The Relegation Battle

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We had to win today.

I know that there are still games to play but I always believed that we needed to win today to make up for the points we dropped when Ayr stole a draw in the last 2 minutes of their game at the Rock. That loss puts us level with Ayr on 31 points.

St Mirren and Queen of the South away are must win games.

I also think we'll need to take something from our home games against Morton or Dunfermline. The games v Dundee United away and Falkirk at home are 2 terrible games to end the season with.

We'll keep going, but I'm not at all confident.

I don't think any Sons fan is confident; it's one thing competing but our threadbare squad is now at breaking point - Nade Fleming and perhaps Barr out next week.  Maybe gravity is about to catch up with us...

Ayr have won 3 out of 4 league games, and all 3 were against relegation rivals. No ayr fans could possibly have imagined such an outcome.

We're nowhere near safe but we're alive and kicking like f**k. On current form we could conceivably pick up points from every remaining game.

But I just know this time next week we'll have lost two games and be right back in deep depression mode.

Football eh?

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We had to win today.

I know that there are still games to play but I always believed that we needed to win today to make up for the points we dropped when Ayr stole a draw in the last 2 minutes of their game at the Rock. That loss puts us level with Ayr on 31 points.

St Mirren and Queen of the South away are must win games.

I also think we'll need to take something from our home games against Morton or Dunfermline. The games v Dundee United away and Falkirk at home are 2 terrible games to end the season with.

We'll keep going, but I'm not at all confident.

Actually won't these teams [ DU & Falkirk ] have their minds on the play-offs. Can't see either actually needing the points at that stage. Not that they would chuck it.

Actually won't these teams [ DU & Falkirk ] have their minds on the play-offs. Can't see either actually needing the points at that stage. Not that they would chuck it.

They may both be fighting for 2nd spot and 1 less playoff round compared to finishing 3rd.

We play the top 4 in the last 4/5 games. Only thing still up for grabs could be 2nd place.

8 hours ago, yorkshirepud said:

Short memory from fan of team who lost to that pash team last week.

Yeah got very lucky, a header going wide hits Moffat and trunches in, with luck like that you could well stay up

If you convert your predicted points gain for each team into wins and draws:
Dunfermline with 8 games remaining need 11 points - 3 wins 2 draws 3 defeats is plausible but look at their fixtures and ask where the three wins are coming from?
Raith need 8 points - maybe home wins v Queens and Ayr and a point from Morton and a point from?? ...hmm!
and so on.

Where are the two wins coming from now...

f**k off,we,ll be fine

We will definitely be in the bottom two by the time we get to the last two matches and I've zero faith in that squad having the bottle to win a couple of 'do or die' matches at the end of the season.

Will 40 points do the trick for 8th? I reckon it just about will.

Ayr need 3 wins. Simple. We have some very winnable games but it's still a tall order.

I would agree 40 points should be enough. The only problem is the bottom teams are now the form teams and all are capable of winning any game. So expect lots of weird results from now to the end of the season.

Archived