Rovers v QoS

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I think there is a bit of overreaction involved (although only a bit). We were on a good run of form going in to the Falkirk game, then obviously have struggled last 4. I would say though, that only yesterday was an unexpected result.

There is the frustrating tendency to leave Lyle in the bench and play Dobbie wide though, which is just madness.

There is a significant over-reaction to the last four games considering most were quite positive going into Falkirk and most were confidently predicting St Mirren's greater need would see them triumph on Saturday. We were awful against Falkirk and havent played especially well in the other three but we havent played especially badly either. On a ploughed field we were the better side for an hour at Dunfermline. I thought we edged the first half at Morton and should certainly have been in front given the two chances missed by Dobbie and Thomson and we absolutely were by miles the better side first half on Saturday.

Its disappointing that in both the last two, having gone behind, we never looked much like getting back in it but I dont think, Falkirk apart, we have played especially badly. The results, especially with United clearly struggling, have been a missed opportunity too.

There is a significant over-reaction to the last four games considering most were quite positive going into Falkirk and most were confidently predicting St Mirren's greater need would see them triumph on Saturday. We were awful against Falkirk and havent played especially well in the other three but we havent played especially badly either. On a ploughed field we were the better side for an hour at Dunfermline. I thought we edged the first half at Morton and should certainly have been in front given the two chances missed by Dobbie and Thomson and we absolutely were by miles the better side first half on Saturday.
Its disappointing that in both the last two, having gone behind, we never looked much like getting back in it but I dont think, Falkirk apart, we have played especially badly. The results, especially with United clearly struggling, have been a missed opportunity too.

Unfortunately its a 90 minute game .

Are you doing fancy dress this weekend as there used to be a party of QOS supporters that descended on the Harbour Bar in Kirkcaldy before the game and it was a great bit of fun, the seasons since then have had the game on Alba which fucks everyone plans up.  So hopefully the mini bus of characters appears next weekend in full costume.;):)

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Largely fair, but not much help.

During our awful Oct - Christmas run, there were games (Ayr away, Raith away and Dumbarton at home spring to mind) where we probably 'deserved' at least a point possibly all three, but wound up with none.  We acquired a losing habit and the mental brittleness of the side became evident.  

If recent games have shown something similar, a fearful response as we reach this stage isn't really that much of an over-reaction.

Guest Flash
10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Probably an accurate assessment of the matches. But I don't really take a great deal of comfort from it given that you were saying the exact same kind of stuff as we lost 7 games in a row on our way to 5 points out of 39. Most were quite positive going into that run as well.

As MT says, if this hadn't already happened ealier in the season, the comments probably would be an over-reaction. In the circumstances, they aren't.

Looks like we are in for another run of bad results, I think we have to give Naysmith time, but continuing using Dobbie in a lone striking role is his doing and not good, he needs to couple him up with the tan man for the full 90 mins Lyle although getting on a bit, is fit enough and at least Lyle and find the net.
Punting high balls up to Dykes is clearly not working, when I saw the team sheet against St Mirren I knew we would be beat.
Naysmith is far to slow at bringing on subs, I could be wrong but if Lyle had been on from the start, I'm sure we could have been one or two up in the first half.

My take on Naysmith is that it's a bit extreme to question whether he'll be in charge at the start of next season (he will) but it's not extreme to be a bit concerned about what we're seeing.

His insistence on route 1 (which we were actually warned about by some East Fife fans) is the thing that concerns me most just now. He either thinks we have the players to play this system; which we clearly don't. Or he hasn't a clue how to approach games any other way. Though it's probably both.

I'll wait and see if he brings in the appropriate players for his system but given he's signed two up on two year deals who don't fit into it( Rankin and Mercer), I don't have much faith. I think by 10 or so games in next season if things haven't improved then the pressure will be seriously on him.

We've managed to gain 7 points out of 9 from our home games since Hughes came in (0 points away) so I'm quite glad this game is at Starks. We looked not to shabby against United however we looked not to shabby against St Mirren and then got royally humped the week after. Relatively confident we can get a win in this game if we show the same attitude as the St/Mirren and United games. 

Largely fair, but not much help.
During our awful Oct - Christmas run, there were games (Ayr away, Raith away and Dumbarton at home spring to mind) where we probably 'deserved' at least a point possibly all three, but wound up with none.  We acquired a losing habit and the mental brittleness of the side became evident.  
If recent games have shown something similar, a fearful response as we reach this stage isn't really that much of an over-reaction.

When you guys were on that amazing run at the start of the season I really wanted you to do it. It would have been good to see someone different than the usual suspects.

My take on Naysmith is that it's a bit extreme to question whether he'll be in charge at the start of next season (he will) but it's not extreme to be a bit concerned about what we're seeing.

