The Relegation Battle

3 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I'm hoping they do. Ayr have taken ten points from our games this season, largely down to our own downfall and much less to do with Ayr having quality.

But the point remains that we now find ourselves in a bit more of a predicament than we should, had we seen them off as we should, so a tangerine victory tomorrow would be very welcome.

Good post.  The leagues been unpredictable as anything this year especially with St Mirren and Ayr now picking up points. I hope you boys stay up. 

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good post.  The leagues been unpredictable as anything this year especially with St Mirren and Ayr now picking up points. I hope you boys stay up. 

It certainly has been.

Everyone has been capable of taking points off everyone else, none more so than when we got a very good point at Easter Road, only for Ayr, Raith and St. Mirren to get wins on the same day too a couple of weeks back.

Therefore I expect there to be twists and turns aplenty in what should be an interesting run in.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

"As does Hughes" :lol:

It's him that sends them out playing like that. Punting the ball up the pitch constantly. That comes down to his tactics. Nothing else.

Aye right enuff we constantly punted the ball up the pitch against Utd,forgot about that

I'm hoping they do. Ayr have taken ten points from our games this season, largely down to our own downfall and much less to do with Ayr having quality.

But the point remains that we now find ourselves in a bit more of a predicament than we should, had we seen them off as we should, so a tangerine victory tomorrow would be very welcome.

Really? You should have seen us of? I've seen all 4 games against your lot and with the exception of the 2-2 game when we had 10 men and managed to grab a draw, we have been the better side by some margin.
We really should've won 3 and lost one.

1 hour ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

You need to remove the tinted specs.

We haven't really played well against you other than the 2-2 game

The fact that you've taken 8 points off us surely points to the fact that we've been better against the other teams in the league

It's going to be an interesting and nervewracking end to the season

Really? You should have seen us of? I've seen all 4 games against your lot and with the exception of the 2-2 game when we had 10 men and managed to grab a draw, we have been the better side by some margin.
We really should've won 3 and lost one.

In fairness, I didn't see the first two games, but the second game, the 3-0 one is widely regarded as one of, if not our worst performances of the season, so losing 3-0 to a rival at home is most definitely a missed opportunity.

The 2-2 one is definitely a missed opportunity for us, as I'm sure you'll agree. We were much the better side throughout and bossed the game, only to capitulate in spectacular fashion and gift a point.

On Saturday there, we were infront until just before half-time, when we conceded a poor goal. We should've been further ahead had Lewis Vaughan's centre to Andy Stirling been put anywhere else other than where it went, and we were the better side in the first half. We then started the second-half diabolically when our shape and gameplan were seemingly tossed aside, and we lost another goal, ultimately the winner. We then improved and until the game changed with the sending-off, we were pressing well. Thomson missed a massive chance near the end (good save from Fleming to be fair, albeit Thomson should have given him no chance) and we could have taken a massive point.

So while that seems like an essay I've typed reading it back, that's why I feel we've missed big opportunities to take points from you guys. We've been either the better side or in the ascendancy for large spells, certainly in the last two games.

If you guys were the better side by some margin in the first two games (the second game speaks for itself and I don't think there'll be any dubiety over that), then fair enough, but in the 2-2 we bossed it. And on Saturday there we were the better side in the first half, collapsed in the first twenty minutes of the second half, and then were pressing well right up until the end, missing a massive chance to equalise while we were pressing.

As I've said just now, I didn't see the first two games, but the 2-2 we were hugely better than Ayr, and on Saturday there we were infront, right in it until the game-altering decision from Charleston, and could've taken a deserved point had Thomson scored when he should've near the end.

No tinted specs in use her I'm afraid. Unless you're referring to my desire to see Dundee United win tomorrow. In which case, yes definitely, I'm looking at that game from my team's point of view, which would be much more beneficial if United win tomorrow.

