The Relegation Battle

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would imaging that there are a few Championship Chairmen that are not looking forward to next season if Dundee United manage to secure a playoff place and go up with Hibs, and St. Mirren go down, those three could be replaced by Inverness Caley, Hamilton and Alloa,  It would be the first season with out at least one big travelling support and average attendance in the Championship will be well down

You could be right, but if memory serves me correctly, Hamilton brought a fairly decent support to our place, albeit that was a fair few years ago now.

Travelling supports may well decrease, but what odds on Dundee United winning promotion and affecting the attendances as you suggest?

Yeah. I think less than half of them are Falkirk fans. Travelling support of about 8. 

Ooft, I wonder how few (if any) would have turned up if they didn't consider us rivals.

5 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

St Mirren fan mentions our excellent, big team support. Pars fans triggered everywhere. Not their real derby though. 

Your profile photo is a picture of our mascot.

11 hours ago, Old Diamond said:

I would imaging that there are a few Championship Chairmen that are not looking forward to next season if Dundee United manage to secure a playoff place and go up with Hibs, and St. Mirren go down, those three could be replaced by Inverness Caley, Hamilton and Alloa,  It would be the first season with out at least one big travelling support and average attendance in the Championship will be well down

United brought about 600 to Palmerston on their first visit but their last two visits they brought less than Falkirk. Combined with the distance factor for us and the fans behaviour meaning stewarding costs are higher would mean I wouldnt miss them if they went up.

Hamilton wouldnt bring many but geographically it would be fine for us. Motherwell would be better. Dont want either of the Highland clubs obviously. The Doomsday scenario would be getting both of them.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

United brought about 600 to Palmerston on their first visit but their last two visits they brought less than Falkirk. Combined with the distance factor for us and the fans behaviour meaning stewarding costs are higher would mean I wouldnt miss them if they went up.

Hamilton wouldnt bring many but geographically it would be fine for us. Motherwell would be better. Dont want either of the Highland clubs obviously. The Doomsday scenario would be getting both of them.

Ooft. 

9 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

St Mirren fan mentions our excellent, big team support. Pars fans triggered everywhere. Not their real derby though. 

PMSL 

do you really think we Fifers have a derby game with teams outside of Fife? 

It would appear you are desperate to be associated with us on any level, your profile pic suggests an unhealthy obsession with Fifes biggest team.

We can see Ayr and Saint Mirren relegated by just pumping both though. There's not much to discuss anyway - when Ayr have a crucial game at Cappielow they'll fold like a Ukrainian deckchair as usual. Probably losing the match and their fight for survival in the 94th and 96th minutes this time. 

Which is a terrible, wee shame for them. 

IMG_1491825725.495893.jpg.5b106f23e5dbb00f0d9db92bc8d2e154.jpg

What's up with the Ukrainians?

If Utd are going up it means Falkirk are staying down, if St Mirren are to be relegated it obviously lessens the chance of them finishing above us next year, what we'd lose in gate revenue from them we'd gain in competition revenue. We'd also still have Raith although as the last derby showed that ain't much.

Losing Hibs will mean taking a hit financially though. No way around that.

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

If Utd are going up it means Falkirk are staying down, if St Mirren are to be relegated it obviously lessens the chance of them finishing above us next year, what we'd lose in gate revenue from them we'd gain in competition revenue. We'd also still have Raith although as the last derby showed that ain't much.

You could have Raith going down with/instead of St. Mirren/Ayr.

I think no matter what crowds will fall next season. The details aint important really.

For all that Motherwell would bring a bigger crowd if they go down (and we stay down) I think most clubs would fancy their chances of finishing ahead of Accies, County or ICT as opposed to Motherwell.

For us, I'm not sure we'd take a massive hit.

The teams who we'd be looking at getting in place of Hibs haven't been at our ground on many occasions since we moved, so I'd expect a slightly swelled support for those games. And given the small capacity of our ground anyway, a decent away following close to four figures would mean an almost full away end anyway.

I wouldn't expect near a thousand from either of the Highland clubs, but if it were to be Motherwell say, then I would certainly expect a big away following.

And I know it seems ridiculous now, but if Dundee United were to actually be challenging at the top of the league and were a good side, surely they'd bring a decent sized support most places they'd go next season?

38 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

And I know it seems ridiculous now, but if Dundee United were to actually be challenging at the top of the league and were a good side, surely they'd bring a decent sized support most places they'd go next season?

This is true, though geographically we benefit less from United than everyone else does and in particular their presence along with Hibs helps Raith a lot more than it does us for instance in direct obvious rivals terms.

United had 612 away fans at Palmerston in November which would certainly have had a novelty value for them. They had 302 at the Challenge Cup semi final though that was on live tv and a 5:15 kick off which didn't help. And they had 238 at the recent league game but that's on the back of an awful run and a cup final the week before which probably most travelling fans picked over Palmerston if it was one or the other.

By comparison Falkirk's visiting supports this season have been 230 and 362 and Morton's have been 144 and 273.

Given the inconvenience (and additional costs) of travelling to Dundee over Falkirk I'd rather lose United than Falkirk personally. However you are right that a United challenging at the top would probably bring more than 500.

Gates are likely to be down next season though. The worst case scenario for us would be Livi and Brechin replacing Ayr and St Mirren whilst the two Highland clubs replace Hibs and either United or Falkirk. Best case scenario if we take it as read Hibs are going up would be Motherwell coming down and nobody else. Livi replacing Raith or Ayr (or Dumbarton actually but I don't see Dumbarton finishing bottom) and nobody else up.

Average away supports at TFS so far this season.

Hibs 2,000

Dunfermline 1,400

Dundee United 1,100

St Mirren 500

Raith Rovers 400

Morton 350

Ayr 300

Queen of the South 200

Dumbarton 120

Losing Hibs wouldn't be the end of the world, but assuming they're replaced by Inverness I'd say it will cost us about £50,000. The next worst case scenario would be losing Dundee Utd and gaining Ross County from the play-offs, only costing us about £12,000 though. 

12 minutes ago, SuperTon said:

Who would've thought a relegation thread would've turned into a crowd wankathon.

Who'd have thought it would be a Morton fan who moaned about the crowd wankathon cos he's only got a wee one? 

Archived