His insistence on route 1 (which we were actually warned about by some East Fife fans) is the thing that concerns me most just now. He either thinks we have the players to play this system; which we clearly don't. Or he hasn't a clue how to approach games any other way. Though it's probably both.

I'll wait and see if he brings in the appropriate players for his system but given he's signed two up on two year deals who don't fit into it( Rankin and Mercer), I don't have much faith. I think by 10 or so games in next season if things haven't improved then the pressure will be seriously on him.

I am not sure that he will necessarily be there at start of next season. The main thing is the extent of the contract that has been agreed and I suspect if BOD had gone for a shorter deal he would be "away" barring a Q4 revival.

Big problem is that it is a not simply a case of him building on what we have - a host of few faces will be required and while two of his signings (loan) were good he has singularly failed to knit the team together and stamp his own playing identity on the squad.

In this league a misfiring manager for a club of our size will probably take us into bottom 2 and therefore it is a big call even allowing for the compensation that would be payable.

On 19/03/2017 at 23:53, Skyline Drifter said:

lol

One of the worrying things for me is that the Manager says we have been playing well, apart from the Falkirk game.

Of course, playing well from a managerial point of view differs from that of a fans view.  Carrying out his instructions will satisfy the Manager but if he thinks that the first half against Morton was worth watching then that is very concerning.

I watched on TV so maybe being there was different but I suspect not.  The ball being continually booted up to Dykes and Dobbie completely isolated up front did not make for good viewing nor did the fact that we could not string 2 passes together although that's not surprising as it seems the players are not encouraged to do that any more.

His team selection and tactics are all wrong and certainly not what I want to watch.  It needs to change or we need to make a change.

No over-reaction SD just stating the facts  as they appear.

Hopefully we can take the lead so we have something to hold on to.  Last thing we need is the heads going down again, we wont be any further forward that way. 

Same team as Sat, no need to change.  We were rarely under any real danger, although granted Dundee Utd are absolutely awful.

Queens will be fine in terms of relegation.  Even with their slide, theres no way 4/5 of Dumbarton, Dunfermline, Us, Ayr or St Mirren will get the points to finish above them, with everyone playing each other in the next few weeks.

4 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

lol

lol all you like. From your goal until about 15 - 20 minutes from the end we were well on top. We were hanging on a bit at the end right enough and lucky when Clark hit the post but we were the better side for the entire middle period of the game and both managers said so afterwards.

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

One of the worrying things for me is that the Manager says we have been playing well, apart from the Falkirk game.

Of course, playing well from a managerial point of view differs from that of a fans view.  Carrying out his instructions will satisfy the Manager but if he thinks that the first half against Morton was worth watching then that is very concerning.

I watched on TV so maybe being there was different but I suspect not.  The ball being continually booted up to Dykes and Dobbie completely isolated up front did not make for good viewing nor did the fact that we could not string 2 passes together although that's not surprising as it seems the players are not encouraged to do that any more.

His team selection and tactics are all wrong and certainly not what I want to watch.  It needs to change or we need to make a change.

No over-reaction SD just stating the facts  as they appear.

That's an opinion, not a fact. Personally I don't think the first half at Morton was particularly great but we were the better side and made the best two chances in it. We should have been in front.

It's my opinion that there's a significant over-reaction to four games here, of which we were only truly awful in one of them, albeit I wouldn't claim any of them were great performances. They weren't.

One of my main concerns is that when we lose the first goal in a match we virually never come back to win and rarely seem to get even a point. I don`t think we have come back to win after losing the first goal in any league match this season (we did in the cup game at Hibs -probably our best result of the season). I reckon we have 2 draws in the league after losing the first goal, recent game away to Dunfermline and at Dundee United in January where despite being 3-1 up with not long left we didn`t win. When the opposition score first i just assume we won`t win, looks a bit like the team feels the same.

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Hopefully we can take the lead so we have something to hold on to.  Last thing we need is the heads going down again, we wont be any further forward that way. 

That's an important point, I make it April last year since we last won a league game where we fell behind. With confidence so fragile at the moment (with the team and fans) we can't afford to go behind.

37 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

One of my main concerns is that when we lose the first goal in a match we virually never come back to win and rarely seem to get even a point. I don`t think we have come back to win after losing the first goal in any league match this season (we did in the cup game at Hibs -probably our best result of the season). I reckon we have 2 draws in the league after losing the first goal, recent game away to Dunfermline and at Dundee United in January where despite being 3-1 up with not long left we didn`t win. When the opposition score first i just assume we won`t win, looks a bit like the team feels the same.

33 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

That's an important point, I make it April last year since we last won a league game where we fell behind. With confidence so fragile at the moment (with the team and fans) we can't afford to go behind.

So, first goal wins then?

Archived