As I've said just now, I didn't see the first two games, but the 2-2 we were hugely better than Ayr, and on Saturday there we were infront, right in it until the game-altering decision from Charleston, and could've taken a deserved point had Thomson scored when he should've near the end.

No tinted specs in use her I'm afraid. Unless you're referring to my desire to see Dundee United win tomorrow. In which case, yes definitely, I'm looking at that game from my team's point of view, which would be much more beneficial if United win tomorrow.

When you say game altering decision are you referring to the same one you've been moaning about for ages on the other thread that was in fact a sending off and happened after we were 2-1 up ?

Just curious

When you say game altering decision are you referring to the same one you've been moaning about for ages on the other thread that was in fact a sending off and happened after we were 2-1 up ?

Just curious

Yeah absolutely. While I've said I feel it was a bad challenge and a silly one for Gary to make, I don't think it was a sending-off. I haven't been 'moaning about it for ages', I've just given my opinion that I don't think it was a sending-off.

And yes you guys were 2-1 up and deservedly so, but we'd improved in the second half by that point and I felt we were a threat. We almost got a point at the end, but the dismissal curtailed our pressing and without a doubt altered the game.

3 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

The 3-0 was not a missed opportunity, it was an absolute shoeing, the 4-4 was a deserved point for you only because you scored 2 wind assisted goals playing with 10 men, equally we deserved a point in the 2-2 for the same reason, on Saturday we deserved to win so by my reckoning you haven't deserved more than a point from the 3 matches I attended(wasn't at the 2-2).

The 3-0 was not a missed opportunity, it was an absolute shoeing, the 4-4 was a deserved point for you only because you scored 2 wind assisted goals playing with 10 men, equally we deserved a point in the 2-2 for the same reason, on Saturday we deserved to win so by my reckoning you haven't deserved more than a point from the 3 matches I attended(wasn't at the 2-2).

I feel it (the 3-0 one) was a missed opportunity as it was a game at home, against a rival, and I've not been impressed by Ayr for the most part this season.

The 4-4 I wasn't there so I'll need to take your word for that.

The 2-2 was definitely a missed chance as we were 2-0 up with a minute to go against ten men. That in anyone's book is a missed opportunity, more so because we were the better side until the dying minute.

1 minute ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Yeah absolutely. While I've said I feel it was a bad challenge and a silly one for Gary to make, I don't think it was a sending-off. I haven't been 'moaning about it for ages', I've just given my opinion that I don't think it was a sending-off.

And yes you guys were 2-1 up and deservedly so, but we'd improved in the second half by that point and I felt we were a threat. We almost got a point at the end, but the dismissal curtailed our pressing and without a doubt altered the game.

So Fleming's tackle from behind didn't deserve a red but Docherty's not quite from behind tackle did even although Docherty didn't catch his man with either foot, good one.

1 minute ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I feel it (the 3-0 one) was a missed opportunity as it was a game at home, against a rival, and I've not been impressed by Ayr for the most part this season.

The 4-4 I wasn't there so I'll need to take your word for that.

The 2-2 was definitely a missed chance as we were 2-0 up with a minute to go against ten men. That in anyone's book is a missed opportunity, more so because we were the better side until the dying minute.

I'll just clarify the 3-0 for you, we absolutely hammered you, your mob turned up for the last 10 minutes trailing 3-0, a thumping isn't and never will be a missed opportunity in my book.

I could make the very same argument about the 4-4 game as you're making about the 2-2 game.

5 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

While you're quite right that Dumbarton came into it for the last 15 minutes it was a clear sending off from where I was sitting. These days in football if you slide in to someone from behind and don't win the ball you're going to get sent off. If I'm being a hundred percent honest it clearly never did any damage to him and he sensed an oppurtunity to make the game easier for his side by acting injured (wasn't required as Charleston should've sent him off regardless). Something that if your own player does it its seen as tactical but if youre an opposition fan its seen as cheating.

Suppose we're all hypocrites in a way.

Archived