The Relegation Battle

St Mirren going down in 10th could be the funniest thing going now after their mini revival and not completely out the question yet. Dumbarton are safe from 10th and Raith have too many chances to pick up the point they need. Its us (and it is us) or them for bottom spot now. 

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of this is going to depend on Hibs.  They literally have nothing whatsoever to play for, but how they approach the final 3 games will play a big part on who finishes where.

I suppose it's quite likely they will get the sombreros on, play the kids and lose all 3 games.   Equally possible that they will field strong teams and win all 3.

I think 4 or 6 points from our final 2 games and we will be fine.  3, 2 or 1 points and we will finish 9th and 0 and we will finish 10th.  So basically we are going to need something at Easter Road.

27 minutes ago, Lex said:

I suppose it's quite likely they will get the sombreros on, play the kids and lose all 3 games.   Equally possible that they will field strong teams and win all 3.

I'd say the reality will be somewhere in the middle.  I expect Hibs to field a decent team with a smattering of fringe/young players, I also expect they won't lose every game but also won't win every game. 

That table with 4 teams on 39 points is giving me the fear, our goal difference is okay but a humping at United on Saturday could change that.

EDIT - On that point, how would it be decided if the teams in 8th & 9th were tied on points and goal difference? Hopefully it's based on the number of goals the team has scored away from home...

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'd say the reality will be somewhere in the middle.  I expect Hibs to field a decent team with a smattering of fringe/young players, I also expect they won't lose every game but also won't win every game. 

That table with 4 teams on 39 points is giving me the fear, our goal difference is okay but a humping at United on Saturday could change that.

EDIT - On that point, how would it be decided if the teams in 8th & 9th were tied on points and goal difference?

P&B poll.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

EDIT - On that point, how would it be decided if the teams in 8th & 9th were tied on points and goal difference? Hopefully it's based on the number of goals the team has scored away from home...

It goes Goal Difference, then Goals Scored, then Head to Head on points, then Head to Head on aggregate, then a playoff at a neutral venue if clubs are still somehow tied after that.

Edit: Of course, head to head only works if it's two teams tied on GD and GS - if it was three teams tied on those the rules don't mention what they'd do, though of course ending up in that position here would take an absolutely ridiculous set of results.

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

It goes Goal Difference, then Goals Scored, then Head to Head on points, then Head to Head on aggregate, then a playoff if clubs are still somehow tied after that.

Cheers, St Mirren and ourselves are safe if it goes as far as goals scored.

Just now, Poet of the Macabre said:

Each side would select one P&B poster to take each other on in a series of challenges. All will be televised by BBC Alba.

Should make it a condition that each side has to have two posters nominated, one chosen by the fans of their club and one by fans of other clubs to ensure a good guy, w**k combination. So for example St Mirren could have a rational, normal person like djchapsticks paired with a seething mess like Lex or a simpleton like shull, needing to work together to save their club.

I favour the Battle Royale/Hunger Games approach. All we need now is a neutral venue to host the event: a bleak, dystopian setting where the web-toed locals have long since given up hope of ever having any sort of quality of life ever again...

I'll let you add your own punchlines there.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

I favour the Battle Royale/Hunger Games approach. All we need now is a neutral venue to host the event: a bleak, dystopian setting where the web-toed locals have long since given up hope of ever having any sort of quality of life ever again...

I'll let you add your own punchlines there.

Not sure giving the Fifers home advantage is fair.

I'd more than settle for a play off at the moment.

Fine fine margins, and we were unlucky not to get anything on Saturday - but fact is we didn't.

Could actually find ourselves in a situation where even beating Hibs would see us relegated (Raith win their next two games, then have nothing to play for on the final day against Ayr - who would of course have to win this Saturday, but, in the Hibs-down-tools scenario, why not).

So, not wanting to tempt fate... anyone know the dates for the play off games?

34 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I'd more than settle for a play off at the moment.

Fine fine margins, and we were unlucky not to get anything on Saturday - but fact is we didn't.

Could actually find ourselves in a situation where even beating Hibs would see us relegated (Raith win their next two games, then have nothing to play for on the final day against Ayr - who would of course have to win this Saturday, but, in the Hibs-down-tools scenario, why not).

So, not wanting to tempt fate... anyone know the dates for the play off games?

I posted them over on BAWA yesterday. 

10th and 13th May for semis. 

17th and 21st May for finals. 

Championship team gets home advantage second leg in both ties. Final 2nd leg is on a Sunday live on Alba. 

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I posted them over on BAWA yesterday. 

10th and 13th May for semis. 

17th and 21st May for finals. 

Championship team gets home advantage second leg in both ties. Final 2nd leg is on a Sunday live on Alba. 

Bugger. I'll miss the away leg of the first.

Hope we're not in them cos we're safe, but I think the most likely way we'll not be playing on the 10th is if we're already down.

Got a horrible feeling that we're going to struggle against Raith on Saturday.

Last time we played them we were the better team - and still lost 2-0.

Hopefully Billy's back pass faux pas on Saturday will be his last mistake of the season.  He probably still has nightmares over Raith's second that night, and a great performance on Saturday would exorcise those demons.

Archived