The Relegation Battle

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

EDIT - On that point, how would it be decided if the teams in 8th & 9th were tied on points and goal difference? Hopefully it's based on the number of goals the team has scored away from home...

This almost happened a number of years ago when ourselves and Clyde were fighting to avoid the drop. We were away to Partick Thistle and Clyde were at home to bottom club Stirling. It had been pointed out that there was a scenario which would see us finish on identical points, goal difference and goal scored, and the scores needed was something fairly ordinary like 2-1 and 1-0. The SFL stated that in that case there would have been a play-off to see who avoided the play-offs.

We both won 3-0 (thank you, Brian Wake) and we finished 8th by virtue of having scored one goal more. Clyde's playoff saw a bizarre comeback IIRC. Forget who benefitted.

Edit - I checked. Clyde were 5-2 down on aggregate at home to Alloa with half an hour to go and managed to win 6-5 AET. They then beat Airdrie in the final.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see the Son's complete their safety for another season in Championship on Saturday with Sammy on the score sheet.  Raith to draw at Easter Road this week followed by us pumping Ayr on Saturday and St Mirren to snatch a win @ ER on the final day.  Jobs a good un. 

10 minutes ago, Bambino7 said:

Good to see the Son's complete their safety for another season in Championship on Saturday with Sammy on the score sheet.  Raith to draw at Easter Road this week followed by us pumping Ayr on Saturday and St Mirren to snatch a win @ ER on the final day.  Jobs a good un. 

Eh, we're not safe yet, M9.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'd say the reality will be somewhere in the middle.  I expect Hibs to field a decent team with a smattering of fringe/young players, I also expect they won't lose every game but also won't win every game. 

That table with 4 teams on 39 points is giving me the fear, our goal difference is okay but a humping at United on Saturday could change that.

EDIT - On that point, how would it be decided if the teams in 8th & 9th were tied on points and goal difference? Hopefully it's based on the number of goals the team has scored away from home...

There's a scenario where it could go down to H2H between St Mirren and Dumbarton, with St Mirren finishing 9th since we've not beat Dumbarton this season.

Think it would require Raith to beat Hibs, Dumbarton to beat Dundee Utd 4-1, St Mirren to beat Raith 1-0, St Mirren to beat Hibs 1-0, Dumbarton to lose to Falkirk 1-0 and Raith to beat Ayr... Which would mean..

7                      Raith Rovers     36         11         9          16         34:45    -11        42

8                      Dumbarton FC  36         10         11         15         48:55    -7         41

9                      St. Mirren FC     36         10         11         15         48:55    -7         41

3 hours ago, Bambino7 said:

You'll be losing to us then beating St Mirren on the last day. 

It's certainly fair to say that Hibs will have a huge say in settling the outcome of the relegation battle with their remaining fixtures coming against three of the bottom four.

I'm hopeful that they either haven't already or don't, down tools. There's a huge amount resting on the outcome of their three games and I'm sure their professionalism will shine through with two victories.

It's as close a battle as I can recall though and whatever happens it's been intense and a gripping end to the season. I'm hopeful but far from expectant that we can get something at Tannadice on Saturday evening which would be huge, but our last two games are very, very tough indeed.

24 minutes ago, rw89 said:

Keep in mind the Vaughan connection. Rovers to win the final three games and the Sons to win their games too. We're all happy with that right? Good...

Correct.  That's my ideal scenario, genuinely wouldn't mind a loss on Weds. 

Just now, rw89 said:

Rovers end. Get involved. 

We won't even have Skacel in the team. 

I usually get a comp or two but not going to make the effort mate.  If it was a Saturday I would be tempted. 

This is the best I have seen Saints play in years you also feel it going into grounds with the atmosphere from the fans. If it's the play off's would be  confident to come through that. Personally I think it will be Ayr down and Raith in the play off's but you never really know. One thing is for sure St Mirren will be pushing for promotion next season no matter what league they will be in. 

Archived