time and should've made it two right after half-time with two brilliant chances, one of which was cleared off the line. Brechin were never out of it though and you just got the feeling we'd rue not killing the game off and Brechin duly obliged with a goalmouth scrambled equaliser from a corner. They did have a good chance just before the corner but we just didn't seem to learn the lesson. As has been mentioned, Goodwin brought on players who you felt could make a difference although Longworth and Flannigan made a far greater difference than Spence did to be fair. Even after scoring in injury-time to go in front, Alloa still contrived to give away a free-kick and a corner in the dying moments (remember that typical Alloa comment from earlier :( ) but thankfully we held on.

Last night's result probably confirms at least a play-off place for us and a three-way fight for the other two play-off spaces, although I'm sure one or two other teams will keep going to chase any slip-ups. I quite like the way Goodwin went about it last night. If we've got any chance of catching Livingston (albeit unlikely) then draws are no use and he changed things and went for the win as soon as the equaliser went in and it paid off.

Jim isn't afraid to make big calls or put his neck on the line and more often than not its paid off.

His biggest call so far has to be signing Mckeown and dropping Marr. It was right in the midst of our ropey spell and few folk were questioning Jim's managerial abilities already at that point. I remember quite a few folk were miffed by his decision to drop Marr, but since doing so we've been unbeaten in the league I think? And looked solid defensively and that's with our back up goalkeeper in goals most games. This is in no way a dig at Marr who has been a fantastic servant for us and should the time come either Graham or Mckeown is injured or suspended he'll come back in and do a job for us I'm sure of it. He's been in similar situations before and fought his way back in. Again reiterates what's been said about Jim adding to his squad and having such strength in depth.

Also in the past few weeks Taggart has been outstanding. He was brilliant last night. Special mention to Mackin last night who handled himself really well against 2 big strong centre halfs and was unlucky not to score.

Andy Graham as well. Wow! For those of you not there his goal never came from a set piece. He started a move from his own half and sprinted the length of the field in the 91st minute to get into the brechin box to capitalise on the keepers blunder. Some man! Player of the year for me.

Jim isn't afraid to make big calls or put his neck on the line and more often than not its paid off.

His biggest call so far has to be signing Mckeown and dropping Marr. It was right in the midst of our ropey spell and few folk were questioning Jim's managerial abilities already at that point. I remember quite a few folk were miffed by his decision to drop Marr, but since doing so we've been unbeaten in the league I think? And looked solid defensively and that's with our back up goalkeeper in goals most games. This is in no way a dig at Marr who has been a fantastic servant for us and should the time come either Graham or Mckeown is injured or suspended he'll come back in and do a job for us I'm sure of it. He's been in similar situations before and fought his way back in. Again reiterates what's been said about Jim adding to his squad and having such strength in depth.

Also in the past few weeks Taggart has been outstanding. He was brilliant last night. Special mention to Mackin last night who handled himself really well against 2 big strong centre halfs and was unlucky not to score.

Andy Graham as well. Wow! For those of you not there his goal never came from a set piece. He started a move from his own half and sprinted the length of the field in the 91st minute to get into the brechin box to capitalise on the keepers blunder. Some man! Player of the year for me.

Have to agree with your comments about mckeown, we've been solid since he came in, but like you rightly say its in no way a dig at jason, he just has to remain professional and his chance will come again.

Taggs has been fantastic of late also, wasn't overly convinced by him but hes proved me wrong.

Where was trouten last night come to think of it???

Couldn't make the game last night, pity it sounded like a cracker.

Jim Goodwin has to be given great credit for managing to get us back on track after a couple of really poor results in December and January. Five wins and three draws in the last eight games is excellent form and hopefully will continue on Saturday.

Archived