The Relegation Battle

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RR #1 said:

I'm sure everyone will be delighted Livingston are getting promoted. The one thing the championship has lacked in recent years is away days to the Tony Macaroni stadium.

I think us going down actually did us some good, it's given the chance for some of the younger guys to come on as footballers. I really hope we have Halkett with us next season, has taken over as captain lately and has been amazing all season. Mullen is maturing more and more adding more to his game while Cadden has done brilliant on the wing - we've an average first team 11 of around 22 so it's been a good experience to actually win something for once too.

Away days are always inspiring to the Tony Macaroni Arena, I'm sure... Mind you with an apparent takeover in the offing and promotion hopefully we can get more fans into the stadium. It's sorely overdue for us, pulling 800 or so home fans each week isn't great at all. Should be aiming for 1,500 in the new season which is hugely optimistic.

6 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I think us going down actually did us some good, it's given the chance for some of the younger guys to come on as footballers. I really hope we have Halkett with us next season, has taken over as captain lately and has been amazing all season. Mullen is maturing more and more adding more to his game while Cadden has done brilliant on the wing - we've an average first team 11 of around 22 so it's been a good experience to actually win something for once too.

Away days are always inspiring to the Tony Macaroni Arena, I'm sure... Mind you with an apparent takeover in the offing and promotion hopefully we can get more fans into the stadium. It's sorely overdue for us, pulling 800 or so home fans each week isn't great at all. Should be aiming for 1,500 in the new season which is hugely optimistic.

Surely the football equivalent of DFS having a sale?

If we go down, I'll be hoping those signed for next season leave too. They've helped in this seasons demise, absolutely no determination or will to fight. Who's to say they'll do better in League 1, I implore all "players" in our team to seriously get out of the game. It's not for you.

I think it is getting hard for us given other results. We've done well recently, but we're still 4 points back and Ayr will probably go to Tannadice and be back to 7 clear before we play! 

Apparently we are on target however for the points total Jack aimed at when he sat the squad down in January. 

28 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I think it is getting hard for us given other results. We've done well recently, but we're still 4 points back and Ayr will probably go to Tannadice and be back to 7 clear before we play! 

Apparently we are on target however for the points total Jack aimed at when he sat the squad down in January. 

I'd be very surprised if Ayr win tomorrow night. They have done well to grind out results in recent games, but they are still a very average team. The best they'll get tomorrow is a point, and that's if United have an off night.

2 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

We'd have been one point clear of 9th if we'd lost on Saturday. Not even close to safe yet.

I think the next three fixtures suit us in an odd way. There's no danger of complacency. 

On 26/03/2017 at 09:18, Martin Nelson said:

We will definitely be in the bottom two by the time we get to the last two matches and I've zero faith in that squad having the bottle to win a couple of 'do or die' matches at the end of the season.

I was glass half full when I posted but in the cold light of day you may well be right.Problem we have as does Hughes is,we don't know what Rovers are turning up on a Saturday.If we continue to play like we did against Queens we,ll be doomed,if we play like we did against Utd the week before we have a chance of avoiding the drop.

I was glass half full when I posted but in the cold light of day you may well be right.Problem we have as does Hughes is,we don't know what Rovers are turning up on a Saturday.If we continue to play like we did against Queens we,ll be doomed,if we play like we did against Utd the week before we have a chance of avoiding the drop.

St Mirren are going to have to pick up a series of wins and Rovers have a disastrous run to finish bottom.

It's been a strange old season.  Last year we could barely buy a goal away from home, never mind a win, and this year we've scored in 86% of our away matches and scored more than anyone else on the road. We've drawn too many games (2-2 usually) at home this year which has stopped us from climbing the table.  I think not beating the Pars, St Mirren and Ayr at home were all massive chances missed and we'd be nearly safe if we'd converted those to wins. But we're 8th and it's still in our hands, we'd have taken that at the start of the season with 7 games left.

Definitely. Your last comment is spot on.

We've missed opportunities aplenty over the season, none more so than the ones you mention, not to add in Saturday at Ayr as well, but it's still in our hands and I'm confident that if we play the way we can in some of our remaining games, we'll pick up enough points to see us safe.

It's still all to play for though and it's still two from four.

8 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

St Mirren are going to have to pick up a series of wins and Rovers have a disastrous run to finish bottom.

Challenge accepted.

We have the worst away form in the league, have lost 5 away games on the spin, and have 4 of our last 6 games away from home. 

7 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Definitely. Your last comment is spot on.

We've missed opportunities aplenty over the season, none more so than the ones you mention, not to add in Saturday at Ayr as well, but it's still in our hands and I'm confident that if we play the way we can in some of our remaining games, we'll pick up enough points to see us safe.

It's still all to play for though and it's still two from four.

Unfortunately after Saturday's result it's no longer in our hands. We need Ray McKinnon (horses arse) to do us a favour and make sure Ayr don't gain any points in their game in hand.

Archived