Rovers v QoS

It's my pet hate with going to watch us, feels like we concede about 10 a season whilst scoring 1, maybe 2 of we're lucky. Over the last few years I can recall Sloan against Brechin (THATS NIVIR TEN YAIRDS) and Conroy with a wind assisted howitzer v Cowden at Central. Must be more than two..?

Sloan against Dundee too and Conroy against The Rangers at Ibrox.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible game, hellish journey, lovely weather. A point apiece was probably a fair result in a game with little flair on show, Dobbie's free kick the exception.

Very little football played on the deck. I think someone mentioned it earlier about a game of head tennis. Why don't players shout to let a teammate know when he has time to bring the ball down instead of heading it. Pity help these players if the link between dementia and heading a football is proved.

As for the main talking points, Yogi is conceding that the ball crossed the line for Dobbie's goal, end of that discussion for me. As for the penalty claim, Raith player knocks the ball past Queens player from about a yard away. Queens player turns in the direction of the ball but can do nothing but block the Raith player running at him, where is the defender supposed to go? He can't just disappear. Obviously the players claim but it would have been very harsh (and wrong) to give it. 

25 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

As for the main talking points, Yogi is conceding that the ball crossed the line for Dobbie's goal, end of that discussion for me. As for the penalty claim, Raith player knocks the ball past Queens player from about a yard away. Queens player turns in the direction of the ball but can do nothing but block the Raith player running at him, where is the defender supposed to go? He can't just disappear. Obviously the players claim but it would have been very harsh (and wrong) to give it. 

u3onvvZ.gif

Absolutely no way that's a penalty.

Our goal is still pretty inconclusive but the still photo makes me think it was in. Our footage may clear it up conclusively.

I've often wondered if clubs at our level could clear this up without the use of goal-line technology. Would it not be possible to slant the grass behind the goal line? Something along the lines of marking where the ball is fully over the line and from that mark backwards slant the ground therefore if the ball bounces conclusively behind the line it would bounce backwards and hit the net.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've often wondered if clubs at our level could clear this up without the use of goal-line technology. Would it not be possible to slant the grass behind the goal line? Something along the lines of marking where the ball is fully over the line and from that mark backwards slant the ground therefore if the ball bounces conclusively behind the line it would bounce backwards and hit the net.

Something that would have achieved nothing in this case as the point when the ball was furthest over the line is about 5 feet above the goal line, not when it bounces on the ground towards the rear of it.

I think that's a penalty. Intent is irrelevant, the balls been knocked beyond the defender and he's blocked Callachan off. 

Also something that hasn't really been mentioned is Lee Robinson. Looked to me like he elbowed McManus in the stomach which sparked their little incident. If the ref or linesman sees that he could well be sent off. Embarrassing reaction rolling around holding his head too. Between that and giving the home end the fingers on several different occasions he continues to make it just as hard to like him as when he used to ship three or four every week with us!

Between that and the goal maybe or maybe not being in (doubt we'll ever know, to be fair, and it was tight either way) it's difficult not to feel a little hard done to. But I don't think there's much question we didn't deserve to win the game. Not good enough, from the team or Hughes - we're in a relegation scrap, at 1-1 in a crucial match at home and we're bringing on Rudi Skacel and Scott Roberts to try and win the match. They've done absolutely nothing all season and won't start to do anything now. Completely pointless putting them on the park. 

Need to pull a result out of our next two, and I just can't see it happening. 

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

I think that's a penalty. Intent is irrelevant, the balls been knocked beyond the defender and he's blocked Callachan off.

......which even if we accept it was a foul (I don't) doesn't make it a penalty. It makes it an indirect free kick for impeding an opponent (obstruction). Those offences are almost never given in the penalty area. It's never a penalty.

Something that would have achieved nothing in this case as the point when the ball was furthest over the line is about 5 feet above the goal line, not when it bounces on the ground towards the rear of it.

It wouldn't be any use in that circumstance but if such a thing existed it would surely help some of the time. From the photo provided I think it may have actually helped yesterday.

It wouldn't help when the ball is mid-air but it would surely be of more use than what we currently have. Given how long it took the EPL to get goal-line technology, I can't imagine we'll be seeing it in our country any time soon.

Terrible game, hellish journey, lovely weather. A point apiece was probably a fair result in a game with little flair on show, Dobbie's free kick the exception.
Very little football played on the deck. I think someone mentioned it earlier about a game of head tennis. Why don't players shout to let a teammate know when he has time to bring the ball down instead of heading it. Pity help these players if the link between dementia and heading a football is proved.

John Hughes said after the Dumbarton game a couple of weeks ago that he couldn't believe how good Darren Barr's strike was against us.

Considering it was Robert Thomson, I'm not sure we should take anything he says as gospel.

As for the game, it's arguably the worst I've attended this season, which is some achievement, considering the amount of keech I've watched over the last 8 months or so.

Guest Flash
16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

......which even if we accept it was a foul (I don't) doesn't make it a penalty. It makes it an indirect free kick for impeding an opponent (obstruction). Those offences are almost never given in the penalty area. It's never a penalty.

Obstruction would be if the defender put himself between the attacker and the ball and the ball was not within playing distance. As the ball was within playing distance, it wasn't obstruction. Whether it was a foul or not may be open to question, but it wasn't obstruction.

The ref gave fouls like that all over the park all afternoon.

Robinson really didn't cover himself in glory yesterday at all. Poor show.

Our best chance of three points between now and the end of the season. Dissapointing.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It wouldn't be any use in that circumstance but if such a thing existed it would surely help some of the time. From the photo provided I think it may have actually helped yesterday.

It wouldn't help when the ball is mid-air but it would surely be of more use than what we currently have. Given how long it took the EPL to get goal-line technology, I can't imagine we'll be seeing it in our country any time soon.

It would have to slope quite steeply to ensure a spinning ball couldn't come out and it would be dangerous to effectively have a step right on the edge of the pitch.

It would have to slope quite steeply to ensure a spinning ball couldn't come out and it would be dangerous to effectively have a step right on the edge of the pitch.

It would and that would be my preference but I suspect the latter point you make is why it's never been done.

That hasn't crossed the line. Penksa might get a slight touch on it after it's hit the post, but not enough to change the direction of the ball enough for it to have been in the goal but then come down on the line. 

As for the Rovers conceding goals from freekicks and looking for a cause - Penksa was still holding onto the post, moving the wall, when the whistle went. He wasn't set at all. The same thing happened last week against Dundee United but he got away with it. 

23 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

That hasn't crossed the line. Penksa might get a slight touch on it after it's hit the post, but not enough to change the direction of the ball enough for it to have been in the goal but then come down on the line. 

LOL thats not even good trolling.

Conclusive angle showing clearly the keeper does deflect it back towards the line after it goes in which is what I said all along. Given he knocks it out the way and it STILL bounces with most of the ball behind the line it pretty clearly must have been in. Good call from the officials.

Archived