Rovers v QoS

22 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Indeed. We have had some excellent victories is some big games over the last decade including a run to the Scottish Cup Final which was certainly something I thought i`d never see (with victories over Aberdeen, Dundee and perhaps most remarkably of all away to The Famous). This season we seem incredibly fragile despite having made a very decent start to the campaign.

I'm glad to say I was at cappielow that day when we comfortably beat the famous. One to tell the grandkids that one

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Theres nothing more dangerous, in my opinion, than wingers who can get to the byeline and cross the ball - we saw that on Saturday.
Thomas has been dangerous cutting in when he first joined but recently he's struggled to get into games. I'd agree with you that its time to try him on the left with Carmichael, or possibly, Hilson on the right and Dobbie and another up front. I suggested earlier in the week that Id like to see Hilson get a start up front as I feel we lack pace there which makes us much easier to defend against, but I wouldnt be bothered if Lyle started instead.
Unfortunately, I think we'll continue to try and shoehorn Thomson, Jacobs and Rankin into the team.

Totally agree with point re wingers.

Thomas has enough in his game to do damage by going on the outside onto his favoured left foot. Playing on "wrong"side has been in vogue for several years but for me it is a lot less dangerous and players like Ross Forbes get away with it because defenders seem to be so inept that they show him inside on to to his lethal left foot and pay the price. Forbes by way of example - is slower than a week in jail, can barely touch the ball with his right and yet defenders "take the bait" when he drops his shoulder.He should be a very easy player to stop but it shows how poor the defenders are at this level.

For me if Thomas can't play on his natural side I would stop playing with two wide midfielders - go narrow and play something like a 4-3-1-2 or a 4-3-3 with the three front men playing quite narrow and inter- changing.

Having say Thomas on the right and either Dykes or Danny on the left isn't working and hasn't really worked. Team is unbalanced and while Thomas has done well in some games I cant recall any games where both wide players have done well in same game.

I like 4-4-2 but not with two wide players who do nothing but cut inside onto their stronger foot and inevitably run into traffic - defeats the purpose of having width in first place.

They're in free fall and we've been decent at home of late. I'm hopeful of a win.

Quite literally the reason I'm convinced we'll lose!

I think we're a long way from 'must-win' territory, but given our abysmal away form and two tough matches at Falkirk and Dunfermline coming up, a win here would give us a little cushion if we were to carry on the away form and lose both. Queens would also officially be in just as precarious a position as us, which is helpful given the bottom four including ourselves all seem to have found a bit of form from somewhere.

If we don't win this I think we'll need to pull out an unexpected win from somewhere to be sure of survival. But last week showed we can't really be sure of anything.

We'll likely be unchanged, which is fair. First Rovers performance I've actually enjoyed since.. August, maybe? Seems like a lot to ask for them to repeat it, but we live in hope.

Archived