Grief Culture

Torpar

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

So grief culture criticism extends to everyone regardless of circumstance?  I thought the guy was making a point whereas the organisers of the event were acting like arseholes.

53 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So grief culture criticism extends to everyone regardless of circumstance?  I thought the guy was making a point whereas the organisers of the event were acting like arseholes.

"They told me that it was not possible [to have minute's silence] because neither a minute could be wasted," Alvarez told local media.

He added: "So I started a minute later. But I do not mind, I have a feeling worth more than if I win all the gold medals in the world."

Refusing to have a minute's silence before a specific race isn't really what I'd call arsehole behaviour. What point was he making? That all sympathy must be public and documented? That grief is no longer allowed to be private? That we all must care about things that happen all over the world?

44 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

"They told me that it was not possible [to have minute's silence] because neither a minute could be wasted," Alvarez told local media.

He added: "So I started a minute later. But I do not mind, I have a feeling worth more than if I win all the gold medals in the world."

Refusing to have a minute's silence before a specific race isn't really what I'd call arsehole behaviour. What point was he making? That all sympathy must be public and documented? That grief is no longer allowed to be private? That we all must care about things that happen all over the world?

I don't know anything about the organisation of competitive swimming events but having seen such things on TV I refuse to believe that 1 minute could not be spared, yet that was the excuse given.  I think public, televised events in the wake of attacks like the Barcelona one are more than just symbolic, I think they send out a message.

I probably share your general view on the grief culture but in this instance I applaud this guy's actions.

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I think it was an admirable thing to do.

I assume the last race was cancelled due to time constraints.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Between this and Diana you've gotten yourself in a right old two n' eight.

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Maybe the guy was just in the water for too long and had gone all wrinkly.

f**k knows what Danger's excuse is other than being older than a tortoise.

nintchdbpict000347151884.jpg?strip=all&w

I didn't know Masters swimming was a thing. 

Next time my boss asks me a question I don't have a clue how to answer, or I just can't be arsed, I'll hold up a sign saying I'm doing a minute's silence for whatever tragedy is in the news that day.

Archived