Grief Culture

Torpar

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Torpar said:

I am the only one that thinks the general 'grief culture' in football and the world in general has gone a bit too far.

I read on another message board that they are trying to arrange a minute's applause at a game this Saturday because someone's grandad died. Now I don't know the exact circumstances of his death but I'm guessing it's something to do with being old, which isn't exactly tragic. While I was sad when my grandfather died, I was able to accept that when people get old they die.

The whole Bradley Lowery thing is of course very sad, being struck by cancer at such a young age shows how cruel the world can be. But it seems now that every time a team plays Sunderland they have to show off their flag saying 'Cancer has no colours' or something similar. Followed by Facebook comments like 'Respect, from a Magpies fan' etc.

I just find the whole minutes applause or turning on your phone lights for a dead fan a little over played and mostly done for the 'likes', people finding any old excuse to do it now. Or I might just be a miserable b*****d, happy Friday everyone

If I was that cut up about it I'd be at home crying, not at the football. Get it all tae f**k.

4 hours ago, Torpar said:

I am the only one that thinks the general 'grief culture' in football and the world in general has gone a bit too far.

I read on another message board that they are trying to arrange a minute's applause at a game this Saturday because someone's grandad died. Now I don't know the exact circumstances of his death but I'm guessing it's something to do with being old, which isn't exactly tragic. While I was sad when my grandfather died, I was able to accept that when people get old they die.

The whole Bradley Lowery thing is of course very sad, being struck by cancer at such a young age shows how cruel the world can be. But it seems now that every time a team plays Sunderland they have to show off their flag saying 'Cancer has no colours' or something similar. Followed by Facebook comments like 'Respect, from a Magpies fan' etc.

I just find the whole minutes applause or turning on your phone lights for a dead fan a little over played and mostly done for the 'likes', people finding any old excuse to do it now. Or I might just be a miserable b*****d, happy Friday everyone

This is what happens when you turn a working mans sport into something family freindly. Arenas around the country are no longer cauldrons of passion and hate, but now vestibules of teary hormones, usually resereved for an Adele concert.

Kodi and Mobdro are great for picking and chosing your games btw.

I believe, maybe cynically, that a great majority of it is people trying to out do each other. It's quite sickening if you think that way, a real breakdown of respecting other people's privacy and right to grieve alone.

Rangers remeberance day thing is the worst, look at us Celtic look at us. Come on soldiers parade about. 

c***s

22 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Rangers remeberance day thing is the worst, look at us Celtic look at us. Come on soldiers parade about. 

In typical diddy fashion you're conflating our 'armed services' shite. with our 'remembrance day' shebang.

I would happily give up the former...it is a bit of a GIRUY-fest.

Taking a moment to remember the fallen, though?  On the Saturday nearest Armistice day?  In the (vain) hope we remember the war to end all wars? There is absolutely nothing contentious about that.

Archived