The Relegation Battle

2 hours ago, rw89 said:

One of whom had a forward in goals and missed a barrow load of chances.

Positive result for us on the back of the weekend. It's hugely unlikely as it's one of our most difficult games this season, but if we can replicate our earlier result at Falkirk at the weekend it would be huge.

Aye, your forward didn't do any worse than a recognised keeper would have and you had 5 chances(2 due to our mistakes) against 4 chances(1 due to your mistake), 9 between 2 teams is hardly a barrow load never mind 5 for 1 team.

For the benefit of anyone that didn't attend the Ayr v Raith game, it was an absolutely dire match between 2 teams that were absolutely dire on the night and the least dire team deservedly took the points.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, battling hard, but still managing to lose to a side formerly in free fall, must be a very positive sign for you.

Also a side who have only lost once at home in the league all season. Can really twist it any way you want.

Worth noting that with six matches remaining, if the form over the past six matches was to be repeated over the next six, Dumbarton would finish bottom. St Mirren, Raith and Ayr (likely in that order) would be separated by goal difference for 9th. QoS would finish one point above.

Of course it won't go down like that, it's just an indicator of how tight it's going to be. Anyone from the current bottom 4 is just as likely as anyone else to go down, for me. From a Rovers perspective I'm struggling to see how we pick up much more than four or five points, with the best shot at three being on the final day when things could already be decided. But relegation battles spring up plenty surprises.

Worth noting that with six matches remaining, if the form over the past six matches was to be repeated over the next six, Dumbarton would finish bottom. St Mirren, Raith and Ayr (likely in that order) would be separated by goal difference for 9th. QoS would finish one point above.

Of course it won't go down like that, it's just an indicator of how tight it's going to be. Anyone from the current bottom 4 is just as likely as anyone else to go down, for me. From a Rovers perspective I'm struggling to see how we pick up much more than four or five points, with the best shot at three being on the final day when things could already be decided. But relegation battles spring up plenty surprises.

I'd put together a post in our thread detailing the remaining fixtures for yourselves, Ayr and St. Mirren, detailing possible points taken and what that'd mean.

It's all conjecture of course, but it'll be close that's for sure and there'll undoubtedly be twists and turns in the final six games making it nail-biting for all involved.

47 minutes ago, Paco said:

Worth noting Saints have a game in hand over everyone apart from Dunfermline now which going on current form would probably make us safe in that scenario. In reality, the head to heads are going to be vital and I expect every team to pick up some unexpected points against the top 4, especially in the last couple of weeks where the top 4 might have nothing to play for.

2 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Worth noting Saints have a game in hand over everyone apart from Dunfermline now which going on current form would probably make us safe in that scenario. In reality, the head to heads are going to be vital and I expect every team to pick up some unexpected points against the top 4, especially in the last couple of weeks where the top 4 might have nothing to play for.

I don't think it looks particularly likely that the top four will ever have "nothing to play for" other than Hibs who will alsmost certainly win the title with 2 or 3 games to spare. It's fairly unlikely that 2nd will be clinched before the last week and even 3rd/4th is still a benefit worth having.

Just now, irvine_buddie said:

Worth noting Saints have a game in hand over everyone apart from Dunfermline now which going on current form would probably make us safe in that scenario. 

Your game in hand is against a vastly superior Morton side at the Theatre of Dreams though, so you'll be getting f**k all from that one. Quite possibly a skelping to your already abysmal goal difference tally as well, sending you plummeting into the seaside leagues.

Hard lines. 

1489951496316.jpg

I doubt there'll be many games involving teams with nothing to play for in the top four. There's cementing places in the play-offs and playing for home advantage in them etc, so I doubt there'll be much taking the foot off the gas for anyone bar maybe Hibs when they wrap up the title, whenever that happens.

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

Your game in hand is against a vastly superior Morton side at the Theatre of Dreams though, so you'll be getting f**k all from that one. Quite possibly a skelping to your already abysmal goal difference tally as well, sending you plummeting into the seaside leagues.

Hard lines. 

1489951496316.jpg

Completely ignoring the fact we were talking about projecting recent form only... not actual fixtures. But any excuse to squeeze your tedious shite patter in the middle of an actual football discussion :huh:

Had a go at predicting how it'll pan out. Most likely be miles off with teams scrapping for their lifes results are hard to predict but here goes...

St Mirren

Ayr (H) - 1

Dumbarton (H) - 3

Morton (A) - 1

Falkirk (A) - 0

Dundee Utd (A) - 0

Raith (H) - 3

Hibs (A) – 1

Total – 9

Trying not to go overboard with optimism, would like to think we could win all 3 home games but it’s just not St Mirren, and we are incapable of winning 3 league games in a row.

Ayr

St Mirren (A) - 1

QoS (H) - 1

Dundee Utd (H) - 0

Morton (A) - 0

Hibs (H) - 0

Raith (A) - 1

Total – 3

Think their mini run of form will falter, they’ll be hard to beat but just lacking in quality I think.

Dumbarton

Morton (H) - 0

St Mirren (A) - 0

Dunfermline (H) - 3

QoS (A) - 0

Dundee Utd (A) - 0

Falkirk (H) - 1

Total – 4

Only beaten Raith (twice) since the new year, too many draws and run off bad form at the wrong time will kill them I think.

Raith Rovers

Falkirk (A) - 0

Dunfermline (A) - 0

Morton (H) - 1

Hibs (A) - 0

St Mirren (A) - 0

Ayr (A) – 1

Total - 2

Hard run-in of fixtures, could all come down to the last game away to Ayr but their away form is woeful.

