The Relegation Battle

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you convert your predicted points gain for each team into wins and draws:
Dunfermline with 8 games remaining need 11 points - 3 wins 2 draws 3 defeats is plausible but look at their fixtures and ask where the three wins are coming from?
Raith need 8 points - maybe home wins v Queens and Ayr and a point from Morton and a point from?? ...hmm!
and so on.

Och I just made quick gut feeling predictions on the outcome of each game. Nothing scientific. Yesterday highlights that anyone can get points from anyone. Dunfermline could easily beat Raith, Dumbarton and Morton or Falkirk at home. A couple of other draws too seems quite likely to me. The teams will all be looking to take max points from the games against each other and currently even Dundee United look like they could be there for the taking. I have though been pretty generous with my projections.

Form, schmorm, it's gonna come down to bottle & avoiding goal conceding mistakes, as usual.

Wonder if we'll get one of those "form busting" minutes when one team gets a lucky goal and another loses one - that's what football's all about for us diddy club supporters.

Have to say, at 3/1 I'm tempted by an insurance bet. Very long odds for a team currently a point/game in hand adrift. 

Anyone who has seen St Mirren in recent games will agree they are not going to finish bottom. They are significantly better than at least the 5 teams above them and probably even some teams higher than that. Yes you will lose games, between now and May but you will win more than you lose.

3 hours ago, Tonsilitis said:

If you convert your predicted points gain for each team into wins and draws:

Dunfermline with 8 games remaining need 11 points - 3 wins 2 draws 3 defeats is plausible but look at their fixtures and ask where the three wins are coming from?

Raith need 8 points - maybe home wins v Queens and Ayr and a point from Morton and a point from?? ...hmm!

and so on.

Yeah, I have to say I also thought the predicted points tallies for all of the teams was a little generous.

6. Queens
7. Dumbarton
8. Raith
9. St.Mirren
10. Ayr

St. Mirren have are on great form but have a very tough run in, I think they'll make it off the bottom but I don't see where the points will come from to take them out of the play-offs.

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Can work both ways play the top 4 in the last few games i suppose, we have shown we can beat Hibs and Utd recently, the top 4 is pretty much set too so whilst their could be a battle for 2nd, maybe 1st, the focus will surely be preparing for the play offs.

Much more interesting at both ends now!

I'd say the top 4 is set in stone now, something you couldn't say about the bottom 4.

3 wins in the bottom half yesterday gives the indication I tend to fear playing teams fighting more. St Mirren on paper I see have a bit of a killer last four games but you can hope Hibs win the league and down tools like most champions do, United you'll know inside out by then and maybe Theyll rest or experiment with players as they are not challenging the top two.

Mortons and ourselves results in next few weeks will perhaps settle out 2nd place sooner than later, tho if Morton continue and even challenge Hibs, your last game maybe interesting more ways than one.

I suppose the key is to win games v teams around you in coming weeks but 3/1 is generous even tho I tipped your lot to stay up.

At this stage I think raith are looking likely to finish bottom, assuming ayr, dumbarton and st mirren continue to pick up points. Ayr away to dundee utd could be a biggie, especially considering how pish utd are at present.

I'm not so sure about that one. We've been rotten for months, but yesterday was a good gutsy performance. And if we show more of that I can't see many teams beating us. Plus if we win on Saturday then we go level with queens and pull further away from st Mirren who don't play in the league this weekend and potentially pull further away from either Ayr or Dumbarton (potentially both if they draw) I can't see ayr picking up more points than us the rest of the season

Done think any team has a right to be overly confident. Rovers been awful for months, Dumbarton somehow find themselves below us, Ayr aren't great but can still grind a result out and St Mirren still have a bit of work to do.

IF (big if) we beat Queens them we won't be far away from staying up.

6. Queens

7. Dumbarton

8. Raith

9. St.Mirren

10. Ayr

St. Mirren have are on great form but have a very tough run in, I think they'll make it off the bottom but I don't see where the points will come from to take them out of the play-offs.

Eh helloooooooo where are we....surely not 5th??!!

And there's no danger Rovers will finish bottom.

Archived