Were ps3 and xbox 360 better than what we have now.

pub car king

I have a ps4 recently it took 18 hours of wired Internet connection to download cod remastered a 9 year old game.

Every week there is a new download that takes ages to download 

There is no backwarcompatability for old games.

ItIt costs money to use these online services that are always downloading slowly. 

The wifi chips are shite.

So this is the question previous generation (ps3) consoles better?

In sonys case you had online worldwide play gratis, it was quick and efficient.

You put a new game disc in and within 10 minutes you were playing the game online) or not.

It was the bast of both worlds the new generation ps4 is riddled with issues which lead to a poor experience.

Have we gone backwards ?

I think this generation has been pretty poor. Thankfully I have a decent Internet connection but it's still a pain having to wait for the latest system or game upgrade to download.

There has been a hell of a lot of remakes and remasters this generation rather than original game ideas. A lot of the games coming out are also riddled with bugs or missing features at launch. Queue an endless number of patches. Doom is now taking up over 60 gb which is excessive for one game.

I was thinking this the other day. I'm not sure I'd be that bothered if I had never made the step up to ps4. The games I play most are available on ps3 , I wouldn't need to pay to play online and I prefer the ps3 controller. Luckily I only paid £150 for my ps4, if I had paid £300+ I would be raging.

I got a ps3 just over a year ago and its good console for me as don't get that much time to play games anyway. I think only once I have broke the tenner mark on a game. Games drop in value relatively quickly unless you know the online part of it is most important might as well wait a couple years then get it as its still new to me. Works fine for Sky go as well which is handy as can use the folks subscription to watch that and less choppy then using the pc for it and access to box sets series is nice. Also plays blu rays so only £30 more than cheap blu ray player and you get a games console.

The UK's infrastructure isn't fit to cope with the shift towards online media, it's got bugger all to do with your "wifi chip" (what does that even mean?)

If you put shit in then you'll get shit out (that'll take 18 hours to download)

50 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

The UK's infrastructure isn't fit to cope with the shift towards online media, it's got bugger all to do with your "wifi chip" (what does that even mean?)

If you put shit in then you'll get shit out (that'll take 18 hours to download)

That's one of the bizarre things - the download model is geared towards the US market, and their internet access certainly isn't any better than ours, with ludicrous prices and lack of high-speed availability common in many areas. I can only think that waiting for days before playing your new games is becoming the norm.

Get a SNES or Mega Drive instead, lads. It's all been downhill from there  :P

There's backwards compatibility on Xbox One. It's the first time it's been useful to me as there's plenty of decent games on Xbox 360 I haven't played and it's integrated really well into the Xbox One.

15 hours ago, pub car king said:

I have a ps4 recently it took 18 hours of wired Internet connection to download cod remastered a 9 year old game.

Every week there is a new download that takes ages to download 

There is no backwarcompatability for old games.

ItIt costs money to use these online services that are always downloading slowly. 

The wifi chips are shite.

So this is the question previous generation (ps3) consoles better?

In sonys case you had online worldwide play gratis, it was quick and efficient.

You put a new game disc in and within 10 minutes you were playing the game online) or not.

It was the bast of both worlds the new generation ps4 is riddled with issues which lead to a poor experience.

Have we gone backwards ?

In a word - No.

This gen got off to quite a slow start but I have been very impressed with the quality of games over the last 18 months or so.  I'm finding that Xbox1 is already showing quite a strong catalogue of games.  

Main downside is the install times and the days of buying a game because you have "the fever" for it are pretty much gone.  Although I will say since I got fibre in I'm finding this to be less of a problem.

As someone who transitioned from the fantastic 7th gen consoles to PC for this generation i can honestly say im happy with my choice as thus far the 8th gen of consoles has been an absolute joke, they weren't fit for purpose, they have no where near the power needed for a remotely decent generation and now we are seeing these pro versions of the consoles that have been beefed up and still aren't good enough. From what ive heard the PS4 Pro for example cant play games like FF15 on 4k which was meant to be their entire purpose. Personally i think the race to 4k gaming is a pointless one as 1080p is more than suitable and if the console makers could get that into their heads and focus on performance over graphical quality then many of the issues would be solved. 

From what i heard on a gaming podcast the last guardian was lucky to hit 20fps at release on a PS4 and on a Pro it barely hit 30 and it was far from consistent. Its meant to be entirely unplayable at 4k, where it can drop under single digit fps at times. The 7th gen consoles were massively powerful for their time at release and they comfortably did the job all the way until their end. At this rate we will see the likes of a PS4 Pro 2 or the like if they keep trying to push things well beyond the limits.

That's one of the bizarre things - the download model is geared towards the US market, and their internet access certainly isn't any better than ours, with ludicrous prices and lack of high-speed availability common in many areas. I can only think that waiting for days before playing your new games is becoming the norm.
Get a SNES or Mega Drive instead, lads. It's all been downhill from there  [emoji14]

I'd have said that the model is aimed at the worldwide market, considering the impressive speeds that most of the world is capable of receiving compared to the UK/US. Region-free media available to the world? Aye, nae bather.

I think gaming is as good as its ever been right now, pc gaming just isn't a big force in the market right now outside of a few hard-core fanbases ie dota 2 and league of legends.

I was dead against the idea of an upgraded console at first but having seen first hand the power of a ps4 pro both at stabilising older releases and the birth of mainstream 4k gaming I've been soundly converted.

Videogames. Currently awesome.

Fancied a few games of FIFA before bed tonight, fired it up to be faced with another fucking update.

45 minutes in and I'm still waiting for it to finish downloading.

Fancied a few games of FIFA before bed tonight, fired it up to be faced with another fucking update.

6 minutes for me, unlucky x

6 minutes for me, unlucky x

Have concluded the problem is in fact my shitey internet, as I have tried 4 times to qualify for the weekend leagues and not got past 20 minutes in any of them.. one time I lost connection before kick off.

F*ck BT

10 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Do folk seriously not put their ps4 in rest mode :lol:

I do sometimes, but haven't been playing it that much recently so have been turning it off. 

Which in hindsight is probably the reason for there being an update, so I should have turned it on earlier

Have concluded the problem is in fact my shitey internet, as I have tried 4 times to qualify for the weekend leagues and not got past 20 minutes in any of them.. one time I lost connection before kick off.

F*ck BT

I do sometimes, but haven't been playing it that much recently so have been turning it off. 
Which in hindsight is probably the reason for there being an update, so I should have turned it on earlier

You can take a horse to water......

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I find that for whatever reason mine won't update in rest mode 

Checked the settings to make sure it has net access? 

Archived