Dunfermline

Hibs (H) – 0

Raith (H) - 3

Dundee Utd (A) 0

Dumbarton (A) – 0

Falkirk (H) - 1

Morton (H) - 1

QoS (A) – 1

Total - 6

Should do enough to stay up, probably only need 1 win.

Queen of the South

Dundee Utd (H) - 0

Ayr (A) - 1

Hibs (A) - 0

Dumbarton (H) - 3

Falkirk (A) - 0

Dunfermline (H) – 1

Total – 5

Same as Dunfermline, 1 win needed most likely.

Final Table

Queen of the South - 41

Dunfermline - 41

St Mirren - 36

Dumbarton - 35

Raith Rovers - 35

Ayr United - 34

Raith to lose out on goal difference, a last minute own goal by John McGinn at Easter Road securing saints safety.

7 hours ago, pandarilla said:

We've beat three of our rivals in recent weeks. That's a positive sign thank you very much.

Indeed, but last night was surely a setback, rather than further evidence of survival looking likely.

5 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Aye, your forward didn't do any worse than a recognised keeper would have and you had 5 chances(2 due to our mistakes) against 4 chances(1 due to your mistake), 9 between 2 teams is hardly a barrow load never mind 5 for 1 team.

For the benefit of anyone that didn't attend the Ayr v Raith game, it was an absolutely dire match between 2 teams that were absolutely dire on the night and the least dire team deservedly took the points.

Wow, better tell the rest of your support to follow the party line.

All Ayr fans I have spoken to, admitted the better team lost, means f**k all with regards to points, but gives a bit of balance to you pish talk 

Guest Flash
42 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Queen of the South

Dundee Utd (H) - 0

Ayr (A) - 0

Hibs (A) - 0

Dumbarton (H) - 0

Falkirk (A) - 1

Dunfermline (H) – 1

Total – 2

Replaced with our results from first time round. Expect they will be different this time as I don't think we'll get anything at Falkirk. 

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Queen of the South

Dundee Utd (H) - 0

Ayr (A) - 0

Hibs (A) - 0

Dumbarton (H) - 0

Falkirk (A) - 1

Dunfermline (H) – 1

Total – 2

Replaced with our results from first time round. Expect they will be different this time as I don't think we'll get anything at Falkirk. 

Hope not, give Dumbarton 3 and Ayr 2 more points and we'd go down by my predictions! :unsure:

Had a go at predicting how it'll pan out. Most likely be miles off with teams scrapping for their lifes results are hard to predict but here goes...

St Mirren

Ayr (H) - 1

Dumbarton (H) - 3

Morton (A) - 1

Falkirk (A) - 0

Dundee Utd (A) - 0

Raith (H) - 3

Hibs (A) – 1

Total – 9

Trying not to go overboard with optimism, would like to think we could win all 3 home games but it’s just not St Mirren, and we are incapable of winning 3 league games in a row.

Ayr

St Mirren (A) - 1

QoS (H) - 1

Dundee Utd (H) - 0

Morton (A) - 0

Hibs (H) - 0

Raith (A) - 1

Total – 3

Think their mini run of form will falter, they’ll be hard to beat but just lacking in quality I think.

Dumbarton

Morton (H) - 0

St Mirren (A) - 0

Dunfermline (H) - 3

QoS (A) - 0

Dundee Utd (A) - 0

Falkirk (H) - 1

Total – 4

Only beaten Raith (twice) since the new year, too many draws and run off bad form at the wrong time will kill them I think.

Raith Rovers

Falkirk (A) - 0

Dunfermline (A) - 0

Morton (H) - 1

Hibs (A) - 0

St Mirren (A) - 0

Ayr (A) – 1

Total - 2

Hard run-in of fixtures, could all come down to the last game away to Ayr but their away form is woeful.

Dunfermline

Hibs (H) – 0

Raith (H) - 3

Dundee Utd (A) 0

Dumbarton (A) – 0

Falkirk (H) - 1

Morton (H) - 1

QoS (A) – 1

Total - 6

Should do enough to stay up, probably only need 1 win.

Queen of the South

Dundee Utd (H) - 0

Ayr (A) - 1

Hibs (A) - 0

Dumbarton (H) - 3

Falkirk (A) - 0

Dunfermline (H) – 1

Total – 5

Same as Dunfermline, 1 win needed most likely.

Final Table

Queen of the South - 41

Dunfermline - 41

St Mirren - 36

Dumbarton - 35

Raith Rovers - 35

Ayr United - 34

Raith to lose out on goal difference, a last minute own goal by John McGinn at Easter Road securing saints safety.

So between Ayr, Raith and Dumbarton over 18 games there will be one win, don't think so. St Mirren fan deluded predictions.

Completely ignoring the fact we were talking about projecting recent form only... not actual fixtures. But any excuse to squeeze your tedious shite patter in the middle of an actual football discussion :huh:

On "recent form", "overall form" and any other measure that you wish to choose you are still going to lose against The Famous at the Theatre of Dreams. Literally none of your recent results are a comparable test.

Thanks for playing anyway chump.

43 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Wow, better tell the rest of your support to follow the party line.

All Ayr fans I have spoken to, admitted the better team lost, means f**k all with regards to points, but gives a bit of balance to you pish talk 

All the Raith players I have spoken to, admitted Ayr were the least dire of 2 dire teams.

Recent form only..?

Over the last 6 games, we've achieved 7 points.

You're predicting us to get 2 from the next 6 games, yet yourselves to get 9 points when you are sitting rock bottom of the league deservedly so.

I honestly believe you will still be bottom of the league at the end of the season.

There's no point sugar-coating it, but if it makes you sleep better at Night then go on and believe that you'll jump above 3 other teams over the next 6 weeks. :lol:

Archived