Grief Culture

Torpar

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Crying over the death of someone you didn't know is pretty fucked up IMO.

You can have emotional attachment though and I can understand folk shedding a tear in a quiet moment over someone they'd invested a lot of time and emotion. It's the big drawn-out outpourings I don't get. With Di, it was a shame as two young lads lost their mum. I remember shedding a tear when I walked into Tesco one morning and the papers all had pictures of Norrie McCathie (Pars captain at the time). Took me a moment to work out why he was on the covers. I only knew him to say hello to when I was (underage) drinking in his pub but he'd been someone I'd looked up to (as a footballer and swordsman) for ten years or so. I just don't think the world should ground to a halt for the general public every time some old but famous codger pops their clogs. 

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

the boy band of the time. Bizarre times.

14 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't remember them, doubt I'd have liked them much.

I don't remember them either but they sound...interesting.

This entire thing about two young lads losing their mum is nonsense, the kids were still going to grow up as royalty without any sort of idea of day to day struggles that the test of us have to deal with. What about all the other kids in the world who lost a parent and have to grow up worse off as a result?!

I understand about the emotional attachment for celebrities who have contributed to your life and are a part of you growing up although I don't think I have been too bothered about any celebrity death.

9 minutes ago, throbber said:

This entire thing about two young lads losing their mum is nonsense, the kids were still going to grow up as royalty without any sort of idea of day to day struggles that the test of us have to deal with. What about all the other kids in the world who lost a parent and have to grow up worse off as a result?!

I understand about the emotional attachment for celebrities who have contributed to your life and are a part of you growing up although I don't think I have been too bothered about any celebrity death.

Don't get me wrong, I think they should all face the guillotine or firing squad. Just wait for the tears from your bird when the local chippy owner croaks. 

38 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

I had a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat when Airdrie died.

The rest of Scottish football probably had a tears of joy in their eyes.

Any tears should have been for their unpaid creditors as the new Airdrie United emerged moments later with a clean accounts page.

Aye, Royals don't care about their Mum dying, they've got all their crowns and shit to play with.

Don't give me that shit, it's sad that two kids had to grow up without a mum but it's not as if the children were destined for a dark insecure future because of it.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I cried during I Am Legend at the bit with the dog.

I cry at loads of movies. And TV. Mrs Landingham and Leo dying in the West Wing were particular tear jerkers, and big John Coffey in the Green Mile.

The worst thing about Diana dying was the radio stations playing days on end of funeral-esque music. I vaguely remember Nicky Campbell publicly naming and shaming someone who'd emailed in asking when normal service would be restored.

w****r.

2 hours ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Ronnie Moran - Liverpool legend dies......how many minutes of clapping / silence do you think our scouse friends will have & at how many matches?

Due to international break, they've missed their chance. Fear not, according to BBC news (honestly) the players and staff held a minute's silence before training today.

Archived