The Relegation Battle

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 22:42, Lex said:

Worth noting at this stage that we find ourselves bottom, and 4 of our remaining 6 games are away games at the top 4....

I would happily swap positions with anyone else in the league.

Spot on Lex.

I think your great run may end and expect U to only pick up one win and a couple of draws in the run in.

Never mind Ayr are out on the feet and you only need to beat them on goal difference. 

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to believe that just 6 weeks ago we were 8 points behind Ayr in 9th and 12 behind Raith in 8th and now we are 1 and 3 behind respectively. We're lucky to still be in with a shout. Vital we win again on Saturday as there is a tough run of games coming up, if we can beat Dumbarton then we could be 8th or 9th if other results go our way and we'll go to Greenock with a little less pressure on us to get a result.

23 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

We should hopefully be safely in mid-table obscurity by the last day of the season. If so, I'll be heading along to Starks for the Ayr. An absolute cracker on paper.

We were like Bambi on ice at the weekend.

That last day fixture will be all about who bottles it less.

As Lex said, our main problem is our run-in is horrendous. Away to Morton, Falkirk, Dundee United and Hibs is a nightmare - could easily see us taking nothing from those game.
Being at home to Dumbarton and Raith is good but Dumbarton are a bogey team for us and, given his record against us, Skacel will probably score in the last minute for Raith with his arse.

Depending on how it goes before, they teams could be set in their play off places by then which could mean they start to rest players for the play offs. Hibs could be in holiday mode by then. All circumstantial, who knows?

8 hours ago, BIG BEN said:

Depending on how it goes before, they teams could be set in their play off places by then which could mean they start to rest players for the play offs. Hibs could be in holiday mode by then. All circumstantial, who knows?

This season Hibs have; drawn v Rovers x3, lost v St Mirren x 2, lost v Ayr x 2, drawn v Dunf x 2. We have clear issues breaking teams down and with injuries to a couple of attacking players this won't change in the next few weeks. 

Part of me thinks we might perform better in these fixtures if we were to win the league in the next few weeks and Lennon bloods a few promising youngsters in the remaining games.

This season Hibs have; drawn v Rovers x3, lost v St Mirren x 2, lost v Ayr x 2, drawn v Dunf x 2. We have clear issues breaking teams down and with injuries to a couple of attacking players this won't change in the next few weeks. 
Part of me thinks we might perform better in these fixtures if we were to win the league and Lennon bloods a few promising youngsters in the u20s team.

Your deluded if you think you struggled to break St.Mirren down in the recent 2-0 defeat. More like you struggled to live with St.Mirren that night

Big Crowd, how'd you figure that out? If anything there will probably be less Rovers fans there than normal?

There will probably be a large travelling support relatively speaking but I agree about the Rovers support. Probably no more than 1500-1600 even for a relegation decider.

I wasn't at that game so I'll take your word for it. I'll rephrase, Hibs have had struggled against all the teams in the relegation battle. My point is if we win the league in the next few weeks and play a few promising youngsters in the remaining games we might be a tougher opposition. 

Hopefully we win on Saturday but I wouldn't want Raith to go down since it would mean fewer derbies (and crowds, selfishly speaking). I also enjoy the day out at Ayr a hell of a lot more than at Paisley so again for selfish reasons I hope Ayr stay up. Sadly, I think Ayr and Raith will go down -  my prediction is that Ayr will lose at Stark's and finish 10th, then Raith will lose to Alloa in the play-off final if they get past East Fife or Airdrie. Really hope I'm wrong though. 

We should hopefully be safely in mid-table obscurity by the last day of the season. If so, I'll be heading along to Starks for the Ayr. An absolute cracker on paper.

That's optimistic. What an utter shitfest of so called 'football' that would be. Mince teams under enormous pressure only ever ends up in a truly awful game of football.

20 minutes ago, Astro said:

That's optimistic. What an utter shitfest of so called 'football' that would be. Mince teams under enormous pressure only ever ends up in a truly awful game of football.

In fairness, I think he clarified that it was the tension and the attritional atmosphere that he was excited about. I'm inclined to agree. An all-or-nothing, do-or-die shitfest has certain appeal, especially if you're not involved.

In fairness, I think he clarified that it was the tension and the attritional atmosphere that he was excited about. I'm inclined to agree. An all-or-nothing, do-or-die shitfest has certain appeal, especially if you're not involved.

Yeah I got a bit punchy there. I replied before I read the rest of the thread. [emoji85]

Archived