What would you show a non-wrestling fan?

loyal-blue

Just a bit of fun, if you were trying to get someone in to wrestling, what three things would you show them?

It could either be an individual match, or perhaps a particular storyline that ran over the course of a few weeks.

If you know them, maybe post dates/shows for these things as that might be helpful for those who haven't seen your choices to catch them on the Network.

37 minutes ago, loyal-blue said:

Just a bit of fun, if you were trying to get someone in to wrestling, what three things would you show them?

It could either be an individual match, or perhaps a particular storyline that ran over the course of a few weeks.

If you know them, maybe post dates/shows for these things as that might be helpful for those who haven't seen your choices to catch them on the Network.

I would show the following:

Wrestlemania 30 (was a great show and the stadium size, crowd etc should excite anyone)

Some of the monday night war on the network.(shows a bit about how it all comes together back stage, although if I was a brand new wrestling fan I'd maybe want to avoid learning too much as it takes away some of the magic)

CM Punk documentary (I picked this as it gives you an insight into a wrestler, and one who openly admits he can be a dick.  Its not been "WWE'd" too much either.

I'd probably go for any stunt fest type match. For the most part a non fan won't give a slightest f**k about anything you might show them but a flippy match might at least draw appreciation for how agile the people are.

I'd probably go for any stunt fest type match. For the most part a non fan won't give a slightest f**k about anything you might show them but a flippy match might at least draw appreciation for how agile the people are.

I would go about a million miles in the other direction to be honest.

Of course I don't include HIAC KOTR 98 in this as this would be a good choice for someone new but it must be showing it's age a bit now.

WrestleMania 17 in its entirety. It just had everything I enjoy about wrestling in it and I never tire of watching it. The chaos of TLC 2/Hardcore Match, great wrestling in Angle/Benoit & Regal/Jericho + Rock Austin and its ending. The gimmick battle royal was a lot of fun as well and something I wish they'd bring back. 

It was a great spectacle, in a great venue with a good crowd. The peak of WWF's popularity.

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

WrestleMania 17 in its entirety. It just had everything I enjoy about wrestling in it and I never tire of watching it. The chaos of TLC 2/Hardcore Match, great wrestling in Angle/       & Regal/Jericho + Rock Austin and its ending. The gimmick battle royal was a lot of fun as well and something I wish they'd bring back. 

It was a great spectacle, in a great venue with a good crowd. The peak of WWF's popularity.

FTFY

Guest bernardblack
WrestleMania 17 in its entirety. It just had everything I enjoy about wrestling in it and I never tire of watching it. The chaos of TLC 2/Hardcore Match, great wrestling in Angle/Benoit & Regal/Jericho + Rock Austin and its ending. The gimmick battle royal was a lot of fun as well and something I wish they'd bring back. 

The latest whatculture video starts with a debate on what people call the show.

Honestly had no idea that people actually call it Wrestlemania X Seven, instead of just 17

2 hours ago, bernardblack said:

The latest whatculture video starts with a debate on what people call the show.

Honestly had no idea that people actually call it Wrestlemania X Seven, instead of just 17

It's clearly 17. Pretty sure he's referred to X Eight as well.

Anyway;

1. Mae Young giving birth to a hand

2. Katie Vick

3. Claire Lynch

Cos as Randy says, non fans will just come out with the usual laughable stuff about how it's all fake, how the ring is a trampoline, how none of it hurts, how the chairs are tin foil, fake blood, how they aren't touching each other etc etc.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's clearly 17. Pretty sure he's referred to X Eight as well.

Anyway;

1. Mae Young giving birth to a hand

2. Katie Vick

3. Claire Lynch

Cos as Randy says, non fans will just come out with the usual laughable stuff about how it's all fake, how the ring is a trampoline, how none of it hurts, how the chairs are tin foil, fake blood, how they aren't touching each other etc etc.

Don't forget Mickie James being hit by a train.

I showed my flatmates of last year the TLC where Edge spears Hardy off the ladder, Vince McMahon vs Shane when Linda rises from the chair and Raven, Kane and Big Show Hardcore Championship match. They fair enjoyed it.

16 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I showed my flatmates of last year the TLC where Edge spears Hardy off the ladder, Vince McMahon vs Shane when Linda rises from the chair and Raven, Kane and Big Show Hardcore Championship match. They fair enjoyed it.

You don't really need the whole match, just the golf kart section, which is absolute comedy gold.

It depends how big you can go with each bit.  Do whole storylines count?  If so...

1. The entire Daniel Bryan story.  Obviously not every single match, but starting from him getting jobbed out to Sheamus, then whistle-stop tour up to him winning at Summerslam and getting screwed.  Then on through Wrestlemania.  Then put on the WWE 24 documentary after it and have a good greet.
  2. The CWC.  Still think this is the best they've ever done, and should appeal to even the most "it's pure fake" people.  Probably the closest you'll get to an actual competition, even though it's still scripted, and there's some properly brutal matches in there.  Then tell them that after the final, every Cruiserweight died on the way back to their home planet and definitely didn't go onto RAW afterwards.  Nope.
  3. Probably WM17.  Gives a good window into the attitude era and just how different thing were back then.

Wrestlemania 17 purely for a history lesson In what was WWF's greatest ever PPV IMO, was amazing. Wrestlemania 30 or 31 for today's production, they were both excellent tbf.

I'd pick 5 of my favourite match stipulations on the network.

MITB match
Elimination chamber match
HIAC match
Hardcore match
TLC match

Trouble is, if you're sitting someone down to try and explain to them how enjoyable wrestling can be, even a PPV - no matter how good it is - will have a lot of filler and say for a Wrestlemania, the main event is 3.5 hours in. 

Personally, I'd go with HHH vs Cactus Jack Street Fight at the Royal Rumble (which also happens to me my favourite match ever). The promo to whet your appetite was brilliant. The match itself wasn't the same old "Face vs Heel" but more like "Cheat vs Psychopath". The brutal bits were well done (despite them switching out Barbie), the run-in from the Rock was completely unexpected, Stephanie actually looked like a concerned wife, and the kick out from the first pedigree was a real shock - before kicking out at PPV's became de rigueur. Fantastic stuff. 

It was the match that got me back into wrestling from when I was a kid (it randomly appeared on Channel 4 live one evening) so it might persuade others. 

And here it is!

Archived