Rovers v QoS

I'm not wholeheartedly convinced it was a goal (based on seeing it yesterday and the pictures and footage we've seen so far). I'm undecided on the penalty claim. I think Robinson hammed up his reaction after a seemingly friendly tussle with MacManus, but thought Declan was foolish to take any chances after just being booked. Given the way the rest of the game panned out, I was quite surprised he wasn't given a second booking - just to complete the holy trinity of dubious goal, penalty claim denied and unjust sending off!

The ref was inconsistent throughout the game, probably the worst we've seen this season. However, he wasn't to blame for the eye-bleedingly awful scrappy football we played. Even if he hadn't awarded Queens goal, I'm sure they'd have managed to get one somehow. We didn't do enough to warrant a win.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really wasn't much happening in that match beyond the talking points already highlighted, was there?

That angle is inconclusive regarding the goalkeeper's involvement at the free kick and whether he clawed it away. When the ball hits the ground though, it still looks on the line rather than behind it.

The penalty claim looks more dubious there than it did in the clip from behind the goal.

So.... after seeing the highlights, I'll revise my opinion to still not completely convinced about the goal but, from that angle, I can see why it was given. And definitely a penalty. However, we didn't do enough to deserve to win the game, so I'm grudgingly happy with a draw.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Surprised at all the "definite penalty" shouts. It would have been a really soft penalty. There's no challenge there. He knocks it past Marshall then runs into him. Charitably it might be obstruction. I dont even think its that though.

From the latest angle, it does look like the attacker runs into Marshall.  From the one behind the goal though, Marshall seems to very much step into his path making a clash inevitable.

On balance, I'd see it as a penalty, but I can understand why the ref didn't.  Certainly not in the stonewaller category.

From the latest angle, it does look like the attacker runs into Marshall.  From the one behind the goal though, Marshall seems to very much step into his path making a clash inevitable.

On balance, I'd see it as a penalty, but I can understand why the ref didn't.  Certainly not in the stonewaller category.

This, although I'd say it was more "seen it given" than any kind of strong claim.

Well done to the Raith TV guys, watching those highlights you could almost believe something resembling a football match took place.

That defending for the raith goal, though [emoji20]

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes. From the main stand at tbe time I was never in any doubt the keeper had stopped tbe ball hitting the back of the net. Its never further over than when he touches it. I think all those saying its clearly no goal are missing that it hits him between hitting the post and bouncing down on the line. You probably had to be in the Main Stand to appreciate that though. We will have had a Go Pro camera behind the net. Hopefully it shows it though not being in line it may not.

As for Thomson we will have to disagree. Whilst he did take the ball cleanly I thought it was a dangerius out of control challenge that could even have been more than yellow.

My view on both of these incidents is pretty much the same as this (although unsurprising given I had the same main stand view of it). Those around me seemed to think Thomson getting a yellow was harsh, my view was that it was minimum yellow card. It was one of those tackles that would have been seen as a good tackle 30 years ago, but you simply cannot dive in to a challenge like that in modern football and not expect to pick up at least a yellow card.

4 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

...the whole of the ball clearly isn't over the line in that still. 

I agree I dont think it is. Most of it is but not all of it. However nobody is suggesting thats the point at which it was furthest over the line so posting a photo of it is fairly irrelevant.

One thing which is worth noting for us by the way. How many fucking free kicks do we seem to concede? 

We've had QotS (Dobbie), Hibs  (Cummings), Falkirk (Hippolyte), Ayr (Harkins) and Morton (Forbes) all score against us from free kicks this season. Over the last few seasons it feels like it's something we've generally been poor at. 

One thing which is worth noting for us by the way. How many fucking free kicks do we seem to concede? 
We've had QotS (Dobbie), Hibs  (Cummings), Falkirk (Hippolyte), Ayr (Harkins) and Morton (Forbes) all score against us from free kicks this season. Over the last few seasons it feels like it's something we've generally been poor at. 

It's my pet hate with going to watch us, feels like we concede about 10 a season whilst scoring 1, maybe 2 of we're lucky. Over the last few years I can recall Sloan against Brechin (THATS NIVIR TEN YAIRDS) and Conroy with a wind assisted howitzer v Cowden at Central. Must be more than two..?

It's my pet hate with going to watch us, feels like we concede about 10 a season whilst scoring 1, maybe 2 of we're lucky. Over the last few years I can recall Sloan against Brechin (THATS NIVIR TEN YAIRDS) and Conroy with a wind assisted howitzer v Cowden at Central. Must be more than two..?

Conroy against Rangers in the Scottish cup at Ibrox as well. McHattie against Arbroath in the friendly this season as well if you're including friendlies. Can't think of many others. We don't do scoring free kicks. We certainly concede them though.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Conroy had a few with us, including one of the opening day against Dumbarton and Rangers away in the cup. Sloan scored one at East Fife away. Brian Graham also scored an utter peach in stoppage time against Deveronvale. Think it was about 30 yards out. 

Archived