Options to play right back.

Russell Martin - Norwich City.  
Ikechi Anya - Derby City. 
Steven Whittaker - Norwich City.  

One of our 3 or 4 leftbacks.   

David Gray - Hibs has been mentioned.   

What other options do we have in the SPL and lower leagues in England ?   

With Patterson injured Hutton is still our best right back he's rarely let Scotland down over his 50 caps. For Slovenia I would go with Martin at right back has played there a lot over his career. That means Hanley and Berra at centre back and then a choice between Robertson and tierney at left back.

slim pickings indeed. Other available options?

bardsley

whittaker

love

palmer

Then I think its guys like paul mcginn cammy kerr.

strange how we have a few left backs coming through but nothing on other side. Case of left footed players always getting put left back/ left wing at a young age as only options? 

Read a quote there from Kieran Tierney saying he's open to follow in the steps of Danny McGrain in playing on the right as he needs to work on his right foot.

What he said was that he would be open to playing on the right for Celtic as he has played there at youth level, but he would need to work on his right foot.

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but your post made it seem like he was saying he'd be happy to play there against Canada as he needs a bit of practice.

I'd try Robertson and Tierney in the same team - one left one right - against Canada.  It's not really going to tell us much, as they (hopefully) won't be tested as much as they will in a competitive game against quality opposition, but if it goes horribly wrong then at least we've tried it there and  can forget about it.  Not that it's a particularly good thing, but it frees up Martin to be a center back too.

Phil Bardsley is playing regularly in the EPL for Stoke City. He played over 90 minutes against Chelsea on Saturday before his red card for a second yellow in injury time. And yet Strachan still ignores him and overloads the squad with left-backs! 

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Phil Bardsley is playing regularly in the EPL for Stoke City. He played over 90 minutes against Chelsea on Saturday before his red card for a second yellow in injury time. And yet Strachan still ignores him and overloads the squad with left-backs! 

Ludicrous he ignores Bardsley. 

I have a feeling he's going to try a back 3. Wouldn't be surprised to see Martin Berra Tierney with Anya and Robertson as wingbacks.

Gordon

Martin Berra/Mulgrew Tierney

Anya Brown Fletcher Robertson

Snodgrass

Martin Griffiths

Similar system as Wales play.

